PDA

View Full Version : pay-for-membership Job websites

DC6driver
22nd Aug 2006, 00:26
Goodday

A few of us seasonal waterbomber guys are looking at purchasing memberships at a job website.

can anyone advise which would be the best/most informative least scammy ones? Our emphasis is overseas gigs, anything interesting

thanks in advance

DC6

scroggs
22nd Aug 2006, 09:19
Firstly, Pprune will not allow the promotion of subscription job-seekers websites on our forums. In fact, strictly speaking, we're not supposed to allow any links at all. I tend to apply a flexible interpretation of that rule, but not in this case.

Secondly, do you qualify as Wannabes for the purposes of this forum? If you are already in professional flying appointments then, no, you don't. 'Terms and Endearments' is the forum you should be in.

Scroggs

SmilingKnifed
22nd Aug 2006, 10:40
Fair points both Scroggs. As for the question itself, do you have a view on these sights in general. Are they worth it or are they a waste of time?

On speed on profile
22nd Aug 2006, 14:02
Scroggs, while you may be correct about their job status and not being wanabee's, the question is of direct importance to wanabees thinking about signing up to one of those companies. Its not as if they are asking, for example, about where they can get an A320 command etc. There are plenty of employed instructors out there who use this part of PPrune all the time no one seems to bother them! IMHO, I think their question falls under the remit of the "interviews, jobs and sponsorship" forum.

I would have thought wanabees would have been the biggest users of that type of service and therefore probably had the most information for these guys because as you know, we either are or have been trying every avenue to get that first employment at one point in our careers. While your point is valid, this question equally deserves its place here as I am sure not all wanabees go looking in the T & E forum for their answers!

SmilingKnifed, I wouldnt trust them with my money. They can claim all they want but its like everything to do with aviation employment and training. It is one big risk!!

raceeend
22nd Aug 2006, 15:18
On speed on profile
I am sure SmilingKnifed knows how to approach these site's, since I Know where he did his ATPL groundschool:)
And that's also the place where they teach SCAMMING on a university level alongside the flyingtraining:)
Greetings
Raceend

scroggs
22nd Aug 2006, 16:59
Fair points both Scroggs. As for the question itself, do you have a view on these sights in general. Are they worth it or are they a waste of time?

I have yet to discover one that has any information that's not already in the public domain. Airlines do not give exclusive deals to privately-run websites to advertise their jobs; these sites exist primarily to give their bedroom-based owners a bit of pocket money. Pprune has far more information and it's free.

here are plenty of employed instructors out there who use this part of PPrune all the time no one seems to bother them! IMHO, I think their question falls under the remit of the "interviews, jobs and sponsorship" forum.

There are a few sites that are regularly referenced here because they are a) free and b) trustworthy. Some individuals in the flying training business get a loose lead because they give good, worthwhile advice without advertising their businesses. Without them, you would have to rely entirely on rumours and 'advice' provided by people who know no more than you do, which isn't really worth a great deal.

Of course, I could ban them all and you could all talk to the electronic version of a mirror...

Scroggs

DC6driver
23rd Aug 2006, 06:23
so to a fresh friendly face to this forum could you advise which are these free trustworthy sites?

MrMutra
23rd Aug 2006, 09:16
I guess "you pay's ya money, ya takes ya choice"

Must admit it puts me off having to pay membership fee's so havent joined any of them.

But good look and hope you get what you seek.

MrM;)