PDA

View Full Version : JAA IR(A) in USA: where?

acuba 290
24th Aug 2006, 12:58
Just looking at web pages from UKFT or Ormond, they making only IMC, but does any american school offers full JAA IFR?

JeroenC
24th Aug 2006, 13:46
It is always said that the IR needs to be done in European airspace, hoewever, can't find any reference in LASORS (might be blind, but did passed Class I ;)).

acuba 290
24th Aug 2006, 13:51
congrats! as i understand, it looks like exam (skill test and maybe knowledge test also...) must be done in Europe, but maybe it is possible to make cheaper training in USA for IR? Thats my thinking at the moment...

potkettleblack
24th Aug 2006, 14:01
Its the skill test that needs to be undertaken in the JAA state of issue or in the case of the UK at overseas schools which have approval such as Jerez in Spain. There are a number of UK FTO's that use a US school to undertake the bulk of the training to keep costs down (read increase profits) and then the student comes back to the UK and does about 10 hours or so to finish off prior to taking the test. Invariably these schemes involve doing an FAA IR and then converting it to JAA in the UK.

IO540
24th Aug 2006, 14:13
If you do the FAA PPL and IR in the USA, then come back to the UK you need a minimum of 15hrs flight training only.

You still need to pass the writtens, but the mandatory ground school is "now at the discretion of the school" (that's my recollection of the wording; I can probably find the reference if necessary) which basically means you don't need to attend if you know the stuff.

For some people, e.g. those who fail the JAA audiogram initial limits, it's also worth doing the FAA Class 1 medical, in the USA or anywhere, and doing the FAA CPL too. That then gets you past the JAA Class 1 initial medical and you enter the JAA medical stream at the renewal limits, which due to many old pilots being half deaf are much more lax :) But this route works only with ICAO CPL or ATPL holders.

acuba 290
24th Aug 2006, 14:22
but i think converting to JAA is not so easy, so better make JAA IR

IO540
24th Aug 2006, 17:19
Yes, but I think the point here is that

Going to the USA
Doing an FAA PPL (min 40hrs training IIRC)
Doing an FAA IR (min??, realistic 30 hrs training)
Perhaps doing an FAA CPL
Coming back to the UK
Swatting up for the JAA ATPL writtens
Doing another 15hrs flight training
Doing the JAA IR checkride

is going to cost less than missing out the U.S. element. You also end up with a damn useful license/rating if you want to fly bizjets one day (many of which are N-reg).

This is a risky thing to say openly :) but I think you will end up being a much better pilot too than if you spent your money banging routes between Cranfield and Cambridge ;)