PDA

View Full Version : JAR eyesight requirements

Executor2001
17th Aug 2006, 11:50
Dear all,

since I suffer from a strong myopia in both eyes (refraction error -9.5 dpt), I would like to know if there is any country in Europe where I can get a JAR Class II medical.

I know the refractive error is supposed to be less than -8.0 dpt at the initial examination. But since my eyesight is corrected to 20/20 in both eyes with glasses, I hoped a possibility would exist somewhere.
As far as I know, there are still differences regarding the implementation of JAA regulations in various countries (could be wrong information).

Take care,

Stefan

Jimmy The Big Greek
17th Aug 2006, 16:44
Well I think that you are ok for a class II if you do it in another country then Germany, France and maybe Belgium.

If you want to increase your chanses of getting a JAA class II medical and also getting the PPL cheaper I suggest you go to the U.S where they do not have any diopter limits and you can even get a First class medical and get Commercial pilot license.

Good luck,

Executor2001
18th Aug 2006, 09:09
Hi Jimmy,

thanks for your reply. From what I have read in the forum, also GB probably wouldn't work. Maybe I'll have to do some research with aviation authorities in some other European countries. It just seems difficult to find the correct person to ask.

As for the US PPL, I actually got one. Like you said, it was no problem getting an FAA First Class medical. Earlier this year I finally got around to actually get the license in Florida. A terrific experience I can warmly recommend to anyone!
To be able to fly in Europe (other than N-reg. planes which seem to be scarce in my region) I would like to convert the license to JAR, but that's not possible without a JAA medical. I'm not sure whether the FAA medical will increase my chances of getting the JAA one...

All the best,

Stefan

IRISHPILOT
18th Aug 2006, 14:06
Hello Stefan, If you hold a current FAA class 1, can't you just do the renewal rather than an initial JAR? That was what I did in Germany pre-JAR.

Try some countries around Germany, you may be lucky... make sure you pay well under GBP100 for the initial class 1 and no more than half that if you only do the renewal (contacts on pprune).

As far as I am aware, you can fly other than N-reg in Europe with an FAA PPL (though those renting them out may have an issue).

Sure, you have already thought about laser eye surgery. Not sure what FAA says, but JAA will suspend the class 1 for a year - though this depends on the authority (can be as little as 3 weeks for the class 1, depending on where you do it...)

sorry of not being specific to the class 2, hope it helps anyway. IP

Jimmy The Big Greek
18th Aug 2006, 17:18
If you do the medical in the U.K with the FAA first class medical and an FAA PPL they will examine you as an renewal case and not Initial.
I am pretty sure that you will not have any problems.