PDA

View Full Version : Lt Dave Nicholson RN (Passed Away)

gowaz
18th Aug 2006, 21:41
Lt Dave Nicholson RN (Fishie) passed away this morning after a 6 week fight against cancer. Royal Navy Aviator and GB Airways Captain. A fine friend. A great loss.

N Arslow
18th Aug 2006, 23:31
Dammit:( I really loved the times flying with you Fishie - thinking about it still brings a smile but this - how sad. My sincere condolences to the loved ones left behind.

spankymonkey
18th Aug 2006, 23:46
Terrible news, not much more to say.

See you on the flip side.

jockspice
19th Aug 2006, 06:35
A very sad loss. One of the best beefers when I was at 705 all those years ago. He also sold me his house when I had a severe hangover, him likewise and my wife doing all the question asking, looking round and the negotiating, with Fish and me sitting on the couch spinning dits.
Heartfelt condolences. :sad:

Si Clik
19th Aug 2006, 09:17
Since I wrote his last report and knew him for over 10 years through thick and thin this is a terrible tragedy just when things were going so well.

Si:(

12 PSI
19th Aug 2006, 12:54
Top Bloke - one of the good guys, will be sadly missed. I remember the Trappers quiz debrief you gave me a few years back - which you started with "how did I do, did I ask good questions?" followed by that huge infectious smile. RIP Mate, I shall raise a glass....

Toxteth O'Grady
19th Aug 2006, 13:34
"Those who bring sunshine to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves."
RIP, mate.

:cool:

TOG

Radar Command T/O
19th Aug 2006, 13:51
A shock, and a tragedy. A top guy, Fishie, thanks for all the good times.
I'll also miss your superb timing. Your two weeks on the Squadron always seemed to coincide with either atrocious weather or appalling serviceability, thus permitting more dit-spinning. How did you manage it?
RIP. :(

STAN DEASY
19th Aug 2006, 14:44
Fishie was a smashing bloke blessed with a lovely smile and so kind natured with never a bad word said about him. It all seems so terribly unjust.

Ivor Fynn
19th Aug 2006, 15:08
Fishie,
top Bloke and a fine example to many. Will be truly missed by many RN, RAF and those at MAN.

A Sad Day for all who knew Dave.

Ivor

Rangeblind
19th Aug 2006, 18:10
Always had a smile, great guy, great loss RIP.

Triple Matched TQ
19th Aug 2006, 19:22
A great aviator and great dit spinner. Heartfelt condolences.

cobaltfrog
19th Aug 2006, 21:01
Last course 705 Gazelle, Last Navex and Landaway with Fishie. Lets just say it was fantastic!! I never knew gazelles could do that!

Sad loss and a great bloke.

12 PSI
19th Aug 2006, 21:07
Anyone got any funeral details?

MaxAOB
19th Aug 2006, 21:56
Joined BRNC with Fishy as part of 28 Flight and instantly became great friends, was it really almost a quarter of a century ago? All the comments above do not sum up what a fantastic bloke he was, and yes that smile. Funeral not expected for a couple of weeks. See you there :( He deserved better and Saints are now deprived of one of their biggest supporters. Sincere condolences to his dad and daughter. :(

Bigtop
20th Aug 2006, 08:43
A great bloke and a good friend. Fishie I'll miss your great dits.
Condolences to all.

Oggin Aviator
20th Aug 2006, 09:47
Wow

Fishie flew one of my BOC Gazelle Navex Sorties and then years later flew on my last trap. I remember the solid advice, given without scorn, and the infectious smile. A great bloke, he will be missed.

RIP

Oggin

Easy,easy,steady.
20th Aug 2006, 20:36
A great loss to all who knew him. RIP mate.

The Ferret
21st Aug 2006, 01:41
The big C has a lot to answer for! A tragic loss - amongst other times I remember Fishie flying the FONA Gazelle with me on a staff visit up to Shawbury - the only way to travel and what a great chap to do it with! You will be sorely missed Fishie.

The Ferret:cool: :cool: :cool:

collectivefriction
21st Aug 2006, 08:26
If I made a list of the top ten guys I have flown with then Fish would be up near the top. A very sad day...

MaxAOB
21st Aug 2006, 11:57
Aytoo, No that was another Dave!!

Rgds

merlinboy
21st Aug 2006, 16:17
Having helped bring Merlin into service with Fishie and later been his CO when he did his RNR time i can honestly say he was one of the finest aviators i ever flew with....a real talent. He will be sorely missed as a friend, a son and a father. All the very best pal and keep an eye out for the rest of us!!

Kev

FlyingLotus
21st Aug 2006, 18:17
I joined th RN with Fishie too many years ago to post here, we remained great friends from the moment we arrived at Dartmouth and we subsequently served together on a number of Squadrons. A few years later he was the obvious choice to be my Best Man.

I was absulotely shocked to hear the news.

He will indeed be missed by all who knew and flew with him.

stormypete
21st Aug 2006, 20:06
Ex Crab, served with Fish on 705. Absolutely top man, great sense of humour. Had not seen him for years until a party last Nov. It was like we were still on the same Sqn. Registered just to post this. If anyone has funeral details could you post them.

Mel Effluent
22nd Aug 2006, 06:53
I knew Fishie well as a student, beefer and trapper; always a pleasure to fly with and a genuine "bon oeuf toute circulaire". A great loss.

RIP

Wigster
22nd Aug 2006, 10:12
Like many others who have posted a reply here, l also had the honour to fly with Fishy in the RN and then again with GB Airways. It was indeed a great pleasure to consider him one of my very good friends and he will be sadly missed by not only myself but my whole family who all came to know him.He was a thoroughly professional aviator and a great man to share a few beers with......always the optimist with a smile on his face. Fishy,keep a cold one ready for me mate.

gowaz
22nd Aug 2006, 14:47
I placed this post to inform all Fishie's friends of the sad news. I was visiting Dave, his father Roger and daughter Anna on Thursday/Friday last week with my family. I have not intruded on Roger's privacy apart from an answerphone message on Monday. I will post any information I receive and may make Roger and Anna aware of your lovely posts; please let me know how feel about me doing that?
Dave was very upbeat on thursday night, thinking of a new car and a boat! He was looking forward to seeing 'Snake' at the weekend and his mate Phil on the Friday. He had a positive outlook and was undemanding on those around him, he was the perfect host. I don't know how much pain he was in, but he was completely unselfish and did all he could to make my familys stay enjoyable.
My thoughts are with Anna and Roger.
Paul Latham....(stick buddy)
p.s. Snake can you call or e mail.

frederico
23rd Aug 2006, 07:58
Terrible news.

Fishie sold me his share in a clapped-out C172 at Land's End over a beer at the Halzephron and gave me so much advice when I was doing my CPL/IR tests. Used to see him at St Mary's on a Saturday watching Saints ....

There was no nicer bloke than Fishie
rip matey

360Auto
23rd Aug 2006, 16:00
Gowaz - Check you emails

PULL THROUGH
23rd Aug 2006, 19:10
Shocked and stunned to hear the sad news.
I'll always remember Dave even from the early days at BRNC as being the one of us one 28 Flt with irrepressible good humour and a beaming smile.
Fish you will be sorely missed to world is a poorer place without you

gowaz
24th Aug 2006, 07:25
Funeral on Thur 31 August at 11:30am

Funeral at St Boniface Church
Hursley Road (near rail station)
Chandlers Ford
(North of Southhampton J12 M3)

Crematorium afterwards, followed by Chilworth Manor Hotel, between Romsey and Southampton Road.

Dave's Dad has details about your posts. Dave will be given a military send off; lots of friends from Culdrose attending.

Roger doesn't want flowers, but if you feel like you want to make a gesture could you make a donation to CANCER RESEARCH UK.

Paul...

