PDA

View Full Version : Know loads about things apart from broadband

gingernut
19th Aug 2006, 03:33
'scuse my ignorance :-) Just bought a laptop with the ambition of being able to surf the web( broadband) anywhere in the house without the need for lots of cables-ideally I'd like to turn this on anywhere in the house and get on line.

Trouble is, I,m living in rented accomodation and will be moving soon, to another adress which could have a different phone supplier.(in the next couple of months) My laptop (Packard Belll R1935) has a "LAN WIRELESS" card, whatever that is?

I don't mind paying the bill for connectivity, but don't wanna be tide into a big debt for something that won't be used in the future. It might sound like a daft question, but if I signed up now, can I take my "package" to th e next house?

rotorcraig
19th Aug 2006, 07:12
In short, yes.

But some ISPs make it simple for you (going so far as to let BT swap your broadband when they swap your phone line) and others make it much more difficult.

I'm with PIPEX and have enjoyed a great broadband service for a couple of years, but when I moved 100 yards up the road I ended up without broadband for 2 weeks :* :ugh:

So ask this explicitly before you sign up with your ISP of choice.

RC

ormus55
19th Aug 2006, 10:06
to use your wireless lan card, on the lappy, you will also need a wireless router. a combined modem/router is best.

some isp,s are giving wireless routers away with their BB deals.

i seem to remember that there is a least one company doing a monthly contract BB deal?
but i cannot remember the name.

potkettleblack
21st Aug 2006, 14:14
The following link will give you just about everything you need to know about the 100's of ISPs that are around. I specifically went for one that only had a months notice and no minimum term to avoid being locked in for a year or more like so many of them do so it is possible.

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/

gingernut
25th Aug 2006, 22:33
thanks for the replies, I'll check out the link:)