PDA

View Full Version : RNZAF Q300s

mattyj
21st Aug 2006, 22:14
Heard this one on the news the other day (with an item about the new NH-90 white elephants:} ) Govt looking at 2 or 4 Dash8s for the Airforce.

Apparently for a coastal patrol/customs squadron.
Couldn't find anything on the airforce website. Anybody heard more?

flap35
21st Aug 2006, 23:33
:ugh: :D
What a very cost effective way to patrol the waters, get the 'Chaps' to do it.

Only the most inefficient, inflexable, impractical flying organisation in the country.

Be much better to get Vincents to do it.

Good one Helen.

Skystar320
22nd Aug 2006, 01:35
Yep they have order 6 x Q300 white aframes and 6 x Q400's white airframe esentiall to replace the Carbiou

Believe it when they see it

SawThe Light
22nd Aug 2006, 02:42
mattyj

What's the gen on "new NH-90 white elephants"? Do they have some operational problems that we haven't heard about? Or do you perhaps think that there's not going to be enough work for them?

Just interested in the "white elephant" bit as I didn't think there were too many in service yet.

STL

mattyj
22nd Aug 2006, 05:03
because they're huge and expensive (like the Lavs) They won't do the job any better than the Hueys which are perfect for the job they do. A better replacement would've been some of those new build Bell 412s surely??

Did you hear Phill Goff saying that 8 NH-90s will form the cornerstone of our defense force for the next 20 years
Ho ho ho ho:} :}

aerocom
22nd Aug 2006, 11:19
Hey skystar320
When did they kiwis get Carbiou aircraft. Did Australia have a surplus sale.

Point0Five
22nd Aug 2006, 12:26
Did you hear Phill Goff saying that 8 NH-90s will form the cornerstone of our defense force for the next 20 years

When did the Kiwis adopt the American spelling of Defence?

noooby
22nd Aug 2006, 21:11
mattyj, ever worked on 412's?? probably not if you think they are a good military machine. the 205's are ok for the moment, but the army requirement is for a rifle company to be airlifted in one hit. that was the requirement years ago when i worked on them, and it would take about 18 serviceable 205's to do it, on a cool day, at low altitude, and for short range only. having worked on 412's for a few years, they are worse than 205's in many respects. they are heavier, and the 'improvements' the 412 has over the 205 have lowered their reliability.
at least the nh-90 has some growth potential, the 205 is at the end of its growth. they are underpowered for hot and high ops, and they run out of left pedal when heavy and hot and high (waiberia in summer for example). i had a crawl over an nh-90 at the production line in italy, and was quite impressed. also saw the naval version flying, and spoke to a couple of mechanics working in the experimental department. there are teething problems, as with all new type helicopters, but with a bit of perserverance i think it will be worth the wait. and no, i am not in the military. i got out 8 years ago. i just managed to sneak into the 'wrong' building when i was left unattended at the Agusta factory :E i don't know what differences there are between land based and naval, and i don't know if there are differences between italian asembled and french assembled.
what's the difference between a new build 412, and a 1965 UH-1H/205???
The number of blades and engines!!! one good thing about the 412. helicopter mechs like myself will NEVER be out of work while people keep buying them thinking they are reliable. Hahahahaha :E

SawThe Light
22nd Aug 2006, 21:29
mattyj

Can we conclude that the notion of "white elephants" causes the Kiwi A/F to still use B47's?

Skystar320
23rd Aug 2006, 01:26
Hey skystar320
When did they kiwis get Carbiou aircraft. Did Australia have a surplus sale.

Ahhh RNAF mistook for RAAF sorry :\ :\ :\ :\

mattyj
23rd Aug 2006, 01:41
heh heh..I conceed to nooby..he seems to know what hes talking about..The price is what I am worried about..no worries, put up my taxes:yuk: :yuk: :yuk:

Ex Douglas Driver
23rd Aug 2006, 23:04
Ahhh RNAF mistook for RAAF sorry :\ :\ :\ :\

RNAF??? Royal Norwegian Air Force??

Keep trying young fellah, or perhaps post about something you know about!

kmagyoyo
26th Aug 2006, 07:17
..no worries, put up my taxes:yuk: :yuk: :yuk:

Well after a record surplus and no tax cuts then probably!

Heaven forbid we ever spend more than one weeks worth of DBP on the annual Defence Force budget :ugh:

Skystar320
28th Aug 2006, 02:52
RNAF??? Royal Norwegian Air Force??
Keep trying young fellah, or perhaps post about something you know about!

How bout STFU??????? yeah we all make mistakes every so often, so if you dont have nothing nice to say STFU :mad: :mad: :mad:

Plas Teek
8th Sep 2006, 03:16
I too can confirm Noooby's comments. Currently there is a bit of bickering at def hq as to the other helicopter...

RNZAF want a small trainer AS350 or similar, Army want something that can lift 4 fully equipped soldiers into a hot spot, gee, I wonder who..

So it goes on and on.

Also heard that with the change of the NZ peso thay cant get as many as they initially wanted. The person that didn't lock something in should've been shot!

bagpipe
9th Sep 2006, 20:34
And by the time they sort something out (5-7) yrs there could be UAV systems off the shelf at far less cost to operate. Me thinks its a cunning plan to get more bums on seats

Strato Q
9th Sep 2006, 21:06
It will be interesting to see who will fly them when they can't even fill the bums on seats on the P3K. Learn from others (Coastwatch and Watchdog) and let the civvies do it.

bagpipe
9th Sep 2006, 21:56
It seems the army have learnt and they have four soldiers at massey aviaition for a uav project. Interesting that the air force are not training them. Maybe those army jokers know something we don't. I know of the guy in charge of the project and my mate reckons he's one smart cookie.