PDA

View Full Version : Copying large files (>1.4Mb) in DOS - How?

AirDawg
20th Aug 2006, 16:48
My old desktop running WIN98 will not bootup to Windows, several different fixes tried all w/o any success. And of course I have not backed up my data files in several months.
I'm now copying all the data files off the HDD via the good old DOS commands onto floppies and then transferring to the new laptop. But of course I'm unable to save any of the files larger than 1.4Mb.
Is there anyway of getting DOS to read a USB key? I've tried booting the PC with the USB key attached - no joy. Unable to find a way for the PC to recognize the USB key as a drive in BIOS.
I'm guessing I have about 70 - 80 files larger than a floppy capacity of which about a third of them are not replaceable.
Any and all suggestions or recommendations will be appreciated.
Thanks! and Cheers!

frostbite
20th Aug 2006, 16:54
There are some public domain file splitter programs around.

Try tucows or zdnet/downloads and enter file splitter in the search box.

ormus55
20th Aug 2006, 17:02
there are a couple of ways of doing this task.

first is to put the hdd into another PC as a second hdd. then get the first hdd OS (the normal OS) to copy the required files onto the first hdd or onto a cd.

second method, is to dl a copy of knoppix linux cd (free). run this linux OS on a disc, it doesnt effect the hdd in any way. it doesnt install itself. you just run it from the cd drive. you can then copy all files from a hdd onto a cd/dvd or flash drive.
assuming the pc can recognise the usb device? check your bios?

ps. i recommend everyone to get a copy of knoppix. it will save your bacon one day.

planecrazy.eu
20th Aug 2006, 17:05
Check out Linux.org.

I cant remember the name but ages ago i had to do the same thing, i downloaded a small version of linux that was designed for backing up. It allowed me to transfer all my files via the LAN. WinME one day decided some files had been delete and it wasnt going to start without an re-install. It was about 30megs this Linux thing, burn it to a CD. You would need another PC though to burn, It might have supported USB, or there might be one around that supports USB.

Or you can re-install windows without formatting, I have done it with XP, sure its possible with 98?

ormus55
20th Aug 2006, 17:08
reinstall might work, but you take a huge risk.
reinstalling often corrupts files or even looses them entirely!

ya pays ya money and takes yer choice.

Mac the Knife
20th Aug 2006, 17:46
Is there anyway of getting DOS to read a USB key?

Not difficult - Checkout

http://www.bootdisk.com/usb.htm

and

http://www.stefan2000.com/darkehorse/PC/DOS/Drivers/USB/

and

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=10215

I seem to recall I used the ubaspi drivers when I did it - quite easy

Good luck :ok:

DUSE supports USB 2.0 -

http://www.pocketech.net/downloads/duse_4_4.zip

IO540
20th Aug 2006, 18:45
I have an old utility called split.exe which will split a file called fred (e.g.) into

fred.001
fred.002
etc

with each chunk a specified size. PM me with your email if you want a copy.

One can concatenate the pieces with the old dos COPY command:

copy /b fred.001+fred.002+fred.003... fred

Can't beat DOS. I used to design CPM2.2 machines way back :)

seacue
20th Aug 2006, 23:42
Get a copy of PKZIP. It losslessly compresses DOS files and can "span" the resulting compressed ZIP file across more-than-one floppy in the case of large files. There is no maximum size limit.

I could send you PKZIP. I like it better than WinZIP for compressing things since one really has one's hands directly on the "controls".

Of course the Knoppix suggestion is more modern.

chandlers dad
21st Aug 2006, 04:26
You might also try a Zip drive. Some of them plug into the printer port on the computer and go up to 100 meg disks. The later ones have 250 or 750 meg floppies.

If you just want the data off of the drive, pull the drive out of the computer, plug it into another computer as a "slave" drive (D) drive and copy the info that way. Do this with a desktop computer then either network the desktop to the laptop, or copy to a CD, USB or other drive then to the laptop. Personally I network my laptop to my desktop.

Everytime I return home from a flight I back up the laptop on the desktop, then backup both onto a 160 gig external USB drive that is connected to the desktop. That way all three would have to go down before I lose major data.

Mac the Knife
21st Aug 2006, 06:03
Split, PKZIP, Zip drives......

Booting up with a USB capable DOS bootdisk and transferring the files to a USB key is a LOT easier!

:ok:

Tinstaafl
21st Aug 2006, 18:43
Another option if you have a serial cable is to link the two PCs & transfer the files over the serial cable.

DG101
21st Aug 2006, 23:28
ormus55

... second method, is to dl a copy of knoppix linux cd (free). ...

Having once, many years ago, through my own stupidity and arrogance, rendered an IBM mainframe, and all admin systems - including payroll, unusable for more time than was comfortable, I can see the value of having an independant method of accessing yer data. Knoppix looks like it may well be a valuable standby for windoze, and, who knows, it may, perhaps, one day, become the primary OS on my laptop. (I do enjoy playing with new toys).

Unfortunately, your advice to dl (which I interpret as download) a copy of the OS appears to be a less than trivial task. Although I have located many mirror sites, those I have tried appear to have broken or inoperative links. Thus far, using command line FTP has been less than fruitful. So, can you recommend a working site?

And no - my earlier adventure did not result in a P45. The debrief session could be described as "interesting" :uhoh: but productive.

Tinstaafl
22nd Aug 2006, 03:20
Try Kanotix instead. It's a Knoppix derived distribution with - I think - improved HD installation. Still has the usual suite of tools etc.

It's the only distro I've found that automatically configured my laptop's winmodem (yech....). :)

www.kanotix.com

ormus55
22nd Aug 2006, 09:12
http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html

im sure i just used the mirror site at kent university. follow the dl button on the above site.

if you have a problem, PM me and i can send you a copy.

AirDawg
17th Sep 2006, 07:44
I apologize for not responding sooner with the results of trying some of the different fixes mentioned above.

In order of fix attempts:

Knoppix ? tried downloading a couple of different versions from a couple of different university websites. None worked. Could very well have been operator error.

USB Driver set for DOS ? the config files on the old desktop were too fouled up and the sys files with this software did not work.

PKZIP / split.exe - same problem as above, too many of the old files were corrupted.

USB/IDE Cable Adapter from Geeks.com ? worked perfectly. I was able to transfer all the files from the old HDD to the new one without any problems. Setup was easy, as soon as I connected the USB cable to the new laptop it immediately recognized the old drive as E:.

Many Thanks! to all those who made recommendations and provided suggestions. I greatly appreciated it.

Cheers!
Mike