PDA

View Full Version : What is the specific selection criteria for Weapons Systems Officers?

matt85
24th Aug 2006, 14:23
Hello.

I have recently forwarded an application for a commission to the RAF with the aim of becoming a Weapons Systems Officer. My ultimate aim is to eventually become an airline pilot (I'm currently completing my PPL) after a thorough grounding in all things aviation, which I feel would be best achieved from within the RAF. I would love to become an RAF Pilot, however, I feel that I may be held back by ever so slightly imperfect eyesight, at the minimum.

At my local AFCO I asked the RAF recruitment officer about this and he said whilst it would obviously make it difficult to become a pilot he admitted he did not know about the specific criteria to become a Weapons Systems Officer. I have also read up on this but cannot seem to find the specific answers I require.

Would anybody be able to advise me on the selection criteria for this position and also a typical fallback position if I was deemed unsuitable for this as well. My passion is flying and whilst I appreciate the standards for selection are high I would like to be as close to the flightdeck as possible, if my application was to be successful.

If anybody has any other information which they feel could be useful it would be gratefully received.

Thanks very much,

Matt.

BellEndBob
24th Aug 2006, 14:36
Matt,
I will leave it to others to talk about the specifics of WSOp requirements. A word of advice on more general matters however. It will not help your application if you make it clear that you are actually after a career as an airline pilot and this is just an intermediate step. Entry standards are tough and all training is expensive. The powers that be are looking for individuals who are looking for a full career in the RAF.
You need to look at your motives and ask yourself if the RAF really is for you.
Whatever you decide, good luck.:ok:

matt85
24th Aug 2006, 14:50
Matt,
I will leave it to others to talk about the specifics of WSOp requirements. A word of advice on more general matters however. It will not help your application if you make it clear that you are actually after a career as an airline pilot and this is just an intermediate step. Entry standards are tough and all training is expensive. The powers that be are looking for individuals who are looking for a full career in the RAF.
You need to look at your motives and ask yourself if the RAF really is for you.
Whatever you decide, good luck.:ok:

Hello.

Thanks for the reply.

I think in review you're quite correct in how my career plans may be interpreted, although let me assure you this is far from how it was intended. My aim would be to move into civiilian flying a long time from now, i.e my late 30's (I have just turned 21 now) as many military pilots do, after a (hopefully) long and distinguished RAF career.

However, I'll make sure to take it one step at a time!

Cheers,

Matt.

BellEndBob
24th Aug 2006, 15:06
Matt,

That's fine. I'd keep your long term aspirations post RAF to yourself.

All the best.

matt85
24th Aug 2006, 15:11
Matt,

That's fine. I'd keep your long term aspirations post RAF to yourself.

All the best.

Probably a good idea!

Cheers,

Matt.

airborne_artist
24th Aug 2006, 16:21
Bear in mind that you will be then competing with mid 20s kids who will take any RHS job at very little pay to get in the air, while you (and perhaps Mrs Matt) will have grown accustomed to a Flt Lt/Sqn Ldr's pay. Your RAF experience will open doors, and perhaps get you jobs, but not make you substantially more valuable in £s terms.

NoseGunner
24th Aug 2006, 16:31
Matt

If I were you I wouldnt throw away the pilot option until an RAF doctor tells you that your eyesight is not good enough - some bloke in the AFCO, who admits he isnt sure is not a good basis for not even trying.

On the post 38 stuff that others have talked about, it is definitely best to keep that to yourself and its a bit irrelevant, but your employment at that point depends entirely on the state of the airline market. For example at the moment you can pretty much get an airline job if you turn up to the interview sober (starting on similar pay). A few years ago they were like rocking horse ****!

Good luck, its a great job!

biddedout
24th Aug 2006, 17:34
Matt,

Don't give up on pilot in the RAF but at your age there is plenty time to go into airline flying later. Go for WSOP and if you can't transfer to pilot once in, you will have the money and time to get your civil licences as you go along.

A number of AEOps and Nav's have left the RAF after serving their time and have moved on to the airlines for a very successful second career.

The airlines have become a little less obsessed with age, but they are becoming more keen on taking people who have been cloned at one of the major schools, preferably on an integrated course with lots of MCC ? JOT. No harm in PPL flying, but it might be beter these days to save up and go for most of the the training in one packege when ready, rather than building the hours the traditional way.

My company is very keen on integrated course graduates preferably with a good 20 hrs or so of good quality jet Orientation training in a decent simulator. The old seneca sim at the flying club no longer meets the grade. New starts are often in their late 30's early 40's.

alex_holbrook
25th Aug 2006, 13:57
You also should bear in mind that if you apply as a WSO, then it's unlikely you'll get a career until your late 30's, as they are not offering any permanent commissions for WSOs. So your only option would be to go for a short service commission, and then attempt to get it extended, with no guarantee that you will.
Regards,
Alex

Could be the last?
26th Aug 2006, 10:31
Check the RAF Website and compare the wages for WSO/WSOp on completion of trg??:ok: