PDA

View Full Version : Learning a new language?

Trismegistro
11th Aug 2006, 13:59
Hi all, i'd like to know if the airline companies(regional and major) give importance about having more than one language.

Thanks in advance.

scroggs
11th Aug 2006, 15:10
In which country?

Scroggs

Trismegistro
11th Aug 2006, 19:01
In any of English speakers. Preferably US.

Thanks in advance.

wingnut-will
12th Aug 2006, 07:40
I assume you're talking about pilots. As far as I know, multi-lingualism is desirable, but not essential. English is the international language of aviation. In any case, I will be mentioning my grasp of Russian, Italian and Finnish in me CV!:hmm:

Moi Moi!

scroggs
12th Aug 2006, 08:31
For some employers in the US, Spanish may be an advantage - but only for dealing on the ground with the large percentage of US citizens in that company for whom Spanish may be their first language. Whether it would give you an advantage at interview is unlikely. In UK, you probably would never be asked whether you have another language in a pilot interview.

Whether you like it or not, English is both the the mandated language of aviation, and the lingua franca of the business world. It's also the language that people generally turn to when two parties, neither of anglophonic nations, try and communicate. Therefore aviation companies in English-speaking nations are unlikely to seek foreign language speakers except for specific sales, customer relations, and liaison roles.

Scroggs

AIRWAY
12th Aug 2006, 13:14
Hello,

I think knowing other languages or some basics is useful while operating abroad no doubt about that.

bluepeely
15th Aug 2006, 15:55
I've just come back from a wkend in Prague and had chance to talk to the captain after landing whilst my drunken friend had medical help (absynthe is harsh) and asked him how the job situation was over there.

He said they are screaming for low houred pilots who will bond to a TR, he didn't know how much or the catch but was positve that they are desperate and are getting more planes by the week as are other eastern european countries.

The only problem was you must be fairly fluent at chezch. I'm just wondering if this might be the future to learn a second language, it can only help our chances.

It wont suit all but could do for those running out of patience.
Has anyone else tried owt similar and got anywhere???????

Think i may go for it and go back and ask that whore why she stole my wallet whilst i was in the shower :{ :O

EI-Shamrock
15th Aug 2006, 16:26
I'm thinking about doing a degree combining AeroEng or Physics with French. I think it might be useful to have fluency in another language. Many continental European airlines have specific language requirements. To become fluent, you will have to spend time living/working in that country which won't suit the majority of people. You'll need to grasp technical terms too, not just conversational skills. If you're out of work with nothing to do it's possible.

wingnut-will
15th Aug 2006, 16:43
The only problem was you must be fairly fluent at chezch. I'm just wondering if this might be the future to learn a second language, it can only help our chances.

I met an Estonian Air captain once and I asked him if I needed to speak estonian to fly for them. He said no, as first of all English is the International language of Aviation, and its against European law to discriminate against a non native speaker UNLESS the situation warrants it (ie: translator).

I alreay speak four, but it is more rather a hobby with me than it is as an investment. What the company will ask you is the universal question:

"HOW MANY HOURS HAVE YOU GOT????" :uhoh:

wingnut-will
15th Aug 2006, 16:44
Many continental European airlines have specific language requirements.

Really? Which?

EI-Shamrock
15th Aug 2006, 16:56
Look at French, German, Finnish, Russian, Dutch airlines for a start. I'm not sure about TAP Air Portugal or some Spanish airlines. SN Brussels say pilots should be fluent in English, French, and Dutch. Airlines often have their pilot recruitment webpage only available in a certain language so that those who don't speak the lingo can't understand. It's mainly national carriers that have language requirements, as a way of keeping it a 'national' airline. It's very easy to discriminate too.

Satisfied?

Bart_Man
15th Aug 2006, 17:19
Hey Wingnut,

I speak three languages and read that you speak four, but I was just wondering if you have ever been able to use that as an advantage in an interview?

Regards,
Bart_Man

wingnut-will
15th Aug 2006, 17:25
Nah, I'm never satisfied! Sounds dodgey. I'm not saying I dont believe you, I do. But I want a closer look into this. If what your saying is the case, then AirMalta, the maltese national carrier, (I live there) would be asking for Pilots who are fluent in Maltese, and I know for absolute biblical fact that that isnt true. Is it an exception? Maybe, but I still find this languages thing hard to swallow. I hope it isnt the case. I promise to look into it further. :{

wingnut-will
15th Aug 2006, 17:31
Hey Wingnut,

I speak three languages and read that you speak four, but I was just wondering if you have ever been able to use that as an advantage in an interview?

Regards,
Bart_Man

I havent had the privilage of an interview yet, I'm still on ATPL's! But I guess they deserve a mention on my CV, as I have seen other Pilots resume's citing the languages they speak. One Greek/Australian aquaintance of mine said he may have gotten a F/O job amongst similarly qualified competitors because of his fluency in greek.But I am not sure if it's any real advantage. Like I said, it's just a hobby for me.

Kiitos ja Kippis!

EI-Shamrock
15th Aug 2006, 17:43
Remember I didn't say all national carriers, but some European airlines do. Air France, KLM, Lufthansa and some other German airlines, SN Brussels, Finnair, Czech Airlines, the list goes on and on. It's a way of saying, we don't really want non-nationals working for us. They can't say "only German nationals" for example because they are part of the EU. Is English is the spoken language in Malta? That could be why there is no maltese language requirement. Of course, those outside the EU can have whatever requirements they want. It's unfair, but what can you do?:*