PDA

View Full Version : Connecting laptop to wireless Hub - help

Lynx
20th Aug 2006, 19:27
I have a BT wireless router and have a laptop running Win 98SE with a 802.11g network card. I can connect fine to the wireless hub and everything indicates I am connected.

However how do I connect to the internet? On my more modern laptop running Win XP I just click on the internet explorer blue icon and it automatically connects to the internet. No problems.

On the Win 98 laptop it tries to connect to a dial up line - There seem to be no option to connect wirelessly. I have disabled the dial up line but my laptop seems to think the only way it can connect is via a standard modem so Dial up networking is no good.
Anybody help out there? confused:

ormus55
20th Aug 2006, 20:04
trying to remember in win98se. its been a while since ive used it.

my computer, then control panel, then network connections, then LAN. right click on LAN and click properties.
you should be able to configure on how to connect, from there.

might be an idea to remove the dial up modem altogether.

Conan the Librarian
20th Aug 2006, 23:16
This is a screw up with the BT installation itself. How am I so confident? Guess where I just got back from! The whole problem revolves around the WEP wireless key, which is printed on the back surface of the BT router. There are two in fact. One for BT home hub and one for BT Fusion. The key is difficult to input into the PC so that you can log on and I am finding the same difficulty, though a few days ago, when faced with similar trauma, I spoke to the BT help line and we got it sorted on another desktop machine. Thing is, I can't remember exactly how we had to fiddle it, so sleep tonight and a quick call to BT will have both you and me sorted in the morning.

Conan's top tip for Sunday - Never volunteer to help friends :}

Conan