PDA

View Full Version : phraseology and procedures

austhai
14th Aug 2006, 16:07
Hi, I am an English teacher working in a university in Asia. I have taught English for the Airline Industry which is for cabin crew and ground crew. With the new ICAO english proficiency standards coming into effect in 2008 there is a lot of interest in Aviation English. I have been asked to put together an Aviation English course. The main objective being pronunciation for pilots and ATC's.

I have an Australian PPL and am familier with terminology, phraseology and flight ops for VFR flights in Australia however obviously I now need to be familier with ICAO international phraseology and flight ops.

An example is do we say FL two zero zero or FL two hundred. Having flown nothing bigger than a C182 I have no practical experience at these levels.

Can anyone tell me how I can get hold of these ???

Every pilot flying international routes had to have learn't these from somewhere.

Thanks in advance......

EGBKFLYER
14th Aug 2006, 16:09
Try here - it's the UK RT Manual and there are a few small differences from other countries (as usual!) but it will cover what you need I think...

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP413.PDF

If you can get hold of a copy, ICAO Annex 10 will give you more international stuff.

pugzi
14th Aug 2006, 16:38
Hi, if you want to hear the phraseology and understand the radio telephony communications, try OATmedia VFR/IFR communication interactive cd's. They certainly help.

smith
14th Aug 2006, 21:27
Grab yyourself an air-band radio and listen in to some air traffic control or search google for "live ATC feeds".

hedges81
14th Aug 2006, 22:29
so is it Flight Level 2 zero zero or Flight Level 2hundred then?

Should bloody well know as I only took my ATPL comms exam last week, am useless!

smith
14th Aug 2006, 23:06
FL tree fiffe zero to be precise

austhai
15th Aug 2006, 03:51
It's FL TWO ZERO ZERO..........Looked it up in the Australian Visual Flight Guide

TooL8
15th Aug 2006, 07:44
From CAP413.
"When transmitting messages containing flight levels each digit shall be transmitted separately. However, in an endeavour to reduce ‘level busts’ caused by the confusion between some levels (100/110, 200/220 etc.), levels which are whole hundreds e.g. FL 100, 200, 300 shall be spoken as “Flight level (number) HUN DRED”. The word hundred must not be used for headings."

So in Australia it's Two zero zero, in 'CAA-Land' its Two Hundred :ugh:

hedges81
15th Aug 2006, 10:48
Its splitting hairs a bit though isnt it, theyd understand you if you said either, which is all that matters. The real issue with numbers comes with saying things like "one five" instead of "fifteen", which sounds too much like fifty, or "one three" instead of "thirteen", which sounds too much like "thirty". Its those u really need to worry about.

tom89
17th Aug 2006, 16:02
In the UK they use hundred.

TRISTAR1
17th Aug 2006, 16:31
It has been my experience that RT procedure amongst new pilots is very bad. I do realise however that it is not normaly the fault of the student but rather the flight instructors and some local airfields.

For those of you looking to get in the RHS, the least an airline can expect of you is to be able to work the radios.

The main problem seems to be not how to say it but what to say. Departure and initial contact being the worst.

It is hard to glean that info from 413, but I suggest that most of you should at least arrange a visit to an ATC unit or listen via a scanner.

It is not being pedantic, bad calls clutter up an already very busy ATC system and if ATC have to ask passing level, cleared altitude or SID then this makes the congestion worse.

Maybe there should be some kind of advanced testing or an advanced course for the FATPL.

The other problem is that most of you are learning UK RT, in a jet within 30 minutes you are in ICAO airspace and you should be learning this as well. If you have an emergency or something a little different, remember that most overseas controllers will not understand a word your saying unless you stick to standard calls. English is not their native language. The worst offenders amongst the "PROFFESIONALS" are the Americans, English and Australians and its our language. How can we berate the Spanish, French and Italians when we can not even do it right ourselves!