Fatman
24th Aug 2006, 20:21
An absolutely out-the-blue shocking to the core news. Fishie was one of my first studes (a long time ago....)- so I guess it can only seem like saying the long goodbye to your offspring. It was only 5 weeks ago I was teasing him about his tabbing habits on the "famous" balcony and he replied with the good nature banter which involved red nosed clowns and travellling sex - typical he must of known of his illness then-yet was still grinning.. An outstanding bloke and one of he most practical & down to earth trappers I have known. We shall miss him terribly

burpblade
25th Aug 2006, 19:54
Fish - A special man with a special smile and an old school SL shag of the highest order. Sad to hear this news and condolences to all who were close and dear to him.

C.King
25th Aug 2006, 21:39
Totally shocked to hear this news. Dave was one of the nicest blokes you could ever hope to meet. Incredibly sad.

RIP mate.

WIGYCIWYT
26th Aug 2006, 20:28
Such sad and shocking news. Served with Fishy on 705 and 849 before he relieved me on trappers. On every one his warmth, humour and infectious smile never failed to raise morale. Unquestionably a top bloke and bloody good poler to boot! Will drink a farewell toast (or two) on Thursday and remember the runs ashore.

raddish
26th Aug 2006, 21:10
Fishy, fishy, fishy

Taught me everything i know about flying! (well nearly everything)

Farewell and goodbye
Thanks!

Hopefully catch up with everyone on Thursday for a final farewell

Raddish

Ox cidental
27th Aug 2006, 23:18
FISHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY was my Splot on 849 Aardvark's in 94-95. A very easy going and affable gentle man and a thoroughly profession operator. He was a keen swimmer and not even the extremely chlorinated Italian swimming pools could hold him back...although spagetti alio olio pepperacini was a challenge.

He was always in the thick of social activities, from starting or sustaining crew room banter or mustering the troops for a serious session in the corner bar of Invince.

Fishy, you will will truely be missed and always remembered.

Chris Ox Money

Oggin Aviator
28th Aug 2006, 21:01
For Fishie's funeral I take it is 1's (ex 5's) with medals ?? Understand there is a lot of CU people coming up - they will all be in rig?

Rgds

Oggin

N Arslow
30th Aug 2006, 18:56
I cannot make it tomorrow, which I am really disappointed about. My thoughts though, will be.
RIP

Greenfinch
31st Aug 2006, 17:49
Wigster wrote:

He was a thoroughly professional aviator and a great man to share a few beers with......always the optimist with a smile on his face.

So true Wigster !

I sadly only got to fly with Fishy on 2 occasions (at GB Airways) and it was both a pleasure and an honour. I did, however, get to quaff numerous beers with Fishy (and Wigster) and I'll cherish the memories of our nights on the lash.

Fishy's send-off today was an incredibly moving event, complete with a fly-by of 2 Merlins and a Sea King, and the vast numbers in attendance reflected the great popularity of 'The Fish'.

You were a dear friend mate and you'll be sorely missed.

GF (a.k.a. Reestyboy)

expinger
31st Aug 2006, 18:58
Fishy.......a wonderful friend and probably the finest aviator I've ever met! You're smile, you're humour and you're wonderful personality will be missed by everyone you touched. My thoughts and condolences go out to Anna and to all your family. RIP, God Bless & farewell old friend, we'll never forget you....Windy & Kath

Jungli
31st Aug 2006, 19:27
Very sad news - I have not seen him for years but he was 'one of the characters' that you do not forget and the FAA respects so highly.

LockedandReady
1st Sep 2006, 18:08
A real gentleman aviator and a good friend, Fishy, you will be sorely missed. 'Only the good die young..' - never a truer word fella.

Rest in Piece matey,

H:(

gowaz
3rd Sep 2006, 11:56
Please find attached a message from Dave's family. They have been watching the site with great interest. Thank you.
“The family were overwhelmed by all of your comments on the forum website, and it was wonderful to meet so many of you after David’s funeral. Your support has given us all a tremendous lift, as did your fly past. We feel so proud that you should have honoured him in that way. We have always thought of him as one of the best and your comments acknowledge that you appreciated him in the same way. On behalf of Roger and Anna and the family, thank you so much.
Barry (Uncle and Godfather)”