PDA

View Full Version : Dunk Test in Southampton

gberry
25th Aug 2006, 16:45
Looking to fly over the channel in a R44, understand I have to take a dunk test in a tank and thatthere is one in Southampton. Does anybody have details on the test and on the company/organisation I have to get in touch with.

Thanks for your help and advice in advance.
Graeme the fish

Twiddle
25th Aug 2006, 17:11
Who says its mandatory?

I've flown over the channel (which one?) a few times in a 22 and a 44 and never had a dunk test (fingers crossed it'll stay that way!)

VeeAny
25th Aug 2006, 17:18
Whilst it might be a good idea to go and do dunk training, there is no legal requirement for you to do so to fly across the channel privately (which I presume this is). I suppose if you are hiring the machine the operator could mandate it, but most don't.

Commercially obviously a different ball game, but would need two engines to start with + whatever training specified in your ops manual.

Blind Bob
25th Aug 2006, 20:41
Do it for your own peace of mind.................try Andark, they have a 'dunker' in Swanwick. Tel on 01489 581755
Enjoy, BB:E

nimbostratus
26th Aug 2006, 09:36
Is it mandatory to undertake 'dunker training' for commercial ops? I've heard that the North Sea pilots are not forced to do it (although it could be part of the employment conditions I suppose).

VeeAny
26th Aug 2006, 10:46
I don't think its mandatory according to the regulations for AOC work (never been to the rigs) however i would imagine that most of the operators mandate it in their operations manuals or perhaps because of Health and Safety regulations.

Maybe someone from the Oil industry in the UK can point us to the right place !

V.

sandy helmet
26th Aug 2006, 12:05
Its more of a company requirement, but I would recommend it to anyone flying over water - even if just experience the shock and disorientation of ditching. It could save your life

rotorspin
26th Aug 2006, 12:09
I think taking a dunk in a tank before setting out over open water is a great idea. Can't imagine it would cost that much...?
Lets face it if you lose an R44 engine over water, you are going to get wet, so some preparation as to what to expect and how to escape can't be a bad thing.
Not sure if there is a tank with specific types? I would imagine most of them would be based around large turbines?
If its the english channel then there is plenty of sea traffic so chances are with a good radio call and some quick thinking you could get picked up pretty quick. However that won't prepare you for escaping a cockpit underwater.
Maybe it should be mandatory? :confused:

sss
28th Aug 2006, 22:01
did my huet at warsash maritime training centre in southampton, details on their website