PDA

View Full Version : Females at Gatwick

CPLtitov
19th Aug 2006, 20:23
In the initial Class one medical UK-CAA, what are the chances that you get a female doctor in the general final physical examination ?
i am interested to know because you know that they check yours nuts and i am quite shy !!

Willows
19th Aug 2006, 21:09
:hmm:

You want a female doctor to check your nuts instead of a male?

Earthmover
19th Aug 2006, 21:19
Well he is only 15 :ooh:

Hufty
19th Aug 2006, 21:22
I think you have to pay extra if you want a woman to examine your 'nads :D

Seriously though, I think most if not all of the AMEs there are blokes. Just call them and ask - they are good people and will help you out.

Good luck with the medical!

EI-Shamrock
19th Aug 2006, 21:43
They never did that as part of my medical! No seriously, they never bothered.

CPLtitov
19th Aug 2006, 21:45
you don't understand...i want a male ,,not a female !!!!!!

EI-Shamrock
19th Aug 2006, 21:48
I think you have to be 17 to do a Class 1, so don't worry about it!

Willows
19th Aug 2006, 21:50
Well he is only 15 :ooh:

Entitled to a Class one medical? Is the minimum age not 17?

I think females can specify to be checked over by other females for obvious reasons. Most AMEs are male, you're more likely to checked by a guy.

I wouldn't worry about it, CPLtitov.

Jinkster
19th Aug 2006, 22:57
hmm.....could be embarassing with a female examiner. unless she's german and called olga :eek:

Jimmy The Big Greek
20th Aug 2006, 00:23
I really don't care if it is a male/female/hermafrodite that checks my jewels as long as they say that there is no problem with them. You are most likely never going to meet that person again and they have probably touched 1000 of them.

Now for the prostate examination, its a another story. I probably would prefer a female doc (smallar and thinner fingers) :E

Olof
20th Aug 2006, 09:44
CPLtitov, I've worked with countless of Doctors as an assistant nurse. I promise you that he/she won't give a rats arse about your nuts. They are proffesionals. You're a patient nothing more.

Threethirteen
20th Aug 2006, 09:57
Why do we need our nuts checked anyway? Do they have to "clang" before we're allowed to fly into Greek Island airfields?

Seriously, I'd love to know the real physiological reason for the standard "Drop and Cough" if anyone can provide a qualified opinion.

CPLtitov
20th Aug 2006, 12:54
is there also a prostate check ????
i asked my friends and 50% of them got a femal examiner in the initial..they said that there is always a male and a female examiner in the same day so they share the work:ugh: :{

rusty_y2k2
20th Aug 2006, 17:42
Why do we need our nuts checked anyway? Do they have to "clang" before we're allowed to fly into Greek Island airfields?

Seriously, I'd love to know the real physiological reason for the standard "Drop and Cough" if anyone can provide a qualified opinion.

You know, I've long wondered the same thing.... but never found out!

I think i'll ask my medicine studying chum from Uni.

EI-Shamrock
20th Aug 2006, 18:43
I thought it was to check for cancer, same reason they check older gentlemen's prostates? Could be wrong on that though.

CPLtitov, don't worry about it! You've another few years before you're even allowed to get a Class 1. There's no point in worrying about it, it's just something you have to do.

EI-Shamrock
20th Aug 2006, 18:45
Cesco,

I was the same. Had my initial a few months ago, and no "nuts check" either.

Beethoven
20th Aug 2006, 23:01
Things must have changed then as I had a comprehensive nut check at Gatwick in 1997 (ish)..Not just a cough n drop but a full-on roll 'em around in the hand exam! I would not worry about it mate, as stated before they are just doctors and have twiddled around with thousands of balls in their time. Unless you have a particularly unique or impressive set I doubt they will be remembering them on their drive home..

Beet.

Jimmy The Big Greek
21st Aug 2006, 00:05
Its to check for hernia, that the balls are in place, and how many you have,

Checking the testicles is very important for flight crew since we have an increased risk for testicular cancer. Its good to check your balls in the shower for any abnormal- weight or form.

rusty_y2k2
21st Aug 2006, 17:19
My friend just got back to me (he's in Canada at the moment, hence the delayed response) with the following:

"Coughing increases intra-abdominal pressure, thus increasing the prominence of a potential inguinal or testicular hernia...I think that answers your question...next"

So there you go!

rhovsquared
25th Aug 2006, 16:56
My Family doctor is a beautiful lady my age, I CAN NOT have her check me there, 'cuz definite embarassment:O :O :O,
but hernia can be serious, and testicular cancer [common in youths] is bad,I check myself as should you for cancer[monthy]. get to know your own nuts:}
so if by chance you get a female for a short duration exam of your privates; close your eyes and think of holding pattern entries -with left turns :\

Fate IS The Hunter,...but Chance Favors The Prepared Mind :}

rhov :)

Simon853
15th Sep 2006, 00:09
testicular cancer [common in youths] is bad

Testicular Cancer is not common in any age group, but it is the most prevalent form of cancer in younger men. But even then, it is very rare.

Having said that, I was unfortunately diagnosed with TC in November last year, after passing my Class 1 medical (including balls check) earlier in the year. The disease had developed rapidly over a couple of months and by the time the all the checks, tests and appointments were over and the diagnosis confirmed it had spread. (I thought I had strained something, and my gp thought it was either that or a cyst and sent me away. Only when I came back again did he refer me.) However, my specific combination of TC (there are many) was easily treatable with chemotherapy and I have had no signs of persistent activity since the new year. If I had ignored the lump, I would be dead by now.

Ball checks during a medical really are no big deal. As someone else said, they're all professionals who've see a thousand others of all shapes and sizes. And don't worry about any embarrassing reactions, you'll be so self-conscious during the medical that you'd never, ever subconsciously consider it the slightest bit erotic!

And, should they actually (though very unlikely) find something, believe me: in the longer run you'd rather know now.

Cheers,

Si

Wylee coyote
15th Sep 2006, 05:22
I would be happy if a female doc was checking my nads:E

rhovsquared
19th Sep 2006, 19:24
Simon853
sorry, bad choice of words [more common =better choice ] your absolutely right:ok:

To The Ramp On Point-Niner:}
rhov:)

alberto86
19th Sep 2006, 20:32
hello all,
during my initial class 1 medical at Gatwick, last november, I was checked by a woman when it was time for the general check...so I let you guess what she checked...lol

She was very professional though ...:ok: