PDA

View Full Version : Typhoon withdrawn, Cranwell closed...

scribbler614
17th Aug 2006, 14:31
Quiet half hour in office.
Reaching for my trusty crystal ball, what is this I see emerging from the mists of future time? A disturbing extract from the BBC news website, two decades hence.....
---------------------------------
August 17, 2026. TYPHOON'S LAST BLAST

King William and Prime Minister Euan Blair today attended a ceremony to mark the disbanding of the RAF's last squadron of manned combat aircraft.
Watched by a small crowd, the final remaining unit of 12 ageing Typhoon jets performed one last flypast at a rain-swept RAF Brize Norton, the service's only remaining flying station.
The number of manned aircraft has plummeted as cheaper unmanned aerial vehicles have usurped the role of pilots - ever since drones proved their worth so dramatically in the 2012 invasion of Iran.
Now virtually all RAF operations involve UAVs - provided under a PFI contract by the global defence and furniture conglomerate BAE-Ikea.
The drones are operated remotely via satellites - mostly by balding computer technicians with bad skin and rows of biros in their shirt pockets, who have never been near a cockpit but sit in a heavily-guarded shed on the outskirts of Slough, drinking cheap coffee.
Only the recently-delivered A400M transporters are still flown by humans, and are kept busy ferrying the Army's three remaining infantry battalions to and from Afghanistan's Helmand province, where fighting against the Taliban recently entered its 21st year.
Martin Baker - the former leading producer of ejection seats for fast jets - called in the receivers last month, admitting that its foray into the luxury sofa market had been 'misguided.'
The RAF's already shrinking reputation was crushed two years ago when the entire class of officer cadets at its Cranwell training college was arrested and subsequently jailed for terrorism offences.
The young and eager would-be pilots had formed a secret society of modern-day machine wreckers, roaming military installations at night wearing balaclavas and smashing UAVs to pieces with cricket bats.
The final tragic irony came when the then Chief of the Air Staff - suspected by Special Branch of being the ringleader - was shot down over the Buckinghamshire countryside during an unauthorised sortie in a vintage Tornado bomber he had stolen from the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight.
Air Chief Marshall Sir George Sticken-Ruddahr was blown from the skies by a police-operated UAV drone close to the Prime Minister's official residence at Chequers.
A leaked Board of Inquiry report later concluded that the crazed chief had been attempting a futile kamikaze-style attack - using the ageing and obsolete jet which he learnt to fly as a young man - in protest at the fate of his beloved service.
Pprune, the shadowy aviation 'chatroom' used to coordinate the attacks, was officially proscribed as a terrorist organisation, and membership is now illegal.
------------------------------------------
Hmmmm. What do the experts think?
Will the era of the military combat pilot last much more than, say, 120 years?
For how long will human-in-the-loop mean human-in-the-sky?
Will your children or their children ever don their green bags and pumpy trousers, and slip the surly bonds of earth? Or will UAVs give a whole new meaning to 'flying a desk'?
Will Typhoon and JSF be the last strike aircraft fitted with a seat?
Will the new carriers have too much deck space for the little diddie UAVs they'll actually operate?

Tombstone
17th Aug 2006, 14:56
With an imagination like that, you must work for the Sun! :D

scribbler614
17th Aug 2006, 15:01
Close, Tombstone!
Am indeed a grubby defence hack. Interested in views from the sharp end on whether you're all doomed by flying robots in your twilight years;)

scribbler614
17th Aug 2006, 15:14
Close, Tombstone!
Am indeed a grubby defence hack. Interested in views from the sharp end - not for quotation, I should add - on whether you're all doomed by flying robots in your twilight years;)
Anyone hazard a view?

South Bound
17th Aug 2006, 15:33
Scribbs, must be a journo - quoting yourself! :E

Starter for 10 then:

Fast air (risk) and sensor platforms (increasing loiter times, improved datalinks) all unmanned, AT and rotary remain manned (hey, if I am down the back, I want someone in the front...).

Vatican69
17th Aug 2006, 15:35
At the risk of appearing in Fridays Sun.

I would venture that there are a few years left yet before the computer geeks take over.

Rotary would be the last to go I'm sure!!

GeeRam
17th Aug 2006, 15:38
There's a classic quote in one of the vintage flims about the SBAC shows at Farnborough, during one of the first Lightning displays.......

"The Lightning.....said to be the last of the manned fighters"

That was over 45 years ago, and the Mk1 eyeball with grey matter interface is still clinging on in todays high tech world.......

BEagle
17th Aug 2006, 16:26
How many Predators have the spams crunched in landing accidents now?

I hope that I shall be worm-fodder before the geeks get their Royal Aeromodel Force.........

Phoney Tony
17th Aug 2006, 17:57
Been around this buoy before, but here goes:

UAVs will have a place in the future, however, there is only a limited space in the RF spectrum. Thus there is a limit to the number of UAVs which can operate within the battlespace.

Comms, in the main, are a single point of failure for these system.

A predator system uses up more than 2 C130s to deploy and requires about 50 people to provide support.

They are not all weather and suffer from a high attrition rate conducting normal flight operations - takeoff landing etc.

They are limited in terms of payload.

Where are we going to train with these devices.

What will the great unwashed say when a UAV hits a commercial airliner.

Why are the army and navy not looking at unmanned ships and armoured vehicles. The safety software required in this area is simple. If the computer is unhappy stop!

Phil_R
17th Aug 2006, 18:20
Hi,

Doesn't the USAF fly old F-4s as target drones for missile practice? I'd have thought that against technologically unsophisticated bad-guys this was fairly inevitably where it's heading.

