PDA

View Full Version : Royal Navy sells White Ensign as 'cool' brand

airborne_artist
16th Aug 2006, 08:50
From the Telegraph, 16 Aug 06 (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2006/08/16/nensign16.xml&DCMP=EMC-new_16082006):

The Royal Navy is selling its trademark White Ensign logo to appear on products ranging from clothes to computer games in what it says is an attempt market its "quality brand" to potential young recruits.

The Senior Service hopes that by licensing the use of images, including those of the Royal Marines Commandos, Fleet Air Arm and Submarine Service, on high street merchandise it will raise awareness of the Navy as a career prospect among a target group aged between seven and mid-teens.

Capt Brian Warren, the Navy's publicity director, said yesterday that the marketing exercise was a deliberate attempt to appear "trendy and cool" to a young audience. "If one or two old Navy veterans have their noses put out of joint, then so be it," he said.

Simon Cresswell, IMG's vice-president of licensing ....He predicted that merchandising companies would be keen to have the logo on their products.

"It would appear on packaging and labels, not necessarily emblazoned across the front of T-shirts," he said ''The sort of items we would be looking for include outdoor clothing and footwear or board games and computer software involving strategy and initiative." High-energy drinks could be another market opportunity.

So Ppruners, what product do you think would most benefit from the White Ensign brand, and why? :E

LHtoLT
16th Aug 2006, 09:03
As a man of source bunting trade in the RN, what on earth is going on! You never know it may become the next trend for CHAVS to walk around flying the flag for us! The next Burberry maybe?

South Bound
16th Aug 2006, 09:10
Didn't work for the RAF, had to rebrand itself after it felt that more people associated the RAF roundel with Paul Smith and fashion than the RAF...

airborne_artist
16th Aug 2006, 09:14
I can just see some White Ensign branded cat-o-nine tails going down well with the S&M fraternity:E

angels
16th Aug 2006, 09:31
The report I read in the Metro said that rum was one thing they were looking at.

Dunno why since the navy doesn't dish it out any more.

airborne_artist
16th Aug 2006, 09:46
They'd be competing with a very well known brand that has sneaked the White Ensign onto their label already:

http://www.pussers.com/images/hp_2_banner_rumissue_bt.jpg

LHtoLT
16th Aug 2006, 09:51
Sonot only are they trying to portray the navy as "cool and hip" but full of alcoholics!?! thanks Pusser!

BEagle
16th Aug 2006, 10:01
"The report I read in the Metro said that rum was one thing they were looking at."

What - sort of like this, perhaps?

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a341/nw969/lambs.jpg

Where do the armed forces get these commercially unaware little opportunistic dickheaded ideas from?

Jackonicko
16th Aug 2006, 10:40
I believe that there is a brand of 'extra strength' condom particularly well suited to the rigours of bottom banditry.....

I know, I know, the coat's on and I'm on my way.

angels
16th Aug 2006, 11:42
Lol Jacko - must admit a post along similar lines did cross my mind, but I bottled it.....:}

Vatican69
16th Aug 2006, 13:19
If the RN tried hard it could come up with something THIS fashionable...

http://www.rafmuseum.org.uk/london/eurofighter-trainers/images/advert.jpg

http://www.bodio.co.uk/shop/media/5062000556.jpg

YEAH the RAF "Typhoon" Cross Trainer, all the kiddies would want to be in the Navy then.:ok:

Perhaps we could call it the "Matelot Loafer"

Wader2
16th Aug 2006, 13:31
Fleet of foot perhaps?

Vatican69
16th Aug 2006, 13:38
How is the Typhoon Cross Trainer selling lads??

I can just see all the cool kids on the block wearing them.

"Yo Yo Yo, check out me new Typhoon Trainers innit."

"Man, they is well fly, I is wantin' some."

"Good luck man, I ordered them years ago, they is well late, only got dem this year and they cost a lot more than I thought dey would!!"

Do we really want to attract the kind of people who would be won over by a training shoe???

Strictly Jungly
16th Aug 2006, 13:41
I believe that there is a brand of 'extra strength' condom particularly well suited to the rigours of bottom banditry.....
I know, I know, the coat's on and I'm on my way.

Just right for sorting out errant journos then!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Assume the position Jacko, this will hurt me more than it will hurt you.

Besides, it only hurts the first time......................

BEagle
16th Aug 2006, 13:42
When BWoS deliver them, the left will be 2" longer than the right.

Then Boscombe will want more lace holes and a modified sole.

:hmm:

WhiteOvies
16th Aug 2006, 14:33
BEagle you cynic, only 2" different?

I thought the idea for this started off as a pair of slippers for old aircrew, but the design got changed to reflect a new role as a training shoe. What was asked for was a football boot!:\

WE Branch Fanatic
16th Aug 2006, 15:36
It is a matter of regret that our dumbed down culture, media and education system mean this is necessary.

