PDA

View Full Version : UK CPL/ATPL Ground Exams by D/L- Mandatory Goundschool

Nasty JAR
22nd Aug 2006, 17:12
I am shortly going to select a groundschool distance learning provider and am actually quite looking forward to getting stuck into the course. However, due to family commitments, the classroom part of the course (usually 2 weeks for CPL, 3 weeks for ATPL) is going to be a bit painful.

Accordingly, I will be selecting a school within daily driving distance of North London.

My question is, while I understand that the schools must include a minimum period of classroom teaching in an approved course, do they have any discretion as to when this is done (e.g. some weekends)? If they do have such discretion, does anyone know of a school which might be inclined (for a suitable payment for odd hours tuition) to offer this sort of flexibility?

Thanks to all in advance.

potkettleblack
22nd Aug 2006, 19:32
Will be a difficult one to get around as most schools are geared up to do the brush ups with the max number of bums on seats to minimise costs etc. Having said that you could give these guys a call in Bournemouth as I know that they take on guys on a 1:1 basis. They are unlikely to do weekends though and I haven't heard of any schools that do.

http://www.gtserv.co.uk/index.shtml

PS: My experience of the brush up courses is 2 weeks (ATPL) and not 3 as you stated.

dboydan
23rd Aug 2006, 20:23
Potkettleblack,
Hi you seem to be a bit in the know! Can you advise me at all on whose distance learning package I should go for? Im torn between Oxford and Bristol. Oxford, well their Oxford, enough said, but they dont have a full computer based training software package, which is what really interests me because I think it would be a very helpfull aid as I am going to be learning by myself. Bristol on the other hand do have a the full software package, but I don't know enough about them. Can you, or indeed anyone reading this thread shine any light on the subject? I am also dying to get started, its just this little cross roads that is stopping it from happening.
Cheers... Dan

potkettleblack
23rd Aug 2006, 20:41
Dan stick with me and you will go far:)

From what I have seen of the Bristol & Oxford notes and the small school I went to in Bournemouth then Bristol beats them hands down in terms of colour, CBT and of course the online database (optional extra). From what I have learnt from talking to various people at Gatwick and at various flying schools the Bristol feedback is top notch and up to date which is what has got me through so far along with a lot of hard yacker.

middenview
24th Aug 2006, 18:48
From North London, I would have thought CATS (Cranfield Aviation Training School) was nearest. Did the IR groundschool with them, and found it fine.

jerezflyer
26th Aug 2006, 22:49
Classroom phase brush up courses - For the CPL groundschool it is usually 1 week per module (at least where I am doing it at GTS) and for the ATPL it is usually 2 weeks per module....