PDA

View Full Version : Drive not recognised

Tosh McCaber
22nd Aug 2006, 15:25
I have a removable 250 gb hard drive, which I use as a back-up to my main drive. Went on holiday last week, took the drive out of the computer, left it out of the house, just in case.
Got back last night, put it back in its slot in the computer, drive lights up, computer sees the drive as Removeable Drive "F", (as before), in Windows Explorer. But when I double click to operate the drive, I get a message, "Please insert a disk in Drive F" . I've checked and double checked- it seems to be installed OK.
Can anyone throw any light on the problem??

jetcollie
22nd Aug 2006, 16:00
Sometimes there's no obvious reason why!! With the drive in the computer you could try going into Device Manager, right click on the appropriate drive and select uninstall. Then reboot and let the system find and re-install it again.

Tosh McCaber
22nd Aug 2006, 16:31
Unfortunately, the back-up drive does not show up on the Device Manager!

ormus55
22nd Aug 2006, 16:40
i assume its a usb device, and i think its a usb problem. check your bios settings.
or unistall every usb item, and reboot the machine, let it find everything again.

frostbite
22nd Aug 2006, 17:00
Worth trying another USB socket, just in case it's that simple.

effortless
22nd Aug 2006, 17:02
Where was the drive kept? Could it have become corrupted?

PS try booting with the drive connected.

Tosh McCaber
22nd Aug 2006, 19:51
Sorry, I should have made things a little more clear- the drive is fixed into a slot in the PC, with a connector at the rear which links into the main IDE cabling.

There's a little rotary key, which allows the drive in its cartridge to be locked in or pulled out for safekeeping.

BOAC
22nd Aug 2006, 20:44
Tosh - have you right clicked on the drive and checked the drive 'properties'? There may be a clue there.

ormus55
22nd Aug 2006, 22:44
you have a drive caddy fitted, same as me. (got 2 of em)
check the connections at the back of the unit, they often go awol.

we had lots of them at college, they used to give us no end of problems.

try the hdd in another PC or connect it direct. thatll prove that the drive is prob ok.

http://ormus55.fotopic.net/p33154966.html