PDA

View Full Version : Problems saving downloaded email attachments

Le Pen
25th Aug 2006, 10:46
Hi Guys,

Running XP home on my laptop.

A friend has sent me .pdf and .doc files as attachments and when I try to download them it seems to go through the normal process of asking if I want to open, save or cancel the items. If I choose open it seems to start normally but leaves me with an empty ie page. Then if I try to save it, it runs through the narmal process, you can see the green progress bar, then, even though the "close after download" box isnt checked it closes and the file isnt on my computer.

Hope this makes sense

LP

Le Pen
25th Aug 2006, 10:48
Forgot to add that any file I try to save to my lappy behaves the same way.

Devlin Carnet
25th Aug 2006, 12:29
Le Pen,
In Outlook there is an option under tools-security which says,
"do not allow attachments to be down loaded or opened which may be a virus"
Try unchecking this box.
its worth a try.

BOAC
25th Aug 2006, 14:14
Sometimes these downloads can be slow. Check and see if you have a small image of a disk drive bottom left with an arrow going into it? (Assuming you are using IE, of course?). While this is showing the file is downloading. There may be speed problems at the server slowing the download and you may be trying to save it before it is done? If so, make a cup of tea.:)

frostbite
25th Aug 2006, 14:37
Might be worth doing a search using Explorer just to make sure they're not going in an unexpected folder.

Jet II
25th Aug 2006, 16:13
I take it you have actually set up your email account to download any attachments?

Le Pen
25th Aug 2006, 23:10
Chaps,

This has just started to happen, nothing has changed on my system (as far as I know). It was working 5 days ago.

Frostbite... Have tried that

Jet II/Devlin Will chech that.

Thanks

LP

Tarq57
27th Aug 2006, 04:20
Sounds a bit like something, maybe a .dll, has become corrupted.
Tried doing a system restore?
Some of the dedicated computer forum sites have good expertise for specific problems, I was even able to download a new dll from onew of them. (Not for this, but a similar problem).

Memetic
28th Aug 2006, 00:46
Le Pen, you don't mention an email package and also say ...but leaves me with an empty ie page.

Are you using web based email?

If so have you tried clearing the cache on your web browser?

If you are not on webmail what email package are you using?

Best regards

Memetic

Le Pen
29th Aug 2006, 07:54
Thanks for all this guys,

Now then!

I have since discovered that I cant save or open ANY downloaded items. Including stuff from Microsoft. This is a bit worrying as I tried to download an update for Windoze Defender with nil luck.

Clear cache regularly and did a system restore too with no change.

Any clues please?

Thanks again

LP

Tarq57
29th Aug 2006, 09:50
This is a total longshot...(translation=I have no idea), do you use any kind of registry clean-up program? If so, try restoring the registry to the last known good backup.
I'm guessing by your last post you have security programs preventing virii etc. Could try something different, like http://www.ewido.net/en/ (30 day free trial) which picks up stuff, including trojans, some of the others don't.
Guess you'd have to download that on another computer and transfer it to yours.
There must be something you can do short of having to reinstall, but that might be the only option. This sounds weird.
What was the nature of the last item succesfully downloaded? Could it, or anything else, have wreaked this sort of havoc?
Do kids have access to the laptop? Very destructive.

Le Pen
29th Aug 2006, 11:49
Thanks Markjoy,

I cant remember the day it actually happened but I have recently used the windoze restore facility. With no luck I might add.

G7SWZ
30th Aug 2006, 22:08
I had a similar problem a couple of weeks ago - I eventually tracked it down to be a problem created by Internet Explorer 7 - at present there is no work around for it.

On going back to Internet Explorer 6 the problem disappeared.

It happens even if you are not getting the pdf files via Internet Explorer so can also affect the files within Firefox as well.

John G7SWZ

Le Pen
31st Aug 2006, 08:25
Thanks for that. But I'm only using ie 6 anyway. :{

Tarq57
31st Aug 2006, 12:01
So no registry "work" or "fixit" programs used recently?

