PDA

View Full Version : CRT to LCD Power Usage

Ejector
22nd Aug 2006, 07:25
Hello folks,

I am looking at buying a UPS for my computer. I run 2 CRT screens, a flat screen 21’ Sony Trinitron and a 19’ flat screen CRT. Apart form using all the desk space, it seems I can use a UPS almost half the size if I were to replace them with 19’LCD’s. This sounds a bit far fetched, can anyone comment on this? Is the guy at the shop just trying to sell LCD’s !!!! How do I tell how much juice they are sucking?

Ejector:O

Jet II
22nd Aug 2006, 07:34
The power required to run an LCD is about one-third to one-half of that required for a CRT with the same screen area.

Also remember that CRT pump out a fair bit of heat compared to LCD so if your paying for the air-con, thats also a saving.

Ejector
22nd Aug 2006, 08:38
How do you tell how much power they suck up?

The salesman was also suggesting that each CRT monitor chews approx twice what the actual box uses. Does this sound right as well. Sure, I have alot more to look into, but have to start somewhere !!!

ejector

Jet II
22nd Aug 2006, 09:40
How do you tell how much power they suck up?

usually the power consumption will be in the specifications for the individual monitor - it should show you power usage in Watts for normal use and standby.

If your interested I have a small excel file that calculates power comsumption/cost for monitors - you just have to enter the power consumption figures for each monitor and it will give you a comparison of how much each will cost to run.

If you want a copy PM me with your email address.

airborne_artist
22nd Aug 2006, 09:59
A quick check on my old CRT and new LCD screens shows a 60% saving in power - 100W against 40W.

chandlers dad
23rd Aug 2006, 23:13
You should also notice a drastic decrease in the temp in the office when switching to flat panel screens. I have three of them on my main computer and they put out less heat than just one of the old CRT type screen, and use about the same power.