PDA

View Full Version : Aviators - the real deal?

Andy_RR
21st Aug 2006, 08:56
I need to get a pair of prescription sunglasses to help me see and avoid, but being a complete fashion numpty, I also like to avoid making decisions relating to things I wear. This is an attempt to circumvent the agonising process of choosing a pair of frames.

OK, so now 'they say' that you should wear metal framed, non-polarising sunglasses when flying. It seems sensible to me too, that large lenses promote good vision, so it follows that the aviator style fits the bill nicely.

Unfortunately, I see the fashion industry have often used Aviator-style glasses to make some statement, which immediately puts me off. I hate to be a victim of the fashion industry, however, if there is a sound and reasoned argument that this design is founded on practical principles, I am happy to brush aside aspersions of fashion victimhood.

What's the collective PPRuNe opinion on this? Are Aviators 'the thing' for the job?

A

markflyer6580
21st Aug 2006, 09:02
They are indeed wank!
Every body I know with a pair is :
a) Not an aviator
b) looks a total arse with them on.

If you want something cool,a few of my speccy mates have various types of the metal framed Oakley glasses with prescription lenses in.
I reckon those Revo leader frames a'la Red arrows are quite cool....:ok:

S-Works
21st Aug 2006, 09:12
Maui Jims, Titanium Frame that does not disturbn the ear seal and amazing haze cutters!

Flash0710
21st Aug 2006, 09:17
The ones with the little p on the side are marvellous.....

Aviators are total knuckle shuffle:yuk:

f

IO540
21st Aug 2006, 09:25
#1 requirement: the thinnest possible side pieces so as to not allow noise to get under the headset, and to avoid them being pressed into one's head by the headset.

#2 requirement: not polarised, otherwise anything with an LCD display will be variously hard to read according to whether you sit the right way up and hang upside down :)

#3 requirement: avoid fancy tint colours. This is debatable according to preference. I have found that neutral (grey) tints make it hard to see buildings/airfields among a lot of green. Brown tint is good for this. Green tint is reportedly the best but makes colours look weird.

The most fashionable glasses, e.g. Oakleys, are generally crap for flying.

shortstripper
21st Aug 2006, 09:37
I tried a pair of suntiger orange glasses once and they were brilliant. I keep meaning to get some but I've never liked wearing glasses at all. I was OK without, but as I'm getting older I find I am less able to cope with glare so I guess it's time to look again.

SS

Darth_Bovine
21st Aug 2006, 09:56
I can only comment from personal experience; I fly with Revos. Not sure if you can get the prescription lenses though.

I find them great to increase contrast in almost any weather conditions. They are polarised, but I've never had any problems reading instruments. Granted they may cause a problem reading LCD instruments, but for me, that's only the OAT/Clock in the 172 I fly and I don't remember having any difficulty with it.

Most models have thin legs, which don't upset the Noise reduction of headsets too much.

I guess it's all down to personal preference. One point to note: the metal frames might not be as drop resistant as plastic frames. I've dropped mine a few times :ugh: and have noticed that they are slightly warped. But then I suppose you can't really adjust the fit of plastic ones as easy as metal frames can you???

Cheers,
DB

4SPOOLED
21st Aug 2006, 10:07
i wear ray bans....i like as small/thin as possible arms else they dig into the side of my head when pressed by my D/C headset. I like Glass lenses not plastic and something not polarised...although clouds tend to be much clearer in definition with polarised lenses after borrowing a mates makos when loosing my last pair at the pub.

Yeah the aviator glasses look kooky at the best of times especially when worn by a Student with 3 stripes on the shoulder and a shiney set of wings :)

BroomstickPilot
21st Aug 2006, 10:15
Andy R R,

This subject has been done to death over the years. I suggest you do a search on sunglasses and you will find a wealth of info.

One thing you haven't told us is whether you are a spectacle wearer, because that makes a lot of difference to the options available.

Broomstick.

Dried ears
21st Aug 2006, 11:04
Have you tried soft contact lenses? Mine come as standard with a UV filter which also slightly tints the lens (blue - and it's not cosmetic as my eyes are brown). It isn't a request, as I say the lenses come as standard like this. This tint means I don't need sunglasses at all, and I have no trouble seeing anything at all either inside or outside the aircraft. Unless your eyes are ultra sensitive to sunlight this should help. I find that without the contacts and just clear lens specs, the glare is a problem, but the contacts sort it.

Just a suggestion, as it negates the fashion issue, and negates also the frame verses headset issue. More comfortable and convenient too, you won't know you're wearing them, except you can see better. Of course legally you must carry a spare pair of specs, but then you already knew that.

Cusco
21st Aug 2006, 11:19
One thing you haven't told us is whether you are a spectacle wearer, because that makes a lot of difference to the options available.
Broomstick.
Its in his first sentence...'prescription sunglasses...............:bored: '
Safe flying
Cusco

Farrell
21st Aug 2006, 11:28
I've said it before........

Serengetti are the best flying glasses on the meerkat bar none!

Andy_RR
21st Aug 2006, 12:38
Thanks all for your responses!

I've just got back from the opticians and have a new pair of Oakley frames with some fandangled prescription lenses fitted (or will be). For the record, the optical prescription is a big determinant of which frames work well. The guys at Sheinman in Northampton did a sterling job of going through the options, as they did on my previous non-tinted prescription.

I have worn contacts and actually prefer to do so, but I haven't been able to get a comfortable prescription recently. Going back on Thursday to try again. Downside is you can spend almost as much on opticals as you can on flying! :(

There is another aviation poiint to this thread. As the guy at Sheinman's was showing me through the tinting options, we stepped outside through a fire door to try them out in sunlight. Just as we were looking skyward with the tint samples, the Red Arrows blasted across the top of the town in a pair of Vee formations. Fantastic to see - sent a pleasurable chill down my spine. Thanks guys! :)

A

hobbit1983
21st Aug 2006, 13:01
Not really helpful I know, but....
Post-LASIK surgery, I had a pair of wraparound sunglasses (from Transair) to stop any potential contaminants/stray fingers/anything! getting in my eyes - and they work really well for flying too! As they go all the way around, and cover all angles, from the sides etc.
The only drawback is sometimes people ask "why is that blind man flying the plane?"

Halfbaked_Boy
21st Aug 2006, 13:58
My Oakley prescriptions - incidentally bought from Sheinmans Northampton also - have undoubtedly been the best sunglasses I have used for flying to date. Polarised, corrected, and an almost black tint that still allows excellent visibility when the clouds come out! Have had no problems with regards to various headsets either... overall a very nice pair of glasses!

Cheers, Jack.

Pitts2112
21st Aug 2006, 14:39
Don't listen to the nonsense about polarised lenses. Anything that cuts down on glare and takes the strain off the eye is a bonus. Instrument displays only start to fade when you get to about 45 degrees head angle -and how many instruments do you look at at that angle? I use polarised lenses, the GPS is not a problem, and cutting out glare to see what's really there is a good thing.

Pitts2112

scooter boy
22nd Aug 2006, 00:04
IMHO lens tint is crucial.
Serengettis (which always reap praise in these discussions but which I have never tried) are brown tinted as are my currently favoured cebe pair. The brown tint crispens up the cloud definition no end.

Tried Raybans, Police, Randolphs, Oakleys, all the same - expensive fashion statement that makes you squirm when you break them.

I prefer contacts and shades rather than ordinary glasses and prescrition glasses - far too much of a faff in the cockpit especially in the helicopter.

Snug fit around headset is also very important.

Plastic frames are more forgiving to the misplaced derriere. :eek:

Reasonable price also very important as they will inevitably be lost, stepped on, sat on or scratched beyond recognition.

My contact lens provider sends me a free pair of el cheapo sunnies :cool: every time I place a new order and they actually are not bad - as were the McDonalds 99p sunglasses :cool: that were on sale a few years ago - bring em back Ronald if you're listening.

Despite the fact that I usually have about 3 pairs on the go :cool: :cool: :cool: I can never seem to find them :bored: . Must be scooter girl tidying up after me again!:(

SB