PDA

View Full Version : The Home of Photos in Dunnunda! Mk I

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41

troppo
26th Oct 2007, 10:51
hey bulolo bob...interesting user name...spent a few years there myself...swine lodge on a sunday arvo... golf club in between...wau hotel if desperation set in :} The misso from Wau must have been there in your days...he has been the forever in P2-SEQ (?)

Torres
26th Oct 2007, 12:18
Can't be forever.

SEQ belonged to Talair until I sold it in the late 1970's (I think.)

tinpis
26th Oct 2007, 19:58
QUOTE]Quote:
I've collected fares in the Sepik in Japanese occupation money
Still got any of that stuff Tinpis?

It was all grabbed by the "Trader" for use in his trade stores...:E

Torres
26th Oct 2007, 20:30
Lotsa people made lotsa money out of Talair. Not all had the name Buchanan.

Jabawocky
27th Oct 2007, 02:31
OK

Where are these parallel runways located?

http://file038b.bebo.com/2/large/2007/10/27/02/4525920200a5938005775l.jpg

Pinky the pilot
28th Oct 2007, 06:40
It's officially called 'Tracking Coastal.':uhoh:
Amongst the rest of us it was known as 'Navigating by visual reference to the tops of the coconut palms.':eek:
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i319/Pinkythepilot/TrackingcoastaltoKeremaviavis.jpg[/IMG]

olderairhead
28th Oct 2007, 22:46
Now doesn't that bring back some fond(?) memories.

Hate to think of the number of times that's all I saw between Lae and Pindiu in the ol' 206.

tinpis
29th Oct 2007, 01:06
Ummm...which Pindiu did you mean ? The one in the Mongi Valley?

VH-FTS
29th Oct 2007, 01:11
OK

Where are these parallel runways located?

Southern Bribie Island, QLD

olderairhead
29th Oct 2007, 01:56
That's the one tinpis.

tinpis
29th Oct 2007, 02:01
Ummm..you tracked COASTAL there :confused: :hmm:

olderairhead
29th Oct 2007, 04:05
Its been 25 years since I left PNG but definitely tracked coastal towards Finchaven and took a lefty half way there, then up the valley for pindiu.

The old memory is not the same as it used to be but I am sure it was the mongi valley. But then again I am probably wrong.

The legacy of too many SP brownies I think!

tipsy2
29th Oct 2007, 05:37
My favourite person (the one that feeds me :D) saw Pinky's "Coastal" photo and commented "I never got that high, now I know what's on top of the tree trunks":eek::ooh:

Now he's wandered off mumbling something about ships masts appearing out of the gloop and having to go around them:eek:

tipsy
purrrrr:ok:

Chimbu chuckles
29th Oct 2007, 07:22
Nothing wrong with your memory olderairhead....track coastal ex Lae at about the altitude in Pinky's picture and then turn inland at Cape Gerhard and track up the Monghi River valley....climbing into the Monghi valley system as the cloudbase permitted....you could work a whole morning in a tree lined/cloud capped little world flying back and forth between Pindiu/Mindik/Ogenerang/Masa etc and then have to descend down the Monghi valley to the coast again and track home to Lae at 50-100 in rain and low cloud.

From memory it was called the wet season.:ok:

The big trick was knowing whether you could take off at each strip...you'd land and park, get out and look back the way you'd flown in and wonder how the **** you managed that...if there was room to get airborne, climb above the trees and do a 180 and land again you'd go...and the world looked entirely different 200' above the strip.

Ya tell youngans these days and they just don't believe it....personally I miss it...a lot some days.

Pinky the pilot
29th Oct 2007, 09:27
personally I miss it...a lot some days.

I miss it a bloody lot, each and every day!!:{:{:{:{

olderairhead
29th Oct 2007, 10:04
Thanks Chimbu, thought I had gone a bit senile for a moment.

The worst bit was standing in the parking bay looking down the strip watching the cloud come in - below the other end - and then deciding how far below the other end before you could not take off, drop the nose into the valley and stay visual!

Always the 5 cents, 50 cents grip the seat sort of feeling.

Ahhhh the sweet memories!

Chimbu chuckles
29th Oct 2007, 11:35
BTW Pinky...those trees wouldn't be that little ridgeline leading along the beach into Kerema?

olderairhead I seem to remember getting airborne ar Ogenerang, going IMC at about 20', counting to 3 and descending into clear air in a slight right turn...maybe more than once;)

Ogenerang
http://www.fototime.com/{66BCFE04-3236-423B-B988-5F3C8470CBB1}/picture.JPG

I hasten to add you could see the valley was clear off the RH side of the strip by taxiing over to that side as you backtracked and peering over the edge. The middle background is the valley leading to the '20 mile Gap'.

Pindiu
http://www.fototime.com/{B882834F-D264-4EE4-9645-FE849A168F47}/picture.JPG

From memory a RH turn airborne took you towards the Monghi and down to the coast and a LH turn took you to Lenghbati...the only sloping swamp I have ever seen.

To paraphrase a movie title...'We were bush pilots once, and young...and stoopid':}

olderairhead
29th Oct 2007, 12:13
Luckily never had to overnight at ogerenang or pindiu but did know of a couple of Co-Air guys that did spend the night in the back of a C185.

And can you tell me was the Kiap still living there next to the windsock at pindiu when you took that pic? Bearded bloke, can't remember his name.

I did post some pics of that area a while ago on another thread and if anyone is interested can do so again.

tinpis
29th Oct 2007, 20:54
I was just curious about the coastal thing
I didnt need to track coastal the few times I've been into Pindiu and Mindik
I was in the mighty Porter and just bored straight up from Lae and straight down again:ok:

Pinky the pilot
30th Oct 2007, 04:40
those trees wouldn't be that little ridgeline leading along the beach into Kerema?

Certainly is, Chuck. I took that photo on one of the successful attempts in getting into Kerema in such weather.

olderairhead
30th Oct 2007, 10:16
Must admit, most times it was coming home. Only a few times going the other way. Tried the climb to 10,000 and down but never became visual in time.

Read 5 cents, 50 cents again.

So decided