Is this just PR, our could it generate some income? What products or services might be suitable? Any ideas? Sensible or otherwise?

PompeySailor
16th Aug 2006, 21:56
Oh God.....another PR masterstroke. I doubt if they have carried out any market research (well, outside of the clubs and private schools anyway), and this is destined to die a quiet death. Considering we spent lots and lots of £ letting a design company redesign the flag, when they could have paid my 11 year old to do the same job, don't hold your breath for anything half decent to come out of this.

Still, perhaps the Gay Pride rallies might be a starting point for merchandise, once they have sold out of the Paul Smith t-shirts...! How they plan on stopping the RN logo appearing at rallies, etc, that they consider unsuitable, I don't know - it took them long enough to let guys march in uniform at the Pride marches, can you imagine if the ensign turns up at a BNP rally?

I can see the RM logo doing well on some stuff as Capt Warren says, but are you really going to want a White Ensign on the back of your boxers?

tablet_eraser
16th Aug 2006, 23:39
I fear the RN is going to regret this in the same way as the RAF did with Lambretta, Ben Sherman, Next and Paul Smith. The roundel is no longer associated with the RAF in the minds of young people; indeed, I'm sure the new RAF logo simply makes them think we're sponsored by such a company!

Does the RN really think that it can increase recruiting by devaluing its most recongisable symbol? This will either be an expensive flash-in-the-plan, or a long-term decline in the White Ensign's status as a unique symbol of the RN.

The only way for us to make sure young people are aware of the Forces is to do what every other country on the planet does, and teach them at school about what we do for the country and the world.

Navaleye
17th Aug 2006, 00:09
What on earth is the point of spending money creating a brand for an outfit that doesn't sell anything? Is anyone you know going to ask for "RN Brand" socks or shorts or shoes? They would be better off spending the money making the relevant websites more informative and less clunky. :ugh:

Pontius Navigator
17th Aug 2006, 06:23
Yup, the Queens Head on a stamp means Great Britain and Northern Ireland, Roundels on aircraft means Royal Air Force, White or Red Ensigns mean Royal or British Merchant Navy. These are all quality marks that need no embellishment.

Union flags on thongs means loose. White ensigns on underpants means very loose. And of course the Army has commandoes so no sale there.

Roundels on rucksacks means target. Even the RAF does not put roundels on DMP but uses the more muted stable belt colours.

Hmmph

Mind you, did we bring this on ourselves? I only approved buying a squadron tie when on the sqn or presented with one or wearing a sqn badge once I was qualified. Selling badges to all and sundry at air shows or open days just served to debase the sqn brand and we did that years ago.
Blimp

Colonel

MrBernoulli
17th Aug 2006, 09:47
Can't see the point of a cross trainer shoe at all. The 'yoof' of today are generally a bunch of lardy-arsed couch potatoes with an extremely limited vocabulary. They couldn't spell 'cross trainer' never mind find a use for them!

Fg Off Max Stout
17th Aug 2006, 10:28
Someone in Whitehall has lost the plot and forgotten that the Armed Forces are military organizations and not commercial enterprises. Has everyone with any common sense at senior levels of MoD been replaced with marketing directors, PR gurus and corporate comms execs?

The sad fact is that your average civvy probably sees the roundel or Ensign as being about as fashionable as a second-hand DynoRod polo shirt. The RAF got a boot up the arse when they tried to copyright the roundel last year because it's been used to sell Lambrettas and parkas for about 40 years already. Despite that wake up call, they released the Typhoid Trainers shown above which are blatantly about as cool as calculus in the eyes of the target audience.

As for the fish-heads, their marketing monkey obviously knows so little about the RN that he's never heard of Lamb's Navy Rum (which has existed for 157 years longer than his job has), et al. Perhaps instead they can design a White Ensign hoodie to go with the Typhoid Cross Trainers and maybe a British Army knuckleduster to complete the ensemble, for all your happy slapping needs. What great sellers they are sure to be.

FFS. Whichever muppet came up with this idea needs to be sent to an operational theatre and experience what it is like to be shot at (and not necessarily missed). Maybe then he would focus on what the forces are really about.

If money really is so tight that it is necessary to whore out our identity to the masses (as the once respectable Burberry did) in return for small change to buy fuel for ships, windows for chinooks or desert boots for pongos, then the British Forces are a rapidly sinking ship.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/bofns/chavs-6.jpg

foldingwings
17th Aug 2006, 10:38
Although he was too polite to say that it was a ****ing stupid idea, the erstwhile 1st Sea Lord (Sir Alan West) was somewhat dismissive of the notion of marketing the White Ensign, when he was interviewed on 'PM' (Radio 4) yesterday evening. Amusingly, he likened it to the condoms he saw advertised once on a visit to Japan - Admiral Condoms; they came (no pun intended) with 4 gold stripes!:O

FW

Winco
17th Aug 2006, 10:40
You guys think you've got it bad (and I agree with you) but did you know that the RAF have now sold their souls to an American company??
I understand that all RAF 'corporate' products are now the responsibility and licenced by a US company called 'kids4entertainment' (or something like that.

Max, as you say Someone in Whitehall has lost the plot and forgotten that the Armed Forces are military organizations and not commercial enterprise, and no one has any common sense at senior levels of MoD anymore.

The Winco

FAAjon
17th Aug 2006, 10:45
Dont think anyone has put this link on their post, but heres the Royal Navy Hooded Sweatshirt - Navy Blue

http://www.navynewscatalogue.co.uk/acatalog/rn_hoody.html

Fg Off Max Stout
17th Aug 2006, 11:03
http://www.rafmuseum.org.uk/london/eurofighter-trainers/images/advert.jpg

Still good PR for the RAF when caked in dog sh1t? How about when featured on crimewatch as the only identifiable feature of some scummer seen hot-footing it from an offy with a Royal Navy hoodie full of freshly knicked Rizzlas, White Lightning and glue?

If the marketing bloke was hoping for good PR, I don't think he's going to see any victorious Olympic athletes wearing these.

airborne_artist
17th Aug 2006, 11:10
Admiral Condoms; they came (no pun intended) with 4 gold stripes!

Please Sir - four gold stripes is for a Captain RN :E

Rocket2
17th Aug 2006, 12:03
Admiral Condoms; they came (no pun intended) with 4 gold stripes! Please Sir - four gold stripes is for a Captain RN
Bit of a cum down isn't it?...:\
I'm off

althenick
17th Aug 2006, 22:29
I wonder who will vet these companies which wish to use the RN Logo. Sounds like a good job for a retired officer to me. Just imagine A company in Japan wants to use the logo on its cars. Off goes Rear Adm such-and-such (Rtd) on an all exies paid tour of the best Bars/brothels in downtown Tokyo. Sounds good to me. :ok:

Archimedes
17th Aug 2006, 23:34
You guys think you've got it bad (and I agree with you) but did you know that the RAF have now sold their souls to an American company??
I understand that all RAF 'corporate' products are now the responsibility and licenced by a US company called 'kids4entertainment' (or something like that.

We had a thread on this some time ago (I may even have started the thing, I forget), when it became clear that the responsibility for licensing the RAF brand had been awarded to the company that markets the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

AIUI, the licence applies to everything other than clothing, although I daresay that the licencing company won't try to charge The Who for using the roundel either. The projected product range was:

4Kids plans to launch the initial product line in early 2006, including luggage, tools, men's gift and publishing - with toys, apparel and accessories following later in 2006.

Mmmm. 'Early 2006', yet no mention of the actual products having been released. So they've even gone to the trouble of making sure that the kit is late. That's attention to detail, eh?

sixbarrelldiplomat
21st Aug 2006, 15:08
[quote=airborne_artist]From the Telegraph, 16 Aug 06 (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2006/08/16/nensign16.xml&DCMP=EMC-new_16082006):

Capt Brian Warren, the Navy's publicity director, said yesterday that the marketing exercise was a deliberate attempt to appear "trendy and cool" to a young audience. "If one or two old Navy veterans have their noses put out of joint, then so be it," he said.

I always think that when the words 'trendy and cool' are uttered, it's normally by a middle aged bloke with no idea what they are talking about, and I've no reason to suspect my logic is wrong this time.

BEagle
21st Aug 2006, 15:13
Surprised he didn't say "We think it'll be really groovy. The kids will really dig our fab, MoD gear, man!"....:rolleyes:

Skunkerama
21st Aug 2006, 15:44
Excactly what the hell is the Royal Marine brand going to be used for? Were best known for getting drunk and naked, can't see much clothing to be branded there.

Maybe they will market a range of Kitchen knives with the commando dagger motif on them.

We've already got a brand of cigarrettes called Royals. Maybe the Navy could start a cigarrette brand ............called fags.

WhiteOvies
21st Aug 2006, 15:50
Without biting too hard, whatever happened to Navy Cut? Sure they had something matelot related as a brand.

Pontius Navigator
21st Aug 2006, 16:17
Read one old boy's comment in the papers.

"What the badge, pass the course."

My feelings exactly.

Saw someone yesterday with a big red/white/blue circle on left tit. Sorry I meant chest, he looked a tit.

TWOL8
21st Aug 2006, 21:50
Read one old boy's comment in the papers.

"What the badge, pass the course."

My feelings exactly.

Saw someone yesterday with a big red/white/blue circle on left tit. Sorry I meant chest, he looked a tit.

Pontius, once again the RAF was caught sleeping. They had plenty of opportunity to secure the brand but chose not to.... that is until it was too late, instead they wasted a ridiculus amount of money in court challenging a decision they would never win. Too little far too late... a common problem.
I also think you'll find it's "Want the badge" not "What the badge".. ....Spell check doesn't pick up everthing suggest you pay a bit more attention!!!!!!!:} :} :}