PDA

View Full Version : What a Day!

DenhamPPL
22nd Aug 2006, 19:29
Just thought I'd share my day with the forum as it was kind of special and quite knackering too!

Sat Air Law with a fellow student at my flying school. Both of us passed!
Air Law has been bugging me for MONTHS and I finally got it.

Then my instructor dragged me out to "do some circuits" and after four good ones he got out and sent me off on my own to do my first solo!

All went swimmingly until someone rejoining decided to try and cut in on base leg:ugh: luckily ATC noticed and reminded him about circuit traffic having priority (I was getting slightly stressed at this point with BOTH of us turning final!)

Anyway had a smooth uneventful landing (came in rather high as the other aircraft had broken my concentration..) and managed to park the 152 bang on the correct parking spot (I still find steering with my feet a bit odd. DOesn't help having Size 14's..)

Anyway had to share the experience - still smiling 4 hours later:)

Cheers everyone and thanks to all the PPRUNErs who's advice I have been soaking up as I work my way through the PPL syllabus. Excellent website.

Andy

Squawk 2650
22nd Aug 2006, 19:33
Well done mate!! First solo is a day you will never forget!!

S
:cool:

davidatter708
22nd Aug 2006, 20:25
well done its a great feeling

ormus55
22nd Aug 2006, 20:32
many congratulations.

i look forward to the day when i can post the same thing.
well done mate.

matt_hooks
22nd Aug 2006, 20:35
Reminds me of my first powered solo at Southend.

Just on downwind about to turn in on crosswind when ATC comes on and asks me to orbit until further notice due to a heavy on emergency with suspected landing gear failure.

This worries me a bit, cos my alternate was Stanstead!

Fortunately he managed to land without anything major giving way and clear the runway. Damn good job too, I was getting dizzy after 30 minutes of orbits! :bored:

I'm the only person I know of with a 40 minute first solo! lol

DenhamPPL
22nd Aug 2006, 20:43
Thanks for the replies:)

matt_hooks - and I thought I had it difficult with the guy cutting me up:eek:

That is part of the reason I like doing my PPL at Denham - the runway is too short for the big boys to even consider landing there - emergency or not!

Cheers

Andy

DC-8
22nd Aug 2006, 21:35
I'm the only person I know of with a 40 minute first solo! lol

You beat me by ten mins! :ok: I'll never forget that day. One of the most exciting experiences for a pilot.

Congratulations DenhamPPL! :D

microlight AV8R
22nd Aug 2006, 21:45
Bravo Sir ! :D Chuffed forya

Aunt Rimmer
22nd Aug 2006, 22:02
Well Done !! Welcome to the marvellous marvellous world of flying ..... without an instructor :E

Reminds me of the time (on my GFT) when a tractor drove across the runway when I was doing a touch and go !! Luckily I spotted it and aborted ... but too chuffed (after passing) to file an MOR ...