PDA

View Full Version : Question for A340 drivers (re: live animals)

Snoopy
17th Aug 2006, 04:26
My wife and I will be flying NRT to ZRH with LX. Along with us on our trip home we will have our three dogs and our cockatoo. (And just in case anyone was thinking about starting a thread "Should dogs and cockatoos be allowed in the cabin?" - they won't be!).

My question relates to how our pets will be loaded and what conditions they will endure during the flight.

Where will they be loaded in the hold?
What is generally the temperature for the hold if there are live animals on board?
Is the hold lit or dark?

My last (and facetious) question is: Given that my animals are costing more to fly than I am...will someone serve them them a Bloody Mary half way through the flight (or a pack of boneos and a banana for the bird)? :)

johno617tonka
20th Aug 2006, 13:22
from my experiences your little friends will be relatively comfortable....
they will be located in the 'bulk hold' which is at the back of the aircraft and it is not the same place as the baggage bins or cargo pallets.
unfortunately it is right at the tail of the aircraft and is therefore fairly steep but i'm certain that most loaders would ensure they weren't at the steepest part and therefore won't have their noses up against their cage door all the flight....
they are always adequately watered, but i'm not too sure whether they get fed prior to flight or not! as you appear to have a decent amount of flying to do i would of thought so, but feed them yourself before you go then anything else is a bonus for them... i've never known an animal to reject a second helping!!!!
oh yes and generally speaking the hold light will be 'OFF' so i hope they aren't scared of the dark!
the temperature will be set to keep the hold nice and warm so you have no worries there...
hope this helps
regrards
J6T