The only reason I pipe up with my opinion here is that the film industry is currently going through vaguely-comparable throes as 35mm film really does look like it's finally being given the elbow by high-res digital video kit. Yes, it's the end of "an era", yes it'll be sorely missed, no it doesn't have the same magic when you're shooting it, but likewise it's being done for fairly sound logical reasons. Such is the price of progress.

So long as it really is progress, of course.

Phil

Low Flier
17th Aug 2006, 18:25
He must indeed be a MurdochGatesHalliburton hack. Everyone else knows that the rump of Royal Air Force was finally stood down back in 2018, and took its rightful place in History, alongside the Royal Observer Corps, the Fleet Air Arm and the Worshipful Company of Archers. The last few cockpit attendants who were still current on the STOVLshytefyghter (known as the 'Shovel' for its handling characteristics and load-carrying capabilities), did join the two Blaircraft Carriers for the final farewell cruise around the drowning islands of the Pacific and Indian Ocean the following year, but that was in FAA uniform and culminated in the tying up of the rusting hulks alongside the now closed UN building on the East River and the new FauxNews building on the site of the former Palace of Westminster repectively.

It was entirely reasonable to close out the former UK armed forces in the way that President McCain decided to do at the beginning of his third term. Following the incorporation of Puerto Rico, Britain and Cuba into the Union, there really wasn't any need for the former UK to have any self-operated defence forces. It was quite sufficient to keep a few soldiers in the Royal Artillery to enable a 42 gun salute to be fired in honour of the President on his visits to AirstripOne and to retain the Britain National Guard unit with which Governor Jenna Bush of London occasionally needs to teargas any terrorists in Hyde Park who refuse to chant the daily Pledge of Allegiance at 9am every day.

In the final Defence Review prior to the final dissolution of Parliament, so appropriately called "Cry Freedom", it was explained that the streamlining of funds directly from the Exchequer to the US Treasury was vastly more efficient than the cumbersome method of putting billions through middle men such as the firms like Boeing and LocMar which own the GOP and the White House.

Following the unfortunate vitrification of Persia and the Arabian peninsula in the friendly fire incidents which so firmly placed the word "nookuler" into what had previously been known as the English language, and following the now unopposed establishment of Zion's borders as being bounded by the Nile and the Euphrates, and following the forced removal of the surviving terrorists who used to be called Palestinians, and following the unopposed accession of HalliburtonExxon's vertically integrated oil monopoly over all petroleum resources in the now free world, there really is no need for NATO's servant members to have any defence forces at all. It's quite sufficient for all world citizens to continue to pay their subscription and user fees directly to MGH and they can now do so on their CheneyCard.

The MGH hack was right about the A400M eventually entering service, but it's no longer a military aircraft. It's operated on a Halliburton subcontract by VirginAirabiya and there's a Rumsfeld Clause in the contract so the contractors can charge whatever they bloody well want to for providing logistics services to the Free World. It was questioning the legality of this, in his interview with Saint Condoleeza, that earned Sir Jeremy Paxman his 499 year sentence in the Coningsby Re-education Centre. His cellmate, George Galloway who retired as the Chairman Emeritus and Security Advisor of BanglaBimanBMIbeMyBabyTonight, got a mere 199 years for asking about the legality of the 2016 ban on Muslims and swarthy folk travelling by public transport.

The War Against Terror, Saint George's much ridiculed and so unfortunately acronymed job_for_life scheme, turned out to be much more lucrative than his father's equally unwinnable and equally unendable War On Drugs. Where T.W.A.T trumped WOD was in connecting the US oil industry directly into the arms industry and vice-versa. It formed a closed loop which perfectly captures the entire combustion cycle of war/oil/war.

As for the British aviation scene, it's lovely History, that's all.

As for the future of cockpit attendants in warplanes, forget it. They're going to be as useful in aerial combat as fightingmen on horses were in the late 20th century: wonderful spectacle and lots of misty-eyed nostalgia, but somewhat impractical in the 2030s.

brickhistory
17th Aug 2006, 18:31
Wow, somebody get that guy some therapy and strong anti-depressants ASAP!

johnny99
17th Aug 2006, 18:36
What about the future for unmanned journalism – I can see the future where news is generated by some random story algorithm:

Jan - worst winter since last worst winter!

Apr - house prices change since last change (first time buyers find it difficult).

Aug - A level best results since last best results (tests must be getting easier).

Dec – busy time on high street since last busy time.

Makes you wonder if they already have the Beta version!

Sunfish
17th Aug 2006, 22:49
I think this is more likely to happen........

AUGUST 17 2026

At a ceremony at Cranwell today, the RAF takes delivery of its first Spifire Mk27 powered by an 18 litre bio diesel engine. At the same ceremony the last fossil fueled Typhoon jet aircraft was decommissioned.

A member of the graduating class at Cranwell, speaking anonymously, explained that he was thrilled at the prospect of flying a propellor driven aircraft even if it was subsonic, and that he liked the exhausts fish and chip smell.

"We have to get used to living without oil" a defence department spokesman said. "the Navy has made a magnificent transition back to coal fired vessels, employing hundreds of stokers and emptying Britains jails". The Army has also returned to traditional horsedrawn transport with a marked boost in morale among the nations cavalry regiments.

In other news, despite an average temperature of 30 degrees Centigrade last winter, scientists have declared that they are confident of detecting snowfalls in the Alps later this year.

LowObservable
18th Aug 2006, 14:47
If I knew where the UCAV scene was going to be in 20 MONTHS I'd be pulling down 300K as a VP for LockMart...