PDA

View Full Version : Finger joint soreness

Re-entry
24th Aug 2006, 13:41
Duration 2 months. No swelling or discoloration. 1 joint only. Full movement. But sore. All yours rhov!

Bertie Thruster
25th Aug 2006, 16:10
Same here. I now wear a magnetic bracelet. No pain. Take bracelet off for a few hours and pain returns!

Bracelet was recommended by one of the paramedics in my unit.

Regards, BT

rhovsquared
25th Aug 2006, 17:32
Re-entry just a few more questions :\

by sore I guess you mean the pain is like a 2 or 3.

with (1) being a shot [not a gun:} ] 10=excruciating

how old are you about? 20's 30's 40's etc.?

what's your diet like? caffeine, alchohol?

do you take ANY medications?

and which finger on which hand and which joint the one closest to the wrist {proximal] the middle [medial] the tips [distal] 'cuz I know you're a pilot ;) ?

is the pain worse at different times/with motion? or the same? is it constant pain? what type of pain (dull, sharp, aching)?

does anything relieve the pain?

is the joint area warm?

does the pain quality change?

could just be mild synovitus???, but if you answer those questions that'll help me narrow it down a bit :\

All Greens and Steady :}

rhov :)

Re-entry
25th Aug 2006, 21:20
Very mild soreness. 30's. No meds. Some caffeine. Loads of alcohol. Right hand, no.3,middle. Constant, dull, warm, nothing relieves.

rhovsquared
25th Aug 2006, 23:04
Definitely, sounds like synovitus, warmness is usually caused by histamine release due to trauma [constantly flicking large/heavy spring loaded switches ;) And sometimes an infection.

OsteoArthritis or mild atypical gout are also [relatively remote possibilites]...For now don't use that Finger for switches for a while. place warm/'hot compresses over the joint every 6 hours or so [reasonable intervals]... Yes, you'll look weird using your index and thumb :O

and Try a Mild NSAID, For pilots actually I choose buffered aspirin 300-600mg twice daily, Don't take Tylenol [acetominophen] if you wanna go to the bar :} ... If it doesn't go away in two weeks or so after this. you may need an X-ray, or at worst an arthtrocentesis [joint fluid sampling] to rule out infection.

If ILS 31R is Inop, use ILS 31L :}
rhov :)

Re-entry
26th Aug 2006, 00:56
TY. I will take you flying if I survive!

Oh that's super!
26th Aug 2006, 06:18
Duration 2 months. No swelling or discoloration. 1 joint only. Full movement. But sore. All yours rhov!
Not spending too long typing on an Internet forum, or in fact spending too long scrolling on the mouse, are you?:E

It just happens to be the finger that most people use for scrolling on the mouse, so I thought I'd put this to you.

BelfastChild
26th Aug 2006, 09:32
[quote=Oh that's super!]

It just happens to be the finger that most people use for scrolling on the mousequote]

Really? I use my index finger.....

Oh that's super!
26th Aug 2006, 10:05
BelfastChild - don't you find it troublesome to have to move the index finger from the mouse button to scroll (that is, using the wheel)?

flightychick
26th Aug 2006, 16:22
I use my index finger too :confused: So...who are the deviants???

Oh that's super!
26th Aug 2006, 21:35
Haha, OK, almost everyone I know seems to leave their index fingr on the left mouse button and uses the scroll wheel with the middle finger, so I thought that was the 'norm'!

Re-entry
27th Aug 2006, 17:03
Good thinking super. You may be on to something here. I do indeed scroll with said finger on my laptop. Certainly could be the source of trauma. Also, I am a leftie, so using my right hand is unnatural to me, but forced by the world around me to use it for computers. I am also a snooker player and use my right hand as bridge. Another possible source of trauma (unless I win, then the pain goes away!)

Lucifer
28th Aug 2006, 01:32
List all things you do with that hand in a repetitive manner, and adapt them individually.

Re-entry
1st Sep 2006, 07:39
No snooker for 6 days. No pain. Thanks lucifer.