PDA

View Full Version : Microlon engine treatment

A and C
22nd Aug 2006, 07:43
Have any of you used Microlon engine treatment and if so what was the result ?

The people selling this in the UK quote some impressive results but I would like to know if these results are being achieved in "the field".

White Bear
22nd Aug 2006, 23:31
A and C,
Try a search, there was some chat a few weeks ago on this subject.
A word of caution, IMHO, there are no mechanics in bottles.
Regards,
W.B.

ormus55
22nd Aug 2006, 23:52
looks similar to stp and molyslip treatment from yrs ago.
some peeps swear by them. my father used molyslip in his car.
but ive yet to see anyone give a really long term subjective view on these products.
esp in the field. bench testing aint quite the same thing as real life.

i tend to think of them, in the same way as i do snake oil.

23rd Aug 2006, 00:16
I have read a lot of stats on Microlon, and yes they are very impressive, and the product was/is not all that cheap. One of the readings on the product, quoted, (may be an urban myth) an owner of a C-182 who wanted to test the product on his near T/X motor. He produced a dump sump to exit all his engine oil, this is after doing all the required runups and instalation of the product, dumped the oil in flight, and continued a circuit flight for 20mins. No ill effects or measurable wear on the motor. Myth or not?
Personaly I use 750ml of wyns anti friction to a sump of oil, and and 50ml of upper cylinder lube to a tank of fuel in my J1Auster (Cirrus Minor 2 motor). Smoother running, and I am of the opinion that todays fuel is too 'dry' for the older type of engines.

A and C
23rd Aug 2006, 17:06
I would normaly be inclined to agree with you but the product is being sold in the UK by some people whos opinion I respect, what I whant to know is if any of the regular names on this forum have used Microlon and if so what are the results.

White Bear
23rd Aug 2006, 19:43
Try a search on “spernkey”, to bring up the thread of a few weeks ago, or PM him directly, he might supply with the information you’re looking for.
Regards,
W.B.

Say again s l o w l y
23rd Aug 2006, 21:21
One of our 152's is going to try this stuff. I have no idea about it, but the engineer has heard good stuff about it from people he trusts.

I doubt it can hurt, but I'm equally prepared for it to be snake oil though.

It won't go in until the next check in probably a couple of weeks, but I'll report anything we notice.

LowNSlow
29th Aug 2006, 07:44
There are a few items on the web about these additives and I generally concur with the "snake oil" theory. There ain't no substitute for good clean oil.

1946, slightly off topic but adding a bit of 2-stroke oil to the fuel is another method of improving your upper cylinder lubrication. This cunning tip was passed on to me by an Auster owner of long standing who has recently emigrated to Gippsland. He swears that it has eliminated any sticky valves on the succession of Gipsy and Cirrus powered AUsters he has owned over the years.

tangovictor
29th Aug 2006, 16:32
if, a BiG IF, there were some magic ingredient, available, don't you think that Shell or BP, who make god knows how many Millions a day profit, add it to there range of products ?

Shaft109
29th Aug 2006, 18:26
Without knowing too much about this product I can't make a definitive judgement but as has been said before if it's so good, why isn't it recommended by the manufacturers or endorsed by the oil companies esp if they can claim superior lubrication and quality over their rivals?

And as for 'it can't do harm' then look here

http://www.max-boost.co.uk/max-boost/lubrication.htm

and then browse the snake oil links.

Have to agree with tangovictor and lowNslow

29th Aug 2006, 22:55
Low and Slow, I certainly agree with you on the two stroke oil as a replacement for uppercylinder lube. In fact I think it is a better alternative as the two stroke is designed to MIX with the oil and not sit in suspension as some upercylinder lubes do, then if there is a reasonable period of inactivity of the motor, the uppercylinder lube floats to the bottom of the fuel tank. The other benifite is that twostroke oil is some times easier and cheaper to obtain than the uper cylinder lube. Mixing rate is 1ml per ltr.