PDA

View Full Version : Irish Wannabe...

GezHeli
22nd Aug 2006, 22:00
I done a fixed wing flight two weeks ago.. and it was good. But I done a helicopter flight last week for the first time and it was incredible. loved it!!
So much so am thinking of making a career out of it..
But at 28 I'd have to borrow a bit to follow it up.. could be looking at ppl in NZ (heliflight.co.nz) followed by CPL in States (combined JAA/FAA cpl(H) Heli.com)
Are there any Irish HeliPilots out there that can tell me what route they took to get qualified and how the industry is on this island of ours?!?

cheers boss..
Gez

HELOFAN
22nd Aug 2006, 23:21
Not sue about Irish but there are plenty of UK folk.

Use the SEARCH function on training , JAA/FAA and so on.

DAys of research right there and I bet there within lies the answers ye seek !

HF

Vertolot
23rd Aug 2006, 06:12
GezHeli,

I was working as an instructor in Ireland resently for a couple of years. It's seems that the Irish helicopter industry is expanding (booming) very rapidly at the moment (might be a good time to go for your training).

In general there is two way to go;
1) Do your training in Europe
2) Train in the USA and then convert to JAA licence

It's pretty much up to you which way suits you best. Take contact with some of the well known flight schools and sort out what kind of deal you will get. If your goal is to work in Europe then doing all your training in Europe should be a good and very strait forward option (if you can finance it...;) ). On the other hand if you are interested to see whats going on in the "big" world and maybe looking for some kind of adventures as well, the USA route might suit you.

Whathever route you are taking it's going to take some years and plenty of work to get to your goal, so be prepared to work hard.

I was working for Blue Star Helicopters in Cork, contact them and I'm sure they will help you. Also ask to get some of the students telephone numbers who are going for CPL and ask them what the situation is at the moment.

...and, don't give up your dreams!

Heliport
23rd Aug 2006, 07:40
Gez

If anyone has got any information about Ireland they can post it on this thread.

Click this link for lots of information about becoming a helicopter pilot >> Training Questions (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=122944)

And here for Training in Ireland (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=236044)

tu154
23rd Aug 2006, 12:27
There are several schools training to PPL level in Ireland. In Weston you have Eirecopter, EHA, Premier to name a few, In Cork (and possibly Waterford) Bluestar, Executive in Galway. There is only one school training to CPL level in Ireland and that's EHA. A search should throw up the websites for most of these. As usual with flying schools, calling them will be more productive than email.

Personally I woudn't fanny about with non JAA courses as it can be tricky to convert. FAA plus JAA is the way a lot of people go. Also do a thorough costing of the course, including flights, living expenses, budget for contingencies, weather delays, failing the odd exam.
I did PPL in Ireland, ATPL writtens and CPL in the UK.

As for jobs, well that's another matter. Most operators would require you have some time flying in the airspace and weather you are expected to operate in. Instructing is the way most people have started out. There are a few instructing jobs that crop up. Other than that, it's the same as everywhere, people need high time turbine pilots. There is also some flying for owners going on, but that can be patchy. Busy as hell during the racing season, hit and miss otherwise. Mostly R44s.

When making your decision, take nothing for granted and confirm with the IAA that they will accept your chosen route, especially if you choose to mix the country in which you do various courses and exams.

Chickenhawk1
23rd Aug 2006, 13:21
...help,
Hey Gez, I'm Irish, I'm 28, I did my PPL(H) in Heliflight NZ, and I'm now working on my IR/CPL(H)/CFI/CFII in Florida. Be happy to answer any qs you have, send me a mail or PM me with your questions.
L8r

noblades
24th Aug 2006, 18:30
Gez,
Here is some of my experiences.
you have multiple options,how you choose is will depend on what your ultimate goal is. Lots of guarded research is the key. Mistakes can be very costly. Beware the crewing of private aircraft flying in grey area of what is legal if your intention is to end up in an AOC with a reputable operator. Reputation is a lot little virginity,you will only lose it once!! Watch for courses that have "based on minimums" in very small print hidden in brochure. Training in the country where you intend working has many advantages..I could go on and on.....Do check with the governing licensing authority and listen to what they are not saying rather than what they are saying about schools..

PM me if you want more info but one is afraid of starting torrent of partisan comments on which school is good or bad. Regardless,,I wish you success in your chosen adventure

NB:D

dwoodcoc
25th Aug 2006, 16:22
Dont waste your money training in Ireland. You can train in the UK for about 30% less than in Ireland. But look at the US, if money and time is an issue.

I started my training in the UK about a year ago. Did the PPL while working, and then when my work contract ended at the start of the year I started studying for the JAA ATPL ground school exams. Have my last 7 exams in 2 weeks. Then I'm off to the US to finish the training.

The J1 visa allows you 2 years, in which you can complete your course and work as an instructor for the remaining time. There are 2 schools over there that I know of that sponsor students for the J1 visa - Hillsboro(in Oregon) and HAI. You could go the straight FAA route, which you'll do much quicker than the combined FAA/JAA course(only available at HAI) and then as you're working you could do the study for the JAA ground school in your spare time. If you work hard you could have the exams done in 9-12 months (part time studying). You could then sit the exams and do the skills test before leaving the US. Returning home with a good few hours and your FAA and JAA licences.

I went to a seminar for Heliflight in NZ at the start of the year and they seem like a decent outfit. And you could find worse places to train!

Heliokelly
12th Jun 2007, 20:59
Hey all

I am also an a hopefull of doing the ppl in the near future. I have looked into the Bristow Academy and I am looking at travelling over in the start of August!! What exams will I have to do when i return to Ireland?? I hope to attend the JAA course over there!!!

Now I'm as green as you can get to the whole thing but very determined to make this work what advice can you all give me from an Irish and all other nationalites point of view???

1 thing I will say Bristow seem to have a very professional approach to training and international students needs and I have found them very helpfull so far!!!!