PDA

View Full Version : Ground School

cessna l plate
22nd Aug 2006, 08:36
Just a question more than anything.
I am best part the way through the ppl, flying wise. But I am really toiling to get the time at home to sit with a book.

You know the sort of thing, "Daddy, can we just", "Daddy, can I have..." "Can you do this, that, or the other jobs around the house love". These noises disturb my concentration no end. I have even been known in the past to drive a 90 mile round trip to the flying club just to have a quiet room to sit in!

As I am incredibly busy at work as well, I just can't find the time to sit down and study. I can make time for a course though. But as with all ppl students, cost is the issue.

So, does anyone know of a decent ground school instructor/examiner in the north west of this fair isle! I once heard that Ian Sixsmith was offering this sort of thing, and I have a lot of respect for Mr Sixsmith from years ago.

So, does anyone know if he does do this, and can I have some contact details please, or else can you all recommend a good instructor?

Cheers

tangovictor
22nd Aug 2006, 10:34
there is somone ( Derek Davidson ) I think ? who advertises, in the aviation mags, although, I believe he's location is south coast
another alternative is the CD learning packages that Oxford Aviation supply
I purchased " Practical Flying Training " and "Airlaw" at Kemble, and I must admit, the explanations coupled with visual display, makes it a lot easier to understand, They are expensive, so I would suggest, buy just one, and see if it suits you !
good luck
TV

Mr Man
22nd Aug 2006, 13:39
I don't know how north west you are,but if you can make it to Gamston airfield (on A1 near Worksop),I strongly recommend Linda True of Trueairspeed training.If you do a search on here,I think more details are available.Linda does one subject per day,with the exam at the end,and she's very good and patient.
Good Luck!

coodem
23rd Aug 2006, 02:01
I was in the same situation as you and I don't even have kids.
This guy helped me out, I managed to do all the theory and pass the exams in 5 days, but it was tough, but very possible.

He helps by explaining all those things we spend hours trying to figure out in minutes

lynairuk.co.uk
Found his rates very reasonable and its all 1 on 1

A330 Dreamer
23rd Aug 2006, 02:28
Well - if you want your PPL your going to have to make time for the theory!!!!

Obviously looking at a pile of books knocks your confidence a little, but what I did was take the 1st book off the pile (in my case air law) and read it with a highlighter during my lunch breaks etc taking the "important points". When I got home, I would then take my highlighted notes and write them into a notepad then that way they stick in your mind.

Trevor Thom's Air Law book if i remember correctly is split into 2 sections.

I looked at the contents page and said I'll do this in 2 weeks = 1 section per week then on the 3rd week do the revision and sit the exam.

This worked great in my view.
I did Air Law, Human Factors and Communications all 1st to knock off the smaller exams (content wise) Then I did Met, Technical and Flight Planning. I left Navigation to the end because its the last part of the flying syllabus so learning the theory hand in hand with the actual flying made navigation easier to learn. All the other 6 exams were passed just as I was about to do my 1st nav trip so the nav book could be read/learned in a couple of weeks in time to sit the GFT.

All the best - I am sure you'll find a way that works for you

S-Works
23rd Aug 2006, 07:43
They actually only look difficult, the exams are easy and common sense. I read mine over one or 2 evenings per subject and then took the exams.

Now if you want time consuming look at the exams for IR they took me 18 months.

Go and sit in the garage or better still lock the children up in cages.....

theresalwaysone
24th Aug 2006, 09:43
Try Captain Jon

http://www.madeinbirmingham.org/kiss.htm

maggioneato
25th Aug 2006, 07:01
I was speaking to someone a few weeks ago who said Ian Sixsmith was still doing groundschool tution at Hawarden. Try ringing Chester Flying school, they should know.

rustyflyer
19th Sep 2006, 21:20
Hi Cessna l plate! Are you still looking for groundschool help? Ian Sixsmith is still very much around at Chester F S. He does the RT practical & I think he may do one to one tuition too. Very nice guy, shame his flying was curtailed......
Let me know if you want help with contact info.
Im new to posting here so hello to all from a newly fledged PPL, courtesy of Chester Flying School & with no thanks to the wonderful English weather :ugh: