PDA

View Full Version : Licence Conversion from JAA ATPL to CAA ATPL

ant1
8th Oct 2005, 11:11
Some airlines require you to hold a UK license.

Can anybody tell me what's involved in converting a JAR license to a UK one.

Thanks

GusHoneybun
8th Oct 2005, 11:36
eeer?

you cannot hold a UK licence anymore. been years since you could. all that went the way of the dodo the day we all went to the wonderful JAR system. the CAA in the UK only issue JAR licences these days. hence, you cannot convert to a licence that is not issued.

ant1
8th Oct 2005, 12:50
Roger and thanks

So what are these airlines aking for then?

GusHoneybun
8th Oct 2005, 13:32
Well, without knowing which airline in particular it'll be a bit hard to answer. However, they are probably asking that you hold either a JAR licence OR a CAA licence.

People who got their licences before the JAR system started will have the old CAA issued licence. As this was valid for life, there is no need for these people to convert over to a JAR licence.

If you have a JAR licence issued by the CAA then this is good enough.

BillieBob
8th Oct 2005, 19:30
Gus is right, there hasn't been a UK national licence for some years. However, I have heard that a number of operators insist on a UK issued JAR licence, you may be getting confused with one of them.

ant1
9th Oct 2005, 18:18
Yes BillieBob

I hold a JAR license issued by a JAR country (not UK) and I am really :confused: by that requirement I read, stating that you needed to convert your JAA license to a UK one.

I guess as you and GusHoneybun say, this is no longer applicable.

Thanks

DesiPilot
9th Oct 2005, 19:03
Ant1,

I am assuming that your airline is looking for a JAA licence issued by the UK CAA.

If thats the case it is an easy process. Its been a while since I read the LASORS but I am sure there was a form you can fill in and change the country of issue. All you had to do was give your present JAA licence to the UK CAA along with a required fee and the UK CAA will issue you another licence.

I am not too sure why an airline would ask for a licence issued by the UK CAA!!

You can find more information at www.srg.caa.co.uk.

Ant1,

This is what you are looking for http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?categoryid=33&pagetype=65&applicationid=11&mode=detail&id=451.

I could not find a specific charge for this application so I am assuming that the UK CAA will charge you £194 for the issue of new licence. You can find the scheme of charges at http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/175/srg_fcl_Scharges_prof_05.pdf

I hope this helps.

Best Wishes,
Jatin

BillieBob
10th Oct 2005, 09:55
I think you'll find that there is now a residency requirement attached to changing the State of Licence Issue. You would have to contact the UK CAA to confirm that.

ant1
14th Oct 2005, 12:12
Hi

Thanks for the answers.

I've found this pprune thread (http://www.pprune.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=192442&perpage=20&pagenumber=1)

According to one of the posts, it seems that there have been instances where the issuing CAA did not accept the UK TR.

By extension, as I understand it, this problem could be encountered in any JAA country.

These JAA incompatibilities seem like nonsense to me and AFAIC, betray the whole spirit of the JAA artifact.

Schimmel
14th Aug 2006, 20:43
Hello members of forum ,

I live for approx. 8 months in UK and I want to convert my JAR CPL/IR into a UK JAR CPL/IR licence.

I have for this a few questions to those, which lead their Frozen ATPL licence at the UK aviation authority.

An english friend have shown me his UK Frozen ATPL and I have ascertained that no ATPL theory and MCC was endorsed under section XIII (Remarks).

1. Does the UK CAA put not the ATPL theory and the MCC in the British licence (Frozen
ATPL) , even if one completed these examinations? A german friend of me showed me
his german licence, where ATPL theory and MCC under section XIII (Remarks) are
registered.

2. If the ATPL theory and MCC is not registered in the british licence, how you can prove
that it is a frozen ATPL and not only a CPL Licence? - for example with applications by
airlines.

3. Furthermore I noticed that the british Flight Radiotelephony Operators Licence is also
limited valid – for ten years. How do you extend the validity? For exampel the german
Flight Radiotelephony Operators is valid for an unlimited period.

4. Which experiences do you have with the British aviation authority, more positively or
rather negative? - before I will make a conversion.

For your answers I thank you in advance.

Schimmel

no sponsor
14th Aug 2006, 20:54
I reckon the re-validation of an RT licence involves you filling out a form, and attaching your credit card details. That's certainly how the actual CPL/PPL is re-validated.

Open ended licences don't earn enough money for the CAA.

elevengflyer
15th Aug 2006, 08:55
there is no indication of 'frozen' ATPL status on the licence. When applying for jobs most airlines will request a copy of your MCC certificate, which you get upon course completion from the FTO - the CAA also retain a copy of it. For the theory part the CAA have a record of all ATPL theory exams undertaken and the results obtained, the candidate also has a copy of the results should they ever need to 'prove' that they have studied at ATPL level.

Schimmel
15th Aug 2006, 11:14
Thank you very much for your answers.

What about my question no. 4? :confused:

Thank you in advance :ok: !

elevengflyer
16th Aug 2006, 10:17
Point 4. From a personal perspective with regards to the licensing element.
I have always found the CAA to be fairly helpful and efficient. I know some have had bad experiences and may disagree, but personally I have found the experiences positive.

peterinmadrid
1st Sep 2006, 16:56
Hi. I am living in Spain and I plan to do the ATPL here in Spain (from the beginning, although little by little over the next few years). What I was wondering is how difficult and costly it is to convert that to a UK ATPL, and whether that is necessary in order for me to work for an airline based in the UK. I am a UK citizen, if that makes any difference.

BillieBob
2nd Sep 2006, 08:25
The UK will only accept a change to State of Licence Issue if the applicant can show 'Normal Residency'.

JAR–FCL 1.070 - Normal residency
Normal residency means the place where a person usually lives for at least 185 days in each calendar year because of personal and occupational ties or, in the case of a person with no occupational ties, because of personal ties which show close links between that person and the place where she or he is living.

It doesn't matter what your nationality, you need to convince the UK Authority that you are resident in the UK for at least 185 days each year before they will agree to become your State of Licence Issue.

peterinmadrid
2nd Sep 2006, 14:55
So if I wanted to apply for a job in the UK, would a Spanish JAA ATPL be equally valid?

hughesyd
3rd Sep 2006, 14:57
Hi , In theory yes it should be, being from a JAA registered state, it should be recognised as such . Some airlines however like you to have a UK issued licence. I also am living in Madrid and doing all my training out here, then converting to UK Licence eventually. Im out here for that sole purpose, having a property in the UK and living there apart from the time i have been out here , enough to complete my training. I you are planning to return to the UK and have financial ties or similar, i shouldnt see any problem.