PDA

View Full Version : Shaiba

bad livin'
24th Aug 2006, 13:05
May well be heading to the above for an extended period in the near future. Not having had the pleasure of the sandpit before, anyone got any gems on living conditions etc? Expecting tentage/AC double or more portacabins realistic? :\ Not being used to going anyplace without a bar or freshly laundered rack within 30m for some time any responses appreciated.

:cool:

Sid South
27th Aug 2006, 09:17
Hmmm. SLB has a mix of (kevlar) tents and cor-i-mecs. However, with the current WIP, I couldn't guess where you'll be. It's starting to cool down a bit now, but it is still chuffin' hot. In tents, don't expect to sleep much past midday unless you are one of the lucky ones who can sleep in anything. Cor-i-mecs are fine when the power remains on. I can't say how reliable the power is over there, but on the whole, it won't be too bad. From my understanding, SLB is rather a cushy joint. If you are going to be there in the wet season, take a pair of wellies, and the closer to crimbo you are, a softee jacket is a must for the evening. PM if you want any more info on general living conditions in the sandpit.

Hope that helps,

SS

Antique Driver
27th Aug 2006, 09:57
Expected living conditions.....

It's not know as Shaibiza for nothing!!!!:ok:

Comp Charlie
27th Aug 2006, 09:59
Depends what job you do. I believe these is still a 'Tent City' in the middle of camp, but certainly most of the camp live in Corremecs (spelling?). If you are going to be part of HQ(UK)NSE then you will be in a compound within a camp and definitely in a box.

SLB has a decent welfare set up - the ECHOS centre is the exact same one that was in Pristina years ago, and believe it or not probably still has the same staff! BFBS broadcast from SLB to theatre and they are always dead handy guys and girls to befriend.

Its been a couple of years since I was there now but we had terrible problems with power, and once it goes off the Corremecs heat up VERY quickly to almost unbearable temperatures - at times like this I found myself wishing for a tent as at least you can open both ends and possibly get a breeze.

I heard a viscious rumour SLB was shutting and everyone moving to Basra...is this not the case?

CC

Antique Driver
27th Aug 2006, 10:03
I heard a viscious rumour SLB was shutting and everyone moving to Basra...is this not the case

Apparantley - if this is the case then everyone can look forward to living at Army Depot BSR - accommodation will depend on cap badge and whether or not you're classed as Permanent Staff etc....

Comp Charlie
27th Aug 2006, 10:08
It makes sense that it is shutting down - tonnes of money was spent on the infrastructure of SLB. :ugh:

CC

Sid South
27th Aug 2006, 17:40
Especially on the perfectly usable runway. What a stroke of genius that was! Only the army...............

SS

bad livin'
27th Aug 2006, 21:43
Guys, many thanks. Interesting news on the power situation, that's something I might be able to do something with if all goes as I suspect.

Green Flash
28th Aug 2006, 08:43
For those who have yet to sample the delights of Italian portacabins http://www.corimec.com

Comp Charlie
28th Aug 2006, 10:06
So I did get the spelling right? Woo-Hoo! :D

CC