PDA

View Full Version : PC in the garage

MyData
23rd Aug 2006, 21:00
Has anyone installed and had a PC running the garage or shed for any lengthy duration?

I've a spare box with a large HDD. Apart from the intrusive fan noise etc. it is just taking up space. I could install it in the garage, and use a wireless link to connect to it. I would only be using it as a remote station for regularly backing up valuable data.

The garage is in very good condition but I'm concerned about the dampness in the outdoor air that may cause a problem over time.

Conan the Librarian
24th Aug 2006, 00:08
Should be no problem at all. If you keep it running, the heat from within, will keep it all free from damp. You could always of course, just replace the noisy fan though...

Conan

seacue
24th Aug 2006, 02:58
Two kinds of fan noise ...
bearing noise = death knell
wind noise = normal but not nice

MyData
24th Aug 2006, 05:36
It's just regular fan noise. But would be nice to not have in the room. I'll give it a go and report back in the spring :eek:

ormus55
24th Aug 2006, 09:13
or try a zalman fan, it has a pot for changing the speed and therefore the noise level.
you control the setting by reference to the temp of the cpu.

of course you could also go the whole hog and fit water cooling!

TheSailor
24th Aug 2006, 10:52
Hello,

the whole hog and fit water cooling!

:)

I prefer the words " fluid cooling"...as it's certainly not plain water who flow in the refrigerating system.
BTW..I readed times ago..at the begining of the use of this system..a good joke...but true..:rolleyes:
A "moron"...had "siliconed watertight" completely is PC case and filled it with water.....:ugh:
He was astonished of the result when he put the power on.:uhoh: ...and requested a money back from the poster in a forum who suggested the "water cooling" solution.......:}

Regards.

ormus55
24th Aug 2006, 12:50
http://www.markusleonhardt.de/en/oelbilder.html

fill it full of ex chip pan oil then.

Mac the Knife
24th Aug 2006, 16:44
If you just want to use the garage PC as a file server then consider finding someone to help you set it up under Linux.

As a Linux SAMBA file server it'll be far more quick & secure than any Windows box.

You can stop the pretty-candy GUI, remove the monitor and keyboard and control it over the network. You can even underclock it and reduce or eliminate the fans.

Your Windows box will never know the difference.

Hey-ho....

:ok: