PDA

View Full Version : Moving helicopters by Antonov - advice?

JerryG
17th Aug 2006, 09:50
I'm about to move multiple helicopters at the end of October, by putting them in the hold of an Antonov AN-124. It will be a mixture of Jetrangers and Squirrels. I'd much appreciate any hints and tips from anybody who has done this before.
Cheers
JerryG

chevvron
17th Aug 2006, 16:52
Make sure the Antonov crew pay all their bills before they try to take off. Ensure everyone knows that An124's have a problem with throttle control; open up too quickly and it surges; there is no go-around possibility on arrival, when it commences final approach it's commited to landing; on departure it needs between 5 and 10 minutes lined up on the runway to throttle up to takeoff thrust.

Jack Carson
17th Aug 2006, 19:16
The AN-124's cargo cabin is not pressurized. Make sure all of your aircraft vents are clear or fluids are drained. Your Jet Rangers and Squirrels may belch a little at FL 270.:8

VP8
17th Aug 2006, 20:18
Chevron / Carson

You are wrong on all accounts except one (the engines, yes we need four minutes on the runway to get them upto speed)

The cargo hold is pressurised, go arounds are no problem engine surges only known one or two in my 8 years of working with them.

Jerry G if you want a sensible reply send me a PM and I'll put you in touch with people who can talk sense to you..................We move helicopters all over the world all the time from Jetrangers upto Skycranes and CH47's

VEEPS

Jack Carson
17th Aug 2006, 20:57
I stand corrected. The cargo cabin IS pressurized but to a lower level than would be required to support passengers. Passengers ride in an area segregated from the cargo compartment. We used it to transport S-70's in the 1990's. We had no problems but did follow instructions concerning the aircraft fuel and oil breathers and vents.

VP8
17th Aug 2006, 21:31
Hi Jack

No probs :)

yep the cargo deck is at a lower pressure than the upper crewdeck but as you say there are no problems if choppers prepped as required.

Hopefully we can move them for Jerry!!:ok:

VEEPS

VP8
17th Aug 2006, 23:55
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l288/ANTONOVMAN/9e57116e.jpg

Loading 3 CH47's

VEEPS

Jack Carson
18th Aug 2006, 00:18
Great pic! I believe that we rolled on 5 S-70's. The only issue we had was some minor runway damage at Rentchler Field while waiting for those big Lotarev D-18T turbofans to spool up. Someone may still have the video.
All the Best
Jack

zoomcage
18th Aug 2006, 04:09
Which company are you going to use? The flight crews are the issue.

VP8
18th Aug 2006, 06:45
Zoom

Which company did you have crew problems with and what problems??

VEEPS

Rotor Driver
18th Aug 2006, 08:29
Have a good inventory when you load and check it closely when you offload. We lost thousands of $$ worth of equipment the last time we used an Antonov.

Blackhawk9
18th Aug 2006, 11:49
Jerry, as Rotor Driver said do an inventory of EVERYTHING and I mean EVERYTHING including numbers of tiedown straps, headsets in a/c,toolkits in a/c, etc, unfortunatley all the Helo moves i've been involved with, with AN124's and Ilyushin 76's , if it wasn't bolted down the crew stole it! Seal everything with telltale tape so you can tell what the crew have ratted thru, ensure fuel vents open, cover but don't block pitot/static system, etc, the 206's will just roll in, just tie down blades flat fore/aft and t/rotor blades the t/r blade will clear the roof even vertical, and take blades off AS350 and thats about it, you can fit 6 Blackhawks in a AN124 with the blades folded and t/r blades horizontal so you can fit a sh##load of 206's and AS350s in one, i've prept S70's, AS332's, CH47's ,UH1's , S76's,and 212's for air freight in the Russian a/c and they are great freighters, built in cranes etc which the US C-5 didn't have, an AN124(cargo deck and bay size almost exactly same size as C-5) we loaded years ago had a photo copy of the C-5 loading manual (stolen fron the USAF) with it which had how to load/tie down just about everything in the NATO inventory, so the crew who had not carried Helicopters before just followed the nice simply American instructions, it was very amusing!!

chevvron
18th Aug 2006, 14:17
I know about the surge from experience; first display at Farnborough the left outer surged on takeoff, necessitating an engine change, new engine being flown in by an An22.

Impress to inflate
18th Aug 2006, 17:24
You would be easier to carry the bloody thing there.

JerryG
19th Aug 2006, 20:41
Much appreciate the advice (and PMs) from all, it's extremely helpful. Don't know who's supplying/operating the Antonov yet as it's all going through my client.

Intend sending two engineers on board the aircraft. They claim they're looking forward to it!

How do you avoid grounding the skids as they go up that ramp on a single pair of wheels?

JerryG

TukTuk BoomBoom
19th Aug 2006, 21:29
Like this...

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m290/ahhfletch/uh-1n2.jpg

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m290/ahhfletch/uh-1n.jpg

SASless
19th Aug 2006, 22:09
Building a set of transport skids that replace the actual skids is not that hard....and saves on wear and tear on the skids....lowers the aircraft as well. Put the aircraft on an aluminum pallet and roll the old girls in level to the ramp.

Blackhawk9
20th Aug 2006, 00:17
Two ways to load level , have a semi trailer available at each end of the trip and lift on/off the semi with a crane, the helos can then be pushed straight into/out of the cargo hold, or use the onboard crane and simply lift them in!

vaqueroaero
21st Aug 2006, 22:41
Watched an Antanov take off this morning from K-AFW. Just at the point of rotation there was a loud but dull pop. As they continued climbing there was no exhaust stream from the right hand outboard engine.

It is now parked back where it was on the ramp this morning.

Anyone know anything? Curious minds would like to know...........?

chinook<NL>
26th Aug 2006, 19:50
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l288/ANTONOVMAN/9e57116e.jpg
Loading 3 CH47's
VEEPS
Are these dutch chinooks in Albania??

VP8
26th Aug 2006, 20:32
Yep they are Dutch ones but moved from EIN;)

VEEPS

VP8
26th Aug 2006, 20:33
Watched an Antanov take off this morning from K-AFW. Just at the point of rotation there was a loud but dull pop. As they continued climbing there was no exhaust stream from the right hand outboard engine.
It is now parked back where it was on the ramp this morning.
Anyone know anything? Curious minds would like to know...........?

Pop Surge on Volga Dnepr aircraft. Antonov Design Bureau aircraft in today bringing spare engine in :)

VEEPS

vaqueroaero
26th Aug 2006, 22:54
Thanks VP8 - I've watched with interest the goings on at the airport last week. I was hoping Friday to talk with the mechanics and maybe have a look at the aircraft, but no-one was there. Just my luck.

I saw the Antonov with the spare fly in today. I live right on the approach course to AFW - quite a sight!

VP8
27th Aug 2006, 01:42
vaqueroaero

If you can get airside access to the airport the guys are usually quite accomodating for a visit to the aircraft...

VEEPS

chinook<NL>
27th Aug 2006, 18:07
v8 i think it's Rinas near tirana. i was there too.
if you mean eindhoven with ein, that's not, there are no mountains in holland...
Nice pics

VP8
28th Aug 2006, 16:07
Hi ya Wokka

Yep my fault got wrong flight folder here:} Eindhoven deffo flat!!

Still good crack moving you boys around:ok:

VEEPS

chinook<NL>
28th Aug 2006, 19:03
vp8,
Do you have more off those pics? should be nice! 2 years out of the airforce now but stll miss my little chinooks

VP8
29th Aug 2006, 15:10
Will have a look in my old files Mr Wokkaman:ok:

VEEPS