Le Pen
31st Aug 2006, 18:21
Zilch! :ugh: :{ :(

Memetic
4th Sep 2006, 23:53
Are you using web based email to try and get to these attachments? If so try an email programme like Thunderbird.

If you are not on webmail what email package are you using?

If on web mail, are you at work? Corporate nets could block downloads from web mail.

Best regards

Memetic

Le Pen
5th Sep 2006, 12:50
Memetic....

Thanks for the help.

Its not only email attachments that wont save. Its everything. I cant update anything from a download because it just does not save.

BTW

Yesrerday I was playing with it and tried to download something to my desktop. While it was d/loading I was watching my desktop.The icon for the downoded file appeared for about half a second then dissapeared. I did a search for it but it wasnt on my laptop.

Thanks again

LP

Tarq57
5th Sep 2006, 13:00
That's just wierd.
Don't know any approach to solving this, except to get professional help, or try a dedicated geek forum.
Try downloading a file to a CD. If you can. If it works, at least you'll know it's actually transferring.

Saab Dastard
5th Sep 2006, 20:13
Here's a list of possible culprits - the damaged index.dat file looks a likely candidate.

File Download Problems (http://www.colba.net/~hlebo49/downfile.htm)

SD

Memetic
5th Sep 2006, 23:48
I think Mr. Dastard may have it there, index.dat is the file which keeps track of all your temporary files used by Internet Explorer.

Do you have another web browser like Firefox or Opera on a disk e.g. a magazine cover disk? If so switching browsers could be an immediate fix for getting your messages, you could then fix Internet Explorer at your leisure - you will only want it for downloading MS updates once you use Firefox or Opera :-)

If you don't have a disk you can download a browser via ftp from the command line in windows. As far as I know it will not be impacted by any index.dat issues (http://culearn.creighton.edu/utilities/ftp/ftp_win_commandline.htm) as background in case you've not used it.

Good luck.

Tarq57
6th Sep 2006, 11:45
Thing is though, they won't download/save on his email either. Or is this an associated problem affecting both programs?

Le Pen
9th Sep 2006, 05:56
Saab,

Good effort, thanks but no fix. :{ :ugh: := :(

LP

Tarq57
9th Sep 2006, 08:31
OK, I haven't tried this: http://www.help2go.com/Tutorials/Windows/How_To_Repair_XP_and_Avoid_a_Full_Reinstall.html
But it looks somewhat promising. Short of a full reinstall/ calling the geeks it might offer some help. The vendor of this reply shall not be accountable blah blah blah...
Let us know if you try it/it works.

Arkroyal
20th Sep 2006, 17:19
Also had trouble after a recent reload of XP Pro, getting pdfs to run from OE6.

Suddenly one day, it worked.

Still having problem with all emails received showing attachment icon, even though there aren't any attachments.

Le Pen
21st Sep 2006, 05:34
Hi once again.....

So, here I am slowly going mad. Any chance of protection updates becoming a thing of memory.

THEN

I remembered a long ago installed but infrequently used copy of opera somewhere in my lappys hard drive. I dig this little monster out, brush it off and what do you know? It works and downloads too!

RIght , here I am downloading like bugger when, oooops, I forget the opera and download from IE6. And guess what? This WORKS now too!

So, for the moment all is well in the Le Pen household. No more ritual killings of chickens to protect us from viruses.

A HUGE thanks to all who offered help and support. :D

LP

Tarq57
21st Sep 2006, 06:01
So,well done and all that, good result etc etc, but please explain:

What ritual do you use? Can you please explain in detail?

I'd quite like a shortcut to solve windows problems, provided excessive cruelty isn't involved.

Le Pen
22nd Sep 2006, 08:40
Markjoy,

I'd love to explain but I fear that we would be crossing that fine line between reality and that place known as Jet Blast!

However I can let you know that it invoves a large box of Kleenex, some rubber gloves, a roll of duct tape and a sheep! (The chickens arent too pleased about it, but hey, we cant all be Bill Gates!)

LP

Tarq57
22nd Sep 2006, 10:04
Good One. :D :D :D

Memetic
22nd Sep 2006, 16:53
Glad it is fixed. May be IE just needed to know there was viable competition. :)