PDA

View Full Version : Airline sim rides

EGPE
19th Aug 2006, 11:29
Haven taken the modular route to get my frozen ATPL I qualified about 4 months ago. The first application I filled out was for Thomsonfly and got through to the final stage but failed on the sim ride. I had a practise session the day before on the full motion sim at the cost of 2K for 4hrs, Or pay for 4hrs but you only get 3 as it turned out! Anyway I was told to go in to the assessment and don't let on I had ever been in the sim before. I thought that it would be foolish to do that as these guys have been training people for years and they would realise right away making you look like a lier! The conversation went like this.
Training Captain- Who has 737 time?
Bloke 1- NO
Bloke 2- NO
Me- Yes I have some sim time
TC- How much?
Me- Over 2hrs
TC- Full motion?
Me- Yes
TC- When was this?
Me- Yesterday afternoon
TC- Was it this sim here?
Me- Yes it was
The look in his eyes said it all and I knew he was looking for something special from that point on! It felt like sitting on death row waiting for my turn in the sim! Then in we went, he said "since you have flown this before I wont demonstrate this lets just get in to it" First 2 times round SID and ILS were ropey but within legal limits! The third time I absolutely NAILED IT! only bad points were I flew through localiser to about 1/8 scale at initial capture and once visual at last 200ft or so I got high. I thought thank :mad: for that I have pulled it out of the bag here! But I must have done enough damage on the first 2 runs! I am sure being honest cost me the job which gives me a big dilemma for future sim rides should I be lucky enough to get one! Do I practise and then don't tell them about it, at the risk of them realising and chopping you for being seen as a lier!
So thats the story of my only sim ride and chance at a job in the last 4/5 months. But what I want to know is have you been in the same situation and not told them about having a practise, then been found out? Or have you had a practise not told them, and gone on to get the job? Not just Thomsonfly but any airline!

1800-how'smyflying
19th Aug 2006, 15:05
I have heard of somebody who was in for a sim check, and like EGPE, had been in the sim the previous day. When asked had he ever flown the sim he lied, and the examiner flicked back a couple of days in the tech log and saw his name! He didn't get the job.

I think its a good idea to practise if you can, and if your asked about it you don't have much choice but to be honest.

Pilot Pete
20th Aug 2006, 02:01
Geeting sim practice in shows the RIGHT attitude. You want the job to the point that you are attempting to ensure your performance is at its best. This is exactly the sort of attitude that they are looking for. Liars however are not.

Another thing the assessors are after are basic handling and an ability to recognise and self debrief (facilitate) in order to improve your performance. CRM is an area that far too few candidates give enough consideration to. You may be able to stick and rudder like Chuck Yaeger, but if the assessor thinks you are arrogant, or under confident, or just someone that he wouldn't like to share a cockpit with then you are in trouble. It is all about TRAINING RISK. Don't just assume because you flew 'within limits' that you should have passed.

PP

buttline
20th Aug 2006, 07:32
I've worked for 3 companies now and I've done practice sims before sim tests for all of them. The trick is to make sure you book a sim that is in a different location from where you'll be tested and make sure the TRI you hire is not from the same airline (a lot of TRIs freelance on the side whilst working for an airline). Pete is right though - aviation is a very small world - if asked, don't lie.

Even if you fly the line regularly, it's a good idea to do sim practice if you can spare the cash and want the job badly enough.

I'm long-haul (A340) now so I'm expecting my raw data flying skills will be very much in need of resurrection before any future sim test!

It's very sad when you meet good guys during airline selection who make it past all the HR psych tests, interview etc only to fail the damn sim check. For the sake of £800 or so for 2 hours - if the practice could make the difference between getting your dream job or not - I think it's well worth it.

dartagnan
20th Aug 2006, 15:28
got sim ride on the 320.

instructor: how many hours?
me:20, for mcc
instructor, Ok lets start...

after 40 minutes:

instructor: did you enjoy?
yes...

instructor:you are OK for me!!!!
who is next???

blueskiesup
20th Aug 2006, 20:35
Just tried looking for european avitaion on the net, any idea what the site address is???

TRISTAR1
20th Aug 2006, 22:51
phone them on 01202581111 and ask for mike bolton

Never Down
21st Aug 2006, 08:15
Surfing on the web, I found this link:
http://www.eaac.co.uk/flight_training/contact.jsp

Northern Highflyer
21st Aug 2006, 09:21
EGPE

I had exactly the same situation and conversation as you very recently. :ugh: