PDA

View Full Version : Hayfever - proof of symptom free? Plus a lovely timescale question.

rusty_y2k2
20th Aug 2006, 19:20
Hey all,

I'm currently making the first steps down the long and twisty road towards pilot-dom, having just sent off my AFCO 4 and associated forms (told you it was the first steps!).

My question, as those eagle-eyed among you may have realised, is to do with hayfever. Further it is a question which I have not been able to find answered in the archives (which may say more about me than the archives, but "you's takes you's chances").

I used to have Hayfever, and indeed it is on my medical record for 3 years, ending in 1996. Obviously this is not a huge problem as regards the 4 years free of medication part - but how in the name of alphabetty spaghetti is one supposed to prove that you are symptom free, let alone how long you have been such?

Further to that, the wording "may be accepted for aircrew" after the 4 year free part worries me slightly - Is my history of hayfever from 10 years ago going to make life that much harder for me?

And one completely off topic question:

I have currently been told so many things as regards how long the selection process is. For instance the chap I spoke to at the AFCO told me that it could take 6 months or more, whereas another at the RAF stall at Farnborough Air Show seemed to paint a somewhat more speedy picture. My reasons for asking are twofold. Firstly, I am getting on in years (last year I started making noises when I sit down and stand up... scary) at 22, and am aware I need to be able to have started training before the clock chimes 24:00 at the end of my 23'rd year. Secondly, my other (some might say reserve) option is a certain commercial aviation program which has progressed with alarming rapidity in which I have already passed initial screening, aptitude tests, interview and group activities and only have a final phase to go. I would like to know how long I might have to tell them stories of relatives dying etc in order to delay my start date should I pass this final stage (I've only got two grannies and an auntie left!).

Cheers for any help, comments, or hurtful remarks.

360BakTrak
20th Aug 2006, 19:25
Hurtful remarks?!?!?......you've been here before then:E :}

Runaway Gun
20th Aug 2006, 19:32
Noises when you sit down?

Eat more curry and become a bottom burping Herc pilot, and make more noise :)

Seriously, just give it a go, and see what the best offer is...

rusty_y2k2
20th Aug 2006, 20:00
Noises when you sit down?

Eat more curry and become a bottom burping Herc pilot, and make more noise :)

Seriously, just give it a go, and see what the best offer is...

Just give the RAF a go, or give eating more curry a go? :}

Jenkins - merely omitting that I had suffered from hayfever when younger had crossed my mind before I found out it was on my medical record. Given that fact it's probably best to mention it (too late now anyway, unless I can convince them that I ticked the wrong box!). Your initial rejection was in 1966 you say? Wow, I bet you make even more noises when you stand up and sit down than me! Cheers for the good luck wish, from reading up on OASC I may well need it!

360 - I've read a few threads ;)

deltahotel
21st Aug 2006, 13:56
Rusty. apply and good luck! why does the RAF do this when hay fever is (usually) treatable with modern non drowsy anti histamines? I developed hay fever for the first time in 1983 half way through the Bucc OCU. After self medicating and suffering for 3 weeks i finally plucked up the courage to see the doc (expecting to lose my med cat) to be given a prescripton for beconase, told to get back to flying and given a flea in my ear for not seeing him earlier. Still flying - now commercial - and still getting legal medication from Boots every summer (clarityn or telfast with occasional otrivine eye drops do it for me).

DH

Wader2
21st Aug 2006, 14:20
Secondly, my other (some might say reserve) option is a certain commercial aviation program which has progressed with alarming rapidity in which I have already passed initial screening, aptitude tests, interview and group activities and only have a final phase to go.

Bonus.

Tell the AFCO now that you have been selected for a commercial aviation program but you really really want to join the best outfit. Unfortunately you cannot hang around for some months before you go to OACS.

One of two things will happen. They will smile nicely and tell you to go fly civvie or they will expedite the process to avoid losing a good prospect.

You can't lose.

JAG3
21st Aug 2006, 14:44
If age is a problem and you really want to fly military, join the FAA.

Good Luck:ok:

rusty_y2k2
21st Aug 2006, 15:40
If age is a problem and you really want to fly military, join the FAA.
Good Luck:ok:

Honestly now, how is joining the Federal Aviation Administration going to help? ;) On a tangent (tangents are fun) I had heard that a common question these days is what does NATO stand for - I would be so tempted to make some joke regarding the National Association of Theatre Owners, but that would probably leave me sitting on the curb with a bus ticket home.

Fleet Air Arm is another option, but my true dreams lie in fast jet and from what I've been told the chances of getting onto that band wagon are even slimmer in the FAA than in the RAF (which makes them approximately half the width of a human hair). Age isn't yet a problem, but it does mean I have to get my proverbial skates on and that I really don't have the option of a go-around should things not pan out.

Wader - I should probably wait until I do pass the final barrier to selection before spouting off about it to anyone at the AFCO! Having said that I just can't make up my mind whether it would be a good idea - on the one hand it shows that I have this great offer of a ride into the commercial world, but am willing to stack it all in for the RAF... on the other hand maybe it suggests I'm not 100% committed to the RAF. I really don't know how the recruiters will view it. Any input on that front would be much appreciated!

Deltahotel - madness isn't it, I have even been told of numerous pilots with hayfever serving in the RAF who fly without trouble. Of course they "developed" it after joining... I believe a number of them also suffer from "summer colds" . Ultimately that's just the way it is, and there are millions of other things equally out of your control that one can fail on - I guess it's just a case of wait and see. As I say I don't currently suffer from hayfever, but I just have no way to prove that. I'm also training like a monkey on heat, so hopefully my fitness test scores will eliminate any doubt as to my fitness to serve (hit 63 pressups in a minute the other day - booyah!).

Cheers for all the wishes of luck gentlemen!