PDA

View Full Version : Windows Madia player?

tony draper
21st Aug 2006, 10:43
Been using IrfanView as image and media clip viewer,no particular reason,just downloaded it and it worked so I left it alone,yesterday I discovered Google videos and watched a couple of clips,then I downloaded a couple to keep on my hard disc,now I can watch them fine on the Google website they download and play no probs but the saved ones on the HD refuse to play,how does one go about changing the default media player back to windows media player and if I delete InfrnView will it also delete any images of clips I have saved.
IrfanView has also made itself the default Audio/music clip player,
:confused:
PS Still running winows 98

BLUE SKY THINKER
21st Aug 2006, 11:14
tony draper . . . . .

Not that simple (needless to say!). ...Not familiar with 'IrfanView' and limited likewise with Windows 98. ...However, this is the situation with XP and I can't believe the solution wont be similar.

When you view a 'Flash' video, such as Google, the file is downloaded as an FLV file into the Temporary Internet Files and as such is not as easily 'saveable' as Windows media files. ...Not impossible though:-

1. Create a folder: 'Flash Files'
2. Clear out Temporary Internet Files (optional; it just makes looking for the 'FLV' file easier).
3. View required video.
4. Go to Temporary Internet Files and look for the related 'FLV' file. ...Copy to your new 'Flash Files' folder.
5. Download a free FLV Player; I use THIS ONE (http://www.download.com/FLV-Player/3000-2139_4-10505954.html?tag=lst-0-1) (there are others).
6. Navigate from FLV Player to your 'Flash Files' and play (or in reverse, via 'Flash Files', 'Open With...' and navigate to FLV Player).

Tarq57
21st Aug 2006, 13:07
I've used Irfan, and a few others. With most media players (WMP no exception) to make it the default player open the player, click tools>options>file type, and tick the types of file you want it to be the default player for. Blue Sky Thinker has it right when saying WMP will not play flv files, so it is pointless doing the above for that reason. Another more cumbersome way to do it is via "file types" in "folder options".
Deleting Irfan (uninstalling it) should not delete the files but will remove any playlist settings you mmight have set.

tony draper
21st Aug 2006, 13:51
Thank you chaps ,will try some of that.:ok:

Mac the Knife
21st Aug 2006, 16:51
C'mon guys!

In Irfanview, select (at the top) Options/Set file associations - remove the checkmark from WMV (and whatever else you don't want associated with Irfanview).

:ok:

ormus55
21st Aug 2006, 17:08
if you right click on any file, then click open with, then tell it which program to use. it also gives you the option to state always use this program to open these sort of files.

simple.