PDA

View Full Version : ppl training in the usa.

ormus55
16th Aug 2006, 00:53
any advice on a ppl training package in the usa? florida?
recommended generally or not?
any specific schools to recommend/avoid?

i looked into it many yrs ago, but never did it. but the opportunity might arise again soon.
i have searched pprune. cant find anything recent.

Signor Frog
16th Aug 2006, 00:59
After several UK start stop attempts at the PPL, i bought the bullet this year and went to OFT in Florida and passed. Recommend the school, however:

Top tip: do the ground school before you go unless you've got a 'minimum' of 3 weeks on your hands.

Remember the weather isn't always perfect, build in some cloudy day time to your trip.

The VIP packages (2weeks PPL) DON'T WORK VERY WELL! I saw several people looking very disappointed by it all.

Good luck

SF :ok:

ormus55
16th Aug 2006, 08:16
congratulations.

i also have had start/stop attempts here in the uk.
yes OFT was one of the schools i was looking at. the 3 week package. time isnt really a problem for me.
but money is!!!

in any event, i would be doing lots of studying before starting.

thx for the reply.

Just a spotter
16th Aug 2006, 15:55
folks

are there any visa requirements to take a PPL in the US or can you undertake one within the terms of a standard Visa Waiver (EU Citizen)visit?

JAS

mcgoo
16th Aug 2006, 15:59
you need a visa for all flight training, you can use the visa waiver only for hour building

Just a spotter
18th Aug 2006, 14:15
you need a visa for all flight training, you can use the visa waiver only for hour building

Thanks mcgoo!

JAS :ok:

Slopey
18th Aug 2006, 15:21
any advice on a ppl training package in the usa? florida?
recommended generally or not?
any specific schools to recommend/avoid?

i looked into it many yrs ago, but never did it. but the opportunity might arise again soon.
i have searched pprune. cant find anything recent.

I went to OBA,and had a great time. Get as many exams done as you can before you go - and I'd recommend getting a couple of hours in at your local club before hand. :)

Any questions about OBA, pm me.

Cheers,
S.

cirrus G2 driver
19th Aug 2006, 11:03
Hi i fly out of winter haven flight school about 20 min drive from orlando very nice and relaxed place great fun to fly hope that helps

Ian_Wannabe
19th Aug 2006, 19:40
Hey - I went to a school on the west coast in San Diego that I would not recommend. However you have to remember that I went about 4 years ago so it MAY have changed since... but I do believe the owner is the same so you might wanna ask someone who's been there recently.

So I dont upset the mods with name dropping and all that PM if you wish to get the name.

My reasons for not liking this place basically hung on the fact that my booked slots were given away to pilots coming in off the street looking for a few hours here and there to hour build... i.e they pay more for the hour than I did as I paid in small installments.

But as far as flying in that area goes it was brilliant. I flew from Gillespie airfield and you have good busy air traffic to deal with so you pick up your RT pretty quickly. The west coast is less prone to those nasty florida thunderstorms too however the only weather problem I encountered was haze during the mornings, but once the sun came round it burned through and all was fine.

I'll also echo whats been said about getting your ground exams out of the way, do ones like Human factors, principles of flight etc first as they're quite easy. I always thought that doing the navigation and law etc were easier once you'd been up for a few lessons as you have first hand experience.

Personally, I found the 4 weeks really really intense with having to study for your ground exams too. Flying for 4 hours a day takes it out of you and you really dont want to have to read through the technical book after a long day!!

Hope this helps - Good luck with whatever you decide

Ian

pumuckl
20th Aug 2006, 08:21
I have posted my experience here (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?p=2788265#post2788265)

Hope it helps.

Cheers
p. :ok:

ingagara
29th Aug 2006, 17:02
Hey guys, I've had a look at the Orlando flight training website and the total cost for a frozen ATPL is 26495 pounds. Even with unexpected expenses it's still half the price of European flight schools (CTC,OAT,JEREZ).

1. Why is it so cheap? Looks suspicious....(unless all the other training centres just milk you for everything)

2. Has anyone done their ATPL course? Looks quite hectic.

Just looking at it, they say 150hrs flight time in 60 days. I've done RAF Elementary Flying Training, 60hrs, which is quite hectic and is usually done in 3-4 months. Anything less than that would be insanely intense learning-wise.

Just a spotter
31st Aug 2006, 11:54
Guys

those of you who have, or are planning to do training in the US, are/did you do your medical before travelling or once you get there?

JAS

Slopey
31st Aug 2006, 12:27
If you're looking to fly professionally in the future - get a Class 1 now before you spend loads of cash to find out you'll fail the medical.

You can get your Class 2 before or after, again, if you have any medical issues, before is better in case you don't pass.

When you're out there, you still need to do a FAA Class 2 medical to be allowed to go solo, but that basically involves peeing into a cup and having your hands pulled by an MD - no ECG/bloods/etc.