PDA

View Full Version : Stamp On the Brakes

Alpine Tony
15th Aug 2006, 21:38
Just curious, but have you ever been tempted to, just as you pull up to the stand, "stamp in the the brakes" so to speak to catch out all those muppits who have already taken of thier seat belts and got up to get thier bottles out of the overheads?:ugh:

Chesty Morgan
15th Aug 2006, 21:41
Once or twice yes:}

piton
15th Aug 2006, 21:44
Not just been tempted ..... :ok:
Not actually "stamped" but I've braked fairly sharply on several occasions during taxi if I could hear the purser use the PA to ask pax to remain seated while we were taxiing:}
The cabin crew really appreciate it and it put a smile on my face too when I heard afterwards that some pax sat down sharpish!
....if you do what you are told you won't get hurt ;)

Final 3 Greens
16th Aug 2006, 07:09
We arrived at LHR the other week and our aircraft had to do the equivalent of an emergency stop on the taxiway.

Everyone was sitting down, but there were a few white faces afterwards.

Hopefully a few more pax now realize why the procedures are in place.

As a FQTV, I experience this occurence rarely, but the memory keeps me firmly in seat until the sign goes off.

BEagle
16th Aug 2006, 07:50
A late friend,ex-Gulf Air, told me that he had become so fed up with the 'locals' standing up and removing luggage from the overheads before the aircraft had been parked, that he once did precisely what you suggested. Taxying in, he braked firmly and there was an avalanche of white robes and luggage in the back.

I did the same thing taxying a VC10K once. There is no PA in the K2 or K3 and it was clear that the groundcrew were milling about in the back as we taxyed along. "Step on the brakes", I asked the co-pilot. "Huh?" "OK - I have control......stomp". Bowled the buggers over - we nicknamed the manoeuvre 'groundcrew skittles' and warned them that they either sat down or faced a charge. Their choice.......

No doubt some huggy-fluffy Health and Stupidity ruling would say that I'd interfered with the groundcrew's civil liberties...... Tough. SIT DOWN!!

BOAC
16th Aug 2006, 07:59
Always worth remembering your cabin crew who may be standing trying to get a muppet to sit down.:mad:

spekesoftly
16th Aug 2006, 08:29
Whilst I can understand the temptation, I would hope that no professional pilot would pull such a stunt. To deliberately risk injuring your passengers or cabin crew is even more stupid than the offending pax.

BEagle
16th Aug 2006, 09:42
No sympathy - if they disobey a lawful order then they deserve all they get.

Of course one would check with the cabin staff if, for example as happened recently to me at FRA, the jet was made to stop for a while off the gate and all the lemmings started to unbuckle and grab their luggage.

I liked the story of a VS PA of some years ago. It went along the lines of "We have had difficulty with cabin cleaning staff at this airport, so anyone who wishes to volunteer to help us clean up the cabin can indicate this by standing up before the seat belt signs are switched off......" Funnily enough, no-one did!

spekesoftly
16th Aug 2006, 09:56
No sympathy - if they disobey a lawful order then they deserve all they get.

Including the 'innocent' passengers that have remained seated, but still get hit by flying luggage? Or, as BOAC rightly points out, Cabin Crew that are simply carrying out their lawful duties? :hmm:

Recklessly running the risk of injuring people, just to prove a point, is not the example I would expect from a professional. Yes some passengers' behaviour is often reprehensible, but let's not sink to the lowest common denominator.

Final 3 Greens
16th Aug 2006, 10:16
Yes some passengers' behaviour is often reprehensible, but let's not sink to the lowest common denominator.

I quite agree.

Sometimes the FAs could do more - I saw a magnificent intervention from an AF purser last year.

She really imposed her authority on the miscreants :D

Getoutofmygalley
16th Aug 2006, 11:12
Yes some passengers' behaviour is often reprehensible, but let's not sink to the lowest common denominator.

I quite agree.

Sometimes the FAs could do more - I saw a magnificent intervention from an AF purser last year.

She really imposed her authority on the miscreants :D

But what more can the FA's do?

Recently I was purser on a flight to PRG and one of the pax, a young female b*tch got up to try and use the toilet 3 times during taxiing after landing. I was barking at her down the PA, my cabin crew at the rear were barking at her to sit down - so what more can I do? The Captain heard my 3 *ahem* requests to her to sit down and he made a PA, but if a pax is determined to move around what can I do? I am not allowed to physically restrain her.

So F3G what would you have done in this situation with a pax who thinks she is above the rules apart from have airport Police meet the aircraft?

Final 3 Greens
16th Aug 2006, 11:23
GOMG

Note that I said "sometimes."

In my opinion you couldn't do any more than you did and she deserved to be met by the police, although what action they would take is another matter.

The worst thing I saw recently (3 weeks ago) was a young female pax telling the purser to f**k off"when he asked her to raise the sunblind for takeoff.

Apparently the sun was shining in her face.

I give the purser 10/10 for informing her that she would be offloaded and met by the airport police if she did not comply in 5 seconds.

You would be surprised by how many of us pax are on your side and will support you when you take this type of action, since we realize that the ANO and your SOPs are for our safety, which is eroded if people choose not to comply.

Finally please note that I used a positive example in my previous post, I was not attacking most FAs, who do a professional ljob.

TightSlot
16th Aug 2006, 11:27
Always worth remembering your cabin crew who may be standing trying to get a muppet to sit down.:mad:

Thanks BOAC - it's nice to feel loved ;)

Globaliser
16th Aug 2006, 11:57
Would it be more effective to hold 10 feet short, and refuse to park the aircraft until everyone has re-stowed their baggage and sat down again?

In fact, if it were SOP ...

Glasgow_Flyer
16th Aug 2006, 12:35
I was on a Ryanair flight to Wraclaw last week - as soon as the a/c slowed down to about taxi speed (whilst still on the r/w) a woman got up and opened her locker - she was quickly asked to sit down.

Then, whist taxing, I kid you not - about 30 folk got up and started putting on jackets, opening lockers - even starting to walk to the exit!! The senior c/c was screaming down the mic and the 3 others were up trying to get them all to sit down - slamming lockers shut etc.

I put it down to a) laungage barrier (them all being Polish - although most Polish folk have perfect English)
b) a new Ryanair route - so quite possibly a lot of them were new to flying
c) "Plane" stupidity!

I'm quite glad the crew didn't touch on the breaks or I may have ended up with a polish bloke ontop of me - unless, of course, the pilot could have timed it do one of the FA's landed in my arms...

Seriously though - total idiots man. There was a video clip floating about on of the threads about a month ago showing just what could happen to all these idiots that take there belt off as soon as they are down (a part from anything else - do folk really think the belt is going to be of more use when the a/c is airborne and on final?!).

gorgeous spotter
16th Aug 2006, 17:42
GOMG

Note that I said "sometimes."

In my opinion you couldn't do any more than you did and she deserved to be met by the police, although what action they would take is another matter.

The worst thing I saw recently (3 weeks ago) was a young female pax telling the purser to f**k off"when he asked her to raise the sunblind for takeoff.

Apparently the sun was shining in her face.

I give the purser 10/10 for informing her that she would be offloaded and met by the airport police if she did not comply in 5 seconds.

You would be surprised by how many of us pax are on your side and will support you when you take this type of action, since we realize that the ANO and your SOPs are for our safety, which is eroded if people choose not to comply.

Finally please note that I used a positive example in my previous post, I was not attacking most FAs, who do a professional ljob.

FG3, cannot believe that she was not arrested on landing anyhow. Dislike anyone being told to "f..k off" but a purser, just doing their job,thats not on. I'm from the old school where manners are everything, and I would consider it rude to ignore seat belt signs etc, its just manners to stay seated until the seat belt sign goes off, on both take off and landing. Even when at the front in Club or seats with extra legroom its amazing how many people have already assembled themselves and crash right past you to get off the plane - whats the rush? If people had a little more patience the world would be a better place (and we wouldn't be annoying cabin and flight crew). Chances are the flight deck may or may not be glad of a bit of breath of fresh air and that would be the chance on landing to approach flight deck to have a quick nosy, flight deck may be glad of some other company than themselves, you never know! One things for sure that particular purser would have felt stung the whole of that flight and the woman was way out of order to say that.

Gorgeous

computer jockey
16th Aug 2006, 18:49
A bit of dry humour from the flight deck often helps as well...

I always remember the Captain coming on the PA as we taxiied to our stand at LGW after a flight from EDI a few years ago:

"Ladies and Gentlemen, the brakes on this aircraft are extremely efficient. Should we need to use them and you are not in your seat with your seat belt fastened, you will proceed down the aircraft, pass between myself and the First Officer, out of the front of the plane and will arrive in the terminal considerably before the rest of us. However, you will be in no condition to reclaim your luggage or catch your next flight."

Raised a few chuckles, but nobody moved until the signs went out.

Final 3 Greens
17th Aug 2006, 08:25
Hi Gorgeous

It was disgraceful, but I got the impression that the purser was happy to get on with his job once sanity was restored.

He had made his point very clearly.

However, the captain did come out of the FD and have words with the passenger on arrival and although I did not hear what was said, the body language suggested that she was backing up her CC member to the hilt, which is quite right and good leadership.

apaddyinuk
17th Aug 2006, 10:46
I know a pilot in EI who once or twice actually stopped the plane and shut down the engines and told the passengers that he would not call for a tug to pull them onto stand until all passengers sat down, strapped in and remained such for the rest of the taxi!!!!!

PAXboy
17th Aug 2006, 12:02
Glasgow Flyer's comment about a video circulating of what happens if the a/c has to stop shrpish - makes me think that we should have an official video showing this kind of information when in the departure lounge.

Folks are sitting around doing little and many airports have advertising $hit on the screens. Perhaps we could have examples of what happens if you don't stay in your seat. This could also cover the reasons for "Keep your seat belt lightly fastened at all times, in case we meet unexpected turbulence" as well as taxying.

Fernando_Covas
19th Aug 2006, 17:32
Was it the video of an A320 being taken from behind by a DC9?

*coat, hat.......*

SXB
19th Aug 2006, 22:18
For those not happy with a pilot performing an unnecessary emergency stop it could be argued that they are just duplicating something that they may need to do at any time, it might be worthwhile for some passengers to see what happens in an emergency stop though, obviously, not good for those following the rules and being hit by a laptop while strapped into their seat, same for CC.

With regard to the disgraceful incident where the purser of an AF flight was told to f*ck off because a pax didn't want to close the window blind I would like to see such passengers banned from flying with that particular airline. Though the unpleasant individual in question is a fare paying pax there is a line of civility that most of us observe.

Out of interest can anyone tell me why window blinds have to be raised on take off and landing ?

gorgeous spotter
19th Aug 2006, 22:44
For those not happy with a pilot performing an unnecessary emergency stop it could be argued that they are just duplicating something that they may need to do at any time, it might be worthwhile for some passengers to see what happens in an emergency stop though, obviously, not good for those following the rules and being hit by a laptop while strapped into their seat, same for CC.

With regard to the disgraceful incident where the purser of an AF flight was told to f*ck off because a pax didn't want to close the window blind I would like to see such passengers banned from flying with that particular airline. Though the unpleasant individual in question is a fare paying pax there is a line of civility that most of us observe.

Out of interest can anyone tell me why window blinds have to be raised on take off and landing ?

SXB, The blinds have to be up on both take off and landing so that its is better visibility both inside and outside of the aircraft. In the event of an emergency a team outside can assess whats happening inside the plane and take appropriate action etc etc. Hope this makes sense.

Gorgeous

Final 3 Greens
20th Aug 2006, 05:49
With regard to the disgraceful incident where the purser of an AF flight was told to f*ck off because a pax didn't want to close the window blind I would like to see such passengers banned from flying with that particular airline.

SXB it wasn't Air France, although it was a flight to Paris.

The AF purser I mentioned earlier in the thread dealt with some Asian pax who were standing up in the aisle during the post landing taxi at CDG., following which all were seated again :D In this instance they all followed the instructions without argument or any apparent attitude.

SXB
20th Aug 2006, 22:55
Gorgeous
Many thanks for the explanation, makes perfect sense.

F3G, thanks for the clarification, memory isn't what it used to be:) I still think the person in question should have been banned from that particular airline

flybywire
21st Aug 2006, 18:04
SXB, The blinds have to be up on both take off and landing so that its is better visibility both inside and outside of the aircraft. In the event of an emergency a team outside can assess whats happening inside the plane and take appropriate action etc etc. Hope this makes sense.

Gorgeous

Absolutely correct, however this is not every carrier's procedure.

So SXB do not be surprised if you fly with some airlines and the crew don't ask pax to pull the blinds up.
It is mandatory though that cabin crew and pax emergency exits window blinds are up for take off and landing. Especially where there are self-help exits it is important that the passengers seated near them can see what is happening outside in case of an emergency - for example if an engine is on fire then they must not open that exit. It is also important for us in case they noticed something wrong with the engines for example after take off, when we are still in our seats and cannot look out in the middle of the cabin ourselves!! :ok:

Believe it or not we have to rely on our SLF for a few things!

FBW:)