PDA

View Full Version : Tax issues with buying and leasing back

The Hustler
14th Aug 2006, 14:11
When I was at the Fly! show in London, I spoke to an FTO and we discussed the option of me taking out a loan to buy a low-hour R22 (from them ;) ), then renting it back to them for 2 years for an amount that would cover the running costs and the loan repayments, with a little left over. The idea was that I could use this extra to pay for some flying time of my own.

My accountant said that this would count as a benefit-in-kind, and I'd get taxed on the full purchase price of the helicopter (not even the reducing value through airframe time). He also said that the value would depreciate normally, and not in relation to how it is used (again, reduction in time until a complete rebuild). Even if I left the extra in the company, and just paid for my flying time at 'cost' he said I'd still get done by Mr Taxman.

Can anyone recommend a UK tax expert in this specific area that I could talk to, as I am investigating various ways of building time, and if I can offset those costs it would be great?

Many thanks,

The Hustler

md 600 driver
15th Aug 2006, 14:58
your accountant is correct there are some ways around this if ou pm me with your email address i will send you my phone number

Whirlygig
15th Aug 2006, 15:04
You get taxed on 20% of the purchase price less any contributions you make to your business towards the running costs of the aircraft. the amount you pay is of course you tax rate (be it 40% or 22%) on this amount.

If you contribute nothing towards the costs and the aircraft cost £100,000, you will be taxed on £20,000. Therefore, if you are a basic rate taxpayer, the cost will be £4,400 which is what? 15 hours flying time?

Cheers

Whirls