PDA

View Full Version : EFT and beyond

kharmael
25th Aug 2006, 22:46
Greetings all, I recently had the luck and privilege to be accepted into the RAF as a pilot :). I'm not entirely sure when I'm starting IOT, but I have a few questions regarding EFT and Advanced Training.

When I went to the DSI for Int aptitude testing I met a chopped rotary pilot ,who (understandably) was a bit down having failed the emergency landing section of his Griffin element; was then rejected and had to re-branch.

My query is regarding the ruthlessness of testing/ examiners during flight training and the proportion of students that get chopped during training. How steep is the learning curve and do you have chances to retake tests if not successful the first time? I understand that until you have finished at your relevant OCU you are never guaranteed to pass, but I'd like to estimate my chances :bored:

This is somewhat of a stab in the dark and probably wouldn't give me any sort of edge, its just to allow me to have a realistic image in my mind.

Thanks in advance

K

WIWOWessex
25th Aug 2006, 22:49
If I wasn't so sceptical I'd say you were fishing!!

kharmael
25th Aug 2006, 22:52
If I wasn't so sceptical I'd say you were fishing!!
Believe it or not, I'm not looking for someone to come and say "don't worry lad you'll be fine" <removes pipe from mouth and pats newbie on the back>

I'd just like any inside info on the amount of people who get chopped from flying training, depsite my rather verbose intro/ request :p

ratty1
25th Aug 2006, 23:26
Believe it or not, I'm not looking for someone to come and say "don't worry lad you'll be fine"

Get a bl***y grip you nancy boy. Face upto your demons and fly......fly like you aint never flown before. Failure is for whimps.............. You dont get second chances around here and "And if you screw up just this much, you'll be flying a cargo plane full of rubber dog **** out of Hong Kong!" (Top gun) :rolleyes: There is that better........................:)

Dan Winterland
26th Aug 2006, 11:16
Speaking as someone who used to fly cargo planes full of rubber dog sh!t out of Hong Kong - it's not a bad job actually!

Roguedent
26th Aug 2006, 12:07
Now we fly the rubber dog sh!t out of the desert. Best thing I have brought out of there is...wait for it...USED TRACTOR TYRES!!:D Apparently it wouldn't be environmentally friendly to dispose of them there!!!!:ugh: :ugh:

Back to the thread, I agree with Ratty. Don't think about failure. If you do, then you are half way there. :ugh: Think about sitting at that bar in Miramar (SP) and singing the worst rendition of the Righteous Brothers ever heard.:oh: In my time on the Queen of the Skies, we have had chopped two guys, so even the multi boys aren't safe from the dreaded words - SUSPENDED FROM TRAINING :{ - Talking to guys who have been chopped is not always the best idea, as they will have a pretty biased view of the system, as they may not of seen the light from the other side of the tunnel, and enjoyed the training. I saw the light in the tunnel and outside it. I was lucky at JEFTs to be creamed off Multi:ok: and haven't looked back since. ENJOY IT and thats an order OR RATTY WILL CHOP YOU HIMSELF - :ok: :ok: