PDA

View Full Version : PC going to sleep!

NG708
23rd Aug 2006, 19:40
:} Help - Can anyone offer some advice?
I made the great mistake of shutting my PC down so that I could re-route and tidy all the cables and wires on my desk. Now, of ocurse, it's playing up.
Honestly all I did was unplug and plug in the same connectors, but just a bit tidier.
Whats happening is that the monitor comes up with the message 'no signal' so presumably the PC is stopping sending a signal and shutting down. This happens randomly either a few minutes after startup or when you've been using it for a while. Can't restart without switching off then on again.
Does anyone have any ideas here???:}

Conan the Librarian
23rd Aug 2006, 19:42
Just recheck the connections, particularly the monitor lead nd all will miraculously start working again, unless I am seriously wrong.

Conan

ormus55
23rd Aug 2006, 20:06
almost certainly the signal cable twixt puter and the screen.
refit it and tighten the screws properly, should be fine then.

could possibly be the graphics card has come adrift whilst you were playing with the cables.

chandlers dad
23rd Aug 2006, 23:10
Could be a loose graphics card or take a look at the cable and socket it plugs into. Have seen a pin bend and knock out the signal.

Choxolate
24th Aug 2006, 08:56
message 'no signal'
This message is produced by the monitor because it is not receiving a signal from the PC (the PC is probably working perfectly OK) - the monitor "thinks" it is not plugged into the PC as no signal is coming up the logic cable - you should get the same message if you turn the monitor on whilst it is not plugged into the PC, this is therefore almost certainly a cable issue.

1. Remove the cable from PC to Monitor - check the sockets and plugs for bent pins, or gunge in the socket holes. Check cable has not got any cuts, holes or breaks

2. Plug back in CARFEULLY ensuring you do not bend any pins and screw in firmly (finger tight)

3. Try it now - if same problem (from now on it depends on your confidence & experience of fiddling inside the PC case) before opening PC Case UNPLUG the PC from the mains and (if possible) wear an earthing strap (to reduce risk of static damage to any components)

4.Take side panel off PC - does the monitor cable plug directly into the mother board (i.e. uses an "on-board" video chip) if so then got to last step.

5. If the cable plugs into a "card" (circuit board mounted in a slot on the mother board). Then gently but fimrly check the card to make sure it has not become unseated. If necessary carefully remove the card (may need to unscrew from back plate), clean the contacts with a soft cloth and carefullty reseat.

6. Replace side panel, reconnect and power up. If problem persists go to last step.

7. You need professional assistance if you are not happy about going any further. This is the time to try installing another video card to further isolate the problem.

NG708
1st Sep 2006, 10:14
Thanks for all the advice .

This worked a treat. What probably made the difference was vacuuming all the dust out from inside the PC.

No more problems now.!:)