PDA

View Full Version : 1957 Austin Series III Runway Control Vehicle

brokenlink
25th Aug 2006, 20:21
Slightly different one this.
Some years ago I was a member of a preservation group at North Weald, Essex where we had a couple of Meteors etc.
I purchased from the RAFM Henlow clearance sale the above vehicle registration VXN 890. Although dating from 1957 it had just 189 miles on the clock! The control cab was doube glazed with heaters, window blinds and other goodies. Regrettably the group folded some time later and following an attack by vandals I sold the vehicle to a local aircraft salvage dealer who I believe sold it on.
Anyone know what became of it?

gas path
25th Aug 2006, 21:39
Looks like it may be around somewhere
The last known details (http://www.vehiclelicence.gov.uk/EvlPortalApp/application;JSESSIONID_EvlPortalApp=EvtFqDYj95uIs1d6p8da5EwF 1K0k5i1Ba9oD8VQK3uIvpgg8bzeF!757786451!1863894345?pageid=Veh icle+Enquiry&portletid=VehicleEnquiry&portletns=VehicleEnquiry_en&wfevent=link.next):ok:

Newforest
26th Aug 2006, 07:34
Looks like it may be around somewhere
The last known details (http://www.vehiclelicence.gov.uk/EvlPortalApp/application;JSESSIONID_EvlPortalApp=EvtFqDYj95uIs1d6p8da5EwF 1K0k5i1Ba9oD8VQK3uIvpgg8bzeF!757786451!1863894345?pageid=Veh icle+Enquiry&portletid=VehicleEnquiry&portletns=VehicleEnquiry_en&wfevent=link.next):ok:

System works, thanks for the link!

gas path
26th Aug 2006, 10:27
Oooer! Now I'm not so sure, I just entered the reg details for a couple of my old cars and I'm dead sure they be piles of rust now:uhoh: :{ :{ :sad:

brokenlink
30th Aug 2006, 21:11
Gas Path,
TVM for the info, tried to DVLA site but regrettably did not get far. Just curious to know whether the vehicle still exists of has been reduced to beer cans. Can't be many painted in orange a white checks.

Regards,

BL

gas path
30th Aug 2006, 23:02
Copied and pasted from DVLA site:

VEHICLE ENQUIRY Services Provided By DVLA:
The enquiry is complete
The vehicle details for VXN 890 are:
Date of Liability 01 06 1996
Date of First Registration 18 03 1959
Year of Manufacture Not Available
Cylinder Capacity (cc) Not Available
CO2 Emissions Not Available
Fuel Type Petrol
Export Marker Not Applicable
Vehicle Status Unlicensed
Vehicle Colour WHITE
Vehicle Type Approval
The information contained on this page is correct at the time of enquiry.

So it looks like it was still around in 1996, therefore I bet that its in a garage
or barn somewhere.:ok:

buccsociety
5th Sep 2006, 15:56
Well I may have come up with the answer. There is a Runway control vehicle that fits this description at Gloucestershire Airport.

Heavily beaten up and in serious need of restoration, I have seen it on the occassions that we have worked on Bucc XX889.

Unfortunately I am unable to confirm its id as there is no sign of registration plates, but its certainly orange and white check, and it seems as though the control cab was quite unique.

Brokenlink, could you give me some info that may help firm up its id?

In the meantime, I will try and get some images sorted out.

Regards - Nige.

brokenlink
12th Sep 2006, 17:45
Nige,
Many thanks for getting back to me. It certainly got a beating at North Weald, kids came over the perimeter fence and smashed every window on it! Don't know if this helps but the radiator access panel just under the windscreen was replaced with a less rusty one with brown paint on it. Shows up clearly from the otherwise overall orange paint on the cab (only the control body being orange & white checks).
Have some photo's somewhere, will dig them out and see if I can post them here for all to enjoy.

Regards,

BL.