PDA

View Full Version : Netgear Wireless Router

Woomera
25th Aug 2006, 11:05
Sadly, I own a Netgear WGU624 wireless router which I am on the verge of drop kicking the :mad: :mad: thing into the fish pond!!! :ugh: I use it for a home network.

I have an ADSL connection via Telstra, Australia. If I take the router out of the system, no problems except the kids threaten me with criminal violence as their computers are disconnected. :*

At irregular intervals usually not exceeding 20 minutes or so, the router goes off line and "loses" the internet connection. It is necessary to reboot the ADSL Moden (Alcatel Speed Touch Home) and Router before I get the internet back.

I've called Microsoft and Netgear on a number of occasions and this very helpful gentleman or one of his colleagues:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v315/Woomera/Microsoft.jpg

Gives me another useless cure.

I hang up - and the Router again goes off line!!! :{

The Idle Timeout is set to "0". Firmware Version V1.0.1.11EN. My PCs run XP Professional and Office and all updates are currect. My antivirus is E Trust. What other information is required?

We have Netgear components at work and don't seem to have problems.

Why me??? :{ :{ :{

Please be kind to me, I'm getting very :mad: frustrated and as a computer technician I'd probably make a good diesel fitter.

Sunny Woomera

airborne_artist
25th Aug 2006, 16:24
I'd call them again and tell them it needs to be replaced. Alternatively call the retailer and do likewise. I don't know the price in Oz, but here in the UK they are cheap - about £40 - so just get another one that isn't Netgear and then send the Netgear one back for a refund.

Tisme
25th Aug 2006, 20:01
I too gave up with my Netgear Router it was totally :mad:

Brought a Linksys and have had no problems since.

airborne_artist
25th Aug 2006, 20:28
I bought three Netgear USB wifi adaptors two and a bit years ago. I have one of the originals, and two warranty replacements. The Belkin wifi router also died, and was replaced under warranty. That one is still in its box. 75% of the wifi bits I bought failed within two years.

Woomera
25th Aug 2006, 22:06
Makes me feel better to know I wasn't singled out for the dud router!! :mad:

Mate of mine suggests I buy a D-Link wireless router. Are they too built on Friday afternoons and supported by the above gentleman's cousins and colleagues?

I also need two wireless routers in two of our branch offices to use in conjunction with security surveillance cameras.

ormus55
25th Aug 2006, 23:11
ive had trouble with belkin, linksys and dlink.
the netgear834 is the best ive used and installed.
comes c/w a modem so you can chuck yours away.

Woomera
26th Aug 2006, 04:54
"...comes c/w a modem..."

My moden is ISP supplied. The Netgear WGU624 manual says to plug the router into the modem........

Are you suggesting plug the line from the ADSL phone line filter direct into the router????

spekesoftly
26th Aug 2006, 07:33
Just to clarify; the Netgear DG834G has a 'built-in' ADSL modem, the WGU634 does not.

ormus55
26th Aug 2006, 08:21
yes thats correct. the netgear834 comes with a built in modem. its a complete package.
modems supplied by isp,s are usually usb types. these cause no end of problems. in fact it may well be your problem, and not your router.

after saying all that, you may still have a duff router. wireless items are not the most reliable pieces of kit in the world.

Basil
26th Aug 2006, 08:50
I've had a Netgear DG834G V2 and WG511 card for about 2 years.
I use the integrated modem and it's been notable as one of the 'pooter accessories which was relatively straightforward to install and works as advertised.
The Netgear Control Panel seems more intuitive than others I've set up so it's easy to stop it broadcasting it's SSID and to limit access to known MAC numbers. I don't use encryption.
Can't believe the number of wide open routers my PDA picks up - handy for checking e-mail etc without using GPRS though :ok:

Keef
27th Aug 2006, 00:06
Been there...

I fixed up two daughters with WiFi at their homes, one clergy friend, and my home and hideaway cottage.

Belkin was consistently dreadful, and has now been thrown out. The rest is a mix of allsorts, and all have been fine.

The Netgear DG834G I bought for me has dud sockets - if the cables are held in tight with rubber bands (ooer!) then it's OK. Otherwise, it drops and reconnects at random. Netgear are totally unable to comprehend that I don't like that and want a properly working replacement. So we stick with the rubber band fix.

Up here in the rural hideaway, I'm using a DLink modem, a Linksys router, and a DLink Wireless access point. It "just works".

So ... if your mix of bits is annoying you, I'd be inclined to get a Netgear DG834G - everything in one box - and make sure it's working OK, cables connect OK, etc, before junking the old stuff. If it's not OK, send it back for a refund (I wish I had, now, but that would leave me Internetless).