PDA

View Full Version : Old Style Flying Clubs

beamer
16th Aug 2006, 17:08
Hi

Just a light hearted question for those in the GA community.

I'd like to find a small flying club with aircraft for hire (preferably something 'interesting') but with an old style sense of fun which seems so lacking in the organisations I've visited recently. You know the sort of place, where instructors fly for fun and don't wander around wearing gold stripes, groundschool is free or at least very inexpensive - the sort of place where you just don't turn up for your lesson and disappear straight after the debrief.
I know that in these cost conscious times, everything has a price but if somewhere still has that atmosphere Id love to know.

Thanks

Kanu
16th Aug 2006, 17:32
Leicestershire Aero Club fits most of the above criteria except the "interesting" aircraft bit... Plenty of interesting Aircraft based there but the aero club fleet consists of 152's, PA28's, 172 & occasionally a piper cub for tail dragger lessons.

I would imagine that most "aero clubs" would fit the bill nicely.

disclaimer: not saying the 152, pa28 and 172 aren't interesting:O

tmmorris
16th Aug 2006, 18:30
Without insider knowledge of lots it's hard to say, but just from the welcome given to visiting pilots and the atmosphere in the clubhouse I'd recommend Shobdon and Seething, at least - the latter in particular made me very welcome and put themselves out for me.

Tim

ormus55
16th Aug 2006, 18:59
ive only visited a few clubs and popham seems the best "club" by far, based on the very nice reception ive gotten there.

it seems from my own experience, that microlight clubs and gliding clubs still retain that old aero clubby type atmosphere.

ive had some very frosty receptions at various so called flying clubs.
you certainly got the impression that unless you owned a newish cutlass or a warrior, you werent welcome.
(and spoke like nigel birdseed!)

Mad Girl
16th Aug 2006, 19:27
I've only been to one other flying club other than my own but from what I can gather on these forums I must be lucky..

Try Old Sarum at Salisbury.

Aircraft - PA28, Cessna - tricycle's & a tail dragger, Arrows, Bulldogs and a Seneca - (apologies to experienced fliers who could tell you if the cessna's were 152's, 172's etc but I don't fly them, so I don't know).

As for the club... I think you'd find it quite hard to find a club that offers you a warmer welcome. I've gone from someone who never even thought of flying, to being a total nut, and all the staff have always been a great help and support. I've seen the welcome they give visiting fliers and new people who just wander into the club.

Really nice place to spend every waking moment when I don't have to be at work...:ok:

ATCO17
16th Aug 2006, 20:05
MG - Hear hear!:ok:

old-timer
16th Aug 2006, 20:45
:)

NAYLAND !

That was always a fun cheap airfield to fly from -only gropu owned though - no hired a/c - haven't been there since the early nineties though - guess it may be different now,

Captain Tony was the owner -great guy -great bunch too - Ted with his cub, Malcolm with his 150, Alvin with his Putzer, the Condor group, the emeraude crew etc...great times, hi guys if anyone reads this...

Capt'n Sensible big DW

Mercenary Pilot
16th Aug 2006, 20:56
Shropshire Aero-club at Sleap is a fantastic club. :ok:

Them thar hills
16th Aug 2006, 21:01
A bit of a contradiction of terms.
Flying groups operate from all sorts of interesting places, usually unlicensed, and generally don't use any sort of Cessna or PA 28 types.
Might involve a bit of footwork to fly some of the proper aeroplanes!
This sounds more like what's required.
Which county ??
TTH

Mike Cross
16th Aug 2006, 22:54
Old Sarum and Popham both good, however Popham does not do ab-initio (except microlights).
172's 150's Aerobats and an AA5 for hire at Popham or join a group.
Details here. (http://www.popham-airfield.co.uk)

OpenCirrus619
17th Aug 2006, 06:53
You could try the Tiger Club (http://www.tigerclub.co.uk).

The aircraft qualify as "something interesting".
The "talking ballast" comes free for check rides.
There's a real club atmosphere (apart from anything else the "armstrong" starting method needs a little teamwork).

OC619

beamer
17th Aug 2006, 08:03
Thankyou for all responses - clearly there is hope out there after all !

I am just re-validated the SEP element of my licence and would like to rediscover something of the atmosphere that used to exist at Sywell some thirty years ago - fun flying and remarkably little bullsh*t................

Whopity
17th Aug 2006, 08:16
Sherwood Flying Club at Tollerton.

kevmusic
17th Aug 2006, 10:05
Echo OC619 re the Tiger Club at Headcorn. What's a Cessna? :p

BroomstickPilot
17th Aug 2006, 10:51
Beamer,

Mad Girl ommitted to mention that at Old Sarum we also have a Bulldog, a Sky Arrow, a Super Cub, some Ikaruses and now a Technam Echo.

I thoroughly concur with her about its club atmosphere. 'Nicest flying club I've ever been a member of.

Broomstick.

Mad Girl
17th Aug 2006, 11:24
Beamer,

Mad Girl ommitted to mention that at Old Sarum we also have a Bulldog, a Sky Arrow, a Super Cub, some Ikaruses and now a Technam Echo.

I thoroughly concur with her about its club atmosphere. 'Nicest flying club I've ever been a member of.

Broomstick.
Oooooh Broomstick.... How could you accuse me of forgetting the Bulldogs considering they were the first light aircraft I'd ever been in????

I'd live in one if I could (preferably upside down) - ask my instructor!!!... And I'm sure you know who he is!!!Aircraft - PA28, Cessna - tricycle's & a tail dragger, Arrows, Bulldogs and a Seneca - (apologies to experienced fliers who could tell you if the cessna's were 152's, 172's etc but I don't fly them, so I don't know).

BroomstickPilot
17th Aug 2006, 11:42
Appologies, Mad Girl, I should have read your post again before I pressed the 'submit reply' button.

We all know you're a dog lover!

Broomstick.

Mad Girl
17th Aug 2006, 11:52
We all know you're a dog lover!
Broomstick.

Woof !!! :ok:

But if you could have arranged the weather better this morning I'd have been in a PA28.

As that didn't work.... How about ordering some sunshine for saturday so that I can bring my dog a bone??

Papa Charlie
17th Aug 2006, 13:33
The Real Flying Company at Shoreham. :ok:
www.realflyingcompany.com/