PDA

View Full Version : Encyclopedia of Aviation

planeenglish
26th Aug 2006, 15:02
HI guys and gals,

Can anyone recommend an encyclopedia of aviation to give as a gift to an aviation nut? I'd hope that it would cover aviation all from the beginning to present.

Thanks to all,
PE

jabberwok
26th Aug 2006, 16:51
Tricky things to recommend and many fall well short of the title, being nothing more than coffee table reading.

Can I ask what sort of book you have in mind? Would it be a listing of aircraft or a more general coverage of aviation itself with details about aerodynamics, history, systems etc?

planeenglish
26th Aug 2006, 17:09
Hi jabberwok, thanks for replying. Actually, well, a bit of everything that you mention really. I figured that something existed like an encyclopedia that covered all those things that you mention in a set of volumes like I used to read the Encyclopedia Britannica as a child. I have searched on the net but have found just aircraft or design or aviators separately, nothing combined.

Maybe I should write one....hmmmm....:hmm: :ok:

I am sure now that electronically this is more feasible but am a book hound and so is the person to whom I'd like to give this set as a gift.

Thanks again for your help,
PE

planeenglish
26th Aug 2006, 17:51
I wonder if whirlybird would know something? hmmmm....

PE

henry crun
26th Aug 2006, 22:39
Have a look at "Flight: 100 Years of Aviation" by R.G.Grant. isbn 0-7513-37323

There is input from the Imperial War Museum at Duxford, and The Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum.

It is quite a big book, 12ins by 10, and about 430 pages.

JDK
27th Aug 2006, 02:18
Have a look at "Flight: 100 Years of Aviation" by R.G.Grant. isbn 0-7513-37323

There is input from the Imperial War Museum at Duxford, and The Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum.

It's a good book, well written. The only other book I'd be happy to reccommend for someone seriously interested in aviation would be 'Chronicle of Flight' 1872031307, but I suspect it's no longer in print, but it's the only 'compendium' that I find useful.

Most others are simply too generalist, or superficial. IMHO, in 2006 the encyclopaedia is dead as a print medium.

There are many many good aviation books out there now, but they are addressing areas that were never covered before, in detail, so their focus tends to be very narrow.

HTH

planeenglish
27th Aug 2006, 11:16
Thanks guys. I have purchased "Flight: 100 Years of Aviation" by R.G.Grant; "Aviation: The First 100 Years"; and "Chronicle of Flight" both by Bill Gunston.

Let's see if they are what I am looking for. I may use them for research to compile a real account of aviation not for coffee table use. :rolleyes: What do you all think?

I agree with you JDK regarding your commentThere are many many good aviation books out there now, but they are addressing areas that were never covered before, in detail, so their focus tends to be very narrow
But think the chronicles of aerodynamics, aircraft, engines, aviators etc. would be nice to have in one format. Maybe in e-format is what 2006 wants but think there are still some people out there that want print form. I don't see why both can't co-exist.

I appreciate your help, all of you.

Thanks,
PE