PDA

View Full Version : Blackdog... or should that be...

tmmorris
14th Aug 2006, 19:53
This amused me...

CONTROL AND REPORTING CENTRE (CRC) SCAMPTON IS CO-LOCATED WITH RAF SCAMPTON ATC UNIT. TO AVOID CONFUSION OVER CALLSIGNS, CRC SCAMPTON HAS BEEN ALLOCATED THE CALLSIGN BLACKDOG.

Methinks this is a reference to a politically incorrectly named dog...

Tim

Whirlygig
14th Aug 2006, 20:10
Isn't Blackdog the name that Winston Churchill used to give to his bouts of depression?

Cheers

Whirls

Fournicator
14th Aug 2006, 21:29
Tim,
Correct. The original dog's name was withdrawn as a formation callsign a few years back due to PCitis, "Black Dog" has, I believe, been used by the relevant sqn for a while.

Mandator
15th Aug 2006, 18:04
It was as long ago as 1984 when the non-PC formation call-sign was replaced by the PC version. This happened following an airfield attack during the TACEVAL at Upper Heyford when, if I remember correctly, someone from the thought police made a complaint through HQ 3rd Air Force. And that was the end of that.

1d2d3d4d
15th Aug 2006, 18:29
Wasn't Guy Gibsons dog a black labrador called "Nigger". It was killed by a car the day before the Dams raid and buried at Scampton at the time of the raid.

Chris

Doh, just re-read first post silly me! :uhoh:

FlyingForFun
15th Aug 2006, 18:57
TO AVOID CONFUSION OVER CALLSIGNSAnd while we're on the subject... is it just me who things it's not entirely logical that Yeovilton's callsign is Yeovil, and Yeovil's callsign is Westland???

Any others out there?

FFF
-----------