View Full Version : CanJet requirements

FlyinLow
16th Aug 2006, 06:08
I was browsing Canjet website for jobs, I found this:

Position: FIRST OFFICERS (Short List)
Date Posted: 20060426
Posting Number: CJ205
Description: First Officer:

* Must have Airline Transport Pilot License with a minimum of 5000 hours of total flying time
* Must have Radio Operator’s Certificate
* Multi-engine turbine/jet experience an asset
* Strong communication and interpersonal skills
* Ability to perform effectively as a member of a team
* Must be able to successfully pass Transport Canada Medical
* Must have or have the ability to obtain a valid passport
* Must have or have the ability to obtain Transportation Security Clearance (Restricted Area Pass)

5000 hours???? for F/O what are these guys smoking. What do they mean by 'short list'.

Lear45XR
16th Aug 2006, 13:23
Hi!,

5000TT may seem like a lot of time (and it is) but their philosophy is to hire someone with the potential (enough hours) to move into the left seat at any given time. For many reasons smaller companies don't always have the luxury of hiring pilots that cannot rapidly move into the left seat.

Let's say you have 40 pilots (4 aircrafts) with a 25/15 Capt/FO ratio.
Now you decide to increase the fleet size by adding two airplanes within the next 6 months and you're looking for 10 or 12 new Captains. (6 aircrafts) (35/25) (and we're not talking about the Captain that broke his leg during a ski trip and the other 5 that have decided to go live in the sand box or in Chinatown)

If you can't upgrade guys from your own seniority list and hire off the street you're gonna have to deal with a lot of pi***d off FOs. (been there, seen it). So you hire pilots with the potential to become Captains anywhere down the road. Hopefully keeping most people happy and continue to make money...

You can always send two Captains to Moncton, but two FOs...

Short list???

Cheers!

nolimitholdem
17th Aug 2006, 01:08
My advice would be to stay away. Of the people they've offered jobs half have turned them down. Plus they hired direct-entry captains that were no more qualified than many already working there. 30k/3year training bond. Union shop now but no contract in place. Lots of guys looking to get out.

I gave them a look but where there's smoke...

Lots of better opportunities out there these days thanks!

:ok:

GreatCircle
17th Aug 2006, 13:38
My advice would be to stay away. Of the people they've offered jobs half have turned them down. Plus they hired direct-entry captains that were no more qualified than many already working there. 30k/3year training bond. Union shop now but no contract in place. Lots of guys looking to get out.

I gave them a look but where there's smoke...

Lots of better opportunities out there these days thanks!

:ok:

No limit's got it right. Place seems like a bit of a zoo at the minute, and a couple of 73 jocks I know, are gagging to get out.

For some reason, the management don't seem to get it - it's true of the jobs offered, I had heard 60% turned it down - but 50% is plenty bad enough, with good numbers of solid drivers on the market, is a startling statistic.

Eventually, like most other places, the management will realize the error of their short-term views, and think about the staff who given them loyalty.

It is not a one-way street...but it is also true as other contributors have pointed out - the commercial and other pressures faced by smaller carriers are such they have to act in seemingly unconventional ways just to survive...

PPRuNeUser0199
17th Aug 2006, 16:09
CanJet could be a great place to fly. The front line people are good people. The problem is they need a complete management change in the worst way.
They just have not figured out that there are others hiring and people can only take being treated like crap for so long.
Non stop stories and very unfortunate.

nolimitholdem
17th Aug 2006, 19:57
If I didn't make it clear my post was in no way a slam to the pilots at CanJet. From all accounts top-notch drivers and expressed well by "COULD be a great place to fly". And obviously it would be a great stepping stone from a turboprop job. However, in order to attract the type of experience they advertise they want...the money just isn't there. A good Metro or King Air job has competitive pay! (And will probably include dental!) :ugh:

When Westjet FO's make more than CanJet captains to fly essentially the same equipment it makes ya wonder!

GreatCircle
17th Aug 2006, 20:05
If I didn't make it clear my post was in no way a slam to the pilots at CanJet. From all accounts top-notch drivers and expressed well by "COULD be a great place to fly". And obviously it would be a great stepping stone from a turboprop job. However, in order to attract the type of experience they advertise they want...the money just isn't there. A good Metro or King Air job has competitive pay! (And will probably include dental!) :ugh:

When Westjet FO's make more than CanJet captains to fly essentially the same equipment it makes ya wonder!

You're right man - some good operators in Canjet land, who deserve better. The "bennies" package is threadbare - but then, there will also be those who will put up with it all to get the jet time, as well as the bonding requs, and crap rotations.

At the end of the day, we all know, the Canjet door will be revolving quickly with out-goers and in-comers...with no stability or continuity. Shame.

cameltrader
4th Sep 2006, 13:57
Be careful with this crowd!
If you decide to leave..... you'll get stabbed in the back. The Flightops guys are somewhat vengeful.

:ouch:

Slapshot
5th Sep 2006, 13:59
CanJet to Discontinue Scheduled Air Services

HALIFAX, Sept. 5 /CNW/ - CanJet Airlines, a division of I.M.P. Group
Limited, regretfully announces that it will discontinue scheduled air services
at the end of business September 10, 2006. I.M.P. wishes to thank its loyal
customers, employees and suppliers for their support and will work to minimize
the impact of this decision.
Mr. Ken Rowe, I.M.P. Chairman and CEO, said, "with the rising business
risks of operating a scheduled airline, I.M.P. has decided to suspend
year-round scheduled airline service and focus on their increasing charter
business."
CanJet will be offering alternate suitable travel arrangements for anyone
booked on their flights after September 10th or fully refunding their tickets.
Many of the affected employees will be offered positions in I.M.P.'s
expanding general aviation, aerospace or other business units.

CanJet Airlines is a division of I.M.P. Group Limited, a privately-owned
diversified group of companies headquartered in Halifax, Nova Scotia, with
extensive interests in aerospace, aviation, manufacturing, healthcare,
industrial marine products, and hotels. I.M.P. Group was honoured as one of
the "Top 50 Best Managed Companies in Canada" in 2003, 2004, and 2005.

GreatCircle
9th Sep 2006, 20:37
Be careful with this crowd!
If you decide to leave..... you'll get stabbed in the back. The Flightops guys are somewhat vengeful.

No probs now - the vengeful flight ops guys have all had their bad karma repaid...and are now hunting for jobs like most of Canjet....

Ken Rowe's best managed company accolade @ IMP obviously didn't include Canjet management...and KR obviously sanctioned the false recruitment drive....is he a long lost brother of Michel Leblanc ?

cameltrader
9th Sep 2006, 20:49
The Flt Ops guys that I've referred to are MZ, MM & JM. Those guys didn't take me leaving very kindly! Are they out of their jobs with the rest of the crowd?

... what goes around, comes around imo.

PPRuNeUser0199
9th Sep 2006, 21:00
The Flt Ops guys that I've referred to are MZ, MM & JM. Those guys didn't take me leaving very kindly! Are they out of their jobs with the rest of the crowd?

... what goes around, comes around imo.

Ya those are a few of the CLASSLESS acts at CanJet.
I believe they and five other pilots have kept their jobs for the time being.
They have some charter obligations till early december to deal with and then :rolleyes: .

sec 3
9th Sep 2006, 21:16
AAAh yes,the Zee Man! Does he have ANY hair left?:} Did Schwarzenegger get to keep his gig ?

GreatCircle
10th Sep 2006, 14:09
CJA drivers - last day of scheduled ops for the 73s - and we're all behind you. Ken Rowe and his idiot daughter, along with incompetent managers have a lot to answer for...

Still looking to see if any WJA honchos are willing to stick their necks out to offer 73 type rated drivers preferential interviews...

Roadbiker....got a view on this ?

roadbiker
10th Sep 2006, 20:53
CJA drivers - last day of scheduled ops for the 73s - and we're all behind you. Ken Rowe and his idiot daughter, along with incompetent managers have a lot to answer for...

Still looking to see if any WJA honchos are willing to stick their necks out to offer 73 type rated drivers preferential interviews...

Roadbiker....got a view on this ?

Well, I'm not quite a "honcho", being merely a 3 yr f/o. I'd imagine their resumes are being perused a little closer and Jonny D made some good points, though I'd substitute YYZ for YHZ as being the more realistic port option (especially since YYZ is opening up for Oct!)

Regardless, having been laid off 3 times (G.C. will understand) I feel for you CJers. Best of luck getting back on your feet.

cameltrader
21st Sep 2006, 23:59
The following was posted by Kandoo from another forum (Av Canada) :

Maybe mentioning names was a bit over the line. You could say " if incompetence came in buckets there is enough in Canjet Management to fill a pool."

:D