PDA

View Full Version : FATS

reedy
14th Aug 2006, 15:31
hi,
I am in the process of applying to the RN as a pilot and was wondering if anyone had any tips/advice on anything i could do to preparing for fats? Someone mentioned that playing computer games could help?

nick0021
14th Aug 2006, 15:38
use the search engine, and you will find all you need to know...

Good luck :ok:

Nick

JAG3
14th Aug 2006, 16:37
There's nothing much you can do to prepare. Just try and rely on your own abilites.:ok:

airborne_artist
14th Aug 2006, 17:37
JAG3

Remind us just how many times you have attempted and passed OASC for RN/RAF/AAC Officer Aircrew selection, and thus how confident you feel making sweeping posts as above.

Reedy

Do a search on the forum for OASC, aircrew selection etc. Find your way to the excellent site prepared with the help of Mike Jenvey (do a search on his name).

Practice time/speed/distance calcs in your head while doing something else (not driving, perhaps).

PC/console gaming can increase hand/eye/brain co-ordination, it is said. I've not tried it, nor seen confirmed evidence.

Have a look at the relevent threads on here (http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=96). Some good info on what to expect.

Get fit - fit body = fast brain (so they say :E )

Good luck.

And for the record - attended OASC at BH twice. Passed twice. (First was for FlySchol, awarded :ok: )

JAG3
14th Aug 2006, 18:05
I was just writing what I have previously seen on another forum. When you were talking about games consoles I thought that you were talking more about hand to eye co-ordination etc. in which you can't really practise because there designed to be different.
Regarding time, distance, speed etc. its just a matter of contiously going over them until you can confidently flow them onto a piece of paper in a electrifying time.

Good Luck

samuraimatt
14th Aug 2006, 19:17
I was just writing what I have previously seen on another forum.

Can't come up with an answer of your own now? I guess you are the expert in all things OASC.:E You didn't answer Airbornes question.

Taffer
14th Aug 2006, 22:52
Airborne has pretty much hit the nail on the head with his post, although I'll add my 2 pence worth.

Get used to the basic flight instruments - ASI, Altimeter, VSI, T+S, etc. by using flight sim. or a similar program. If you already fly in your spare time, then you'll have no problems with this.

Make sure you're able to carry out mental arithmetic while doing one or two other things at the same time. Also, make sure you can memorise strings of letters or numbers. Practicing with phone numbers is an example, although I'm sure you'll find a system which suits you.

Also, when you're at OASC, resist the temptation to stay in the bar all night - being in the company of RAF officer candidates, you'll probably achieve this without too much difficulty.

On the day, stay calm, and do not dwell on the tests you've sat - try and stay focused on the task at hand.

I've not got too much experience here, only passes for the AAC and the FAA FATs. Now at BRNC, hoping to escape to flying training in the near future.

Best of luck with your FATs and RN application, Reedy!

b16a2
15th Aug 2006, 15:07
Mental arithmetic, hand eye co-ordination (games consoles good practice for that), short term memory. Also when you sit them, take a botte of water, and maybe a nutrigrain bar in with you!

If you go to OASC and pass the aptitude for pilot for the RAF, does that also include a pass for the navy? The only reson I ask is that you can do the aptitude tests twice. So if you do them twice for the RAF and pass, but dont eventually get in to serve, can you apply to Navy as Pilot and use the RAF aptitude results?

samuraimatt
15th Aug 2006, 21:13
short term memory.
Lets hope that no Goldfish apply............................Lets hope that no Goldfish apply..................:rolleyes:

LHtoLT
16th Aug 2006, 08:42
Think the guys above have prett much nailed it on the head. I just did my FATS for RN at the start of Aug and its important that your speed time distance calcs are really weighed off to a tee! I was told that doing Sudoku works well with this to as helps with vigilance and awarness.

If you going for pilot in the RN they also expect you to pass the observer side too which is where all the Speed time distance stuff is so dont get caught out! FLight simulators help with instrument orentation and hand eye to apoint. Hand eye parts of the test are a case of you have got it or not. Multitasking features alot in the testing so bear that in mind and keep a level head and stay calm. Get some good nights sleep on the run up to it and an early one when there.

Good Luck!!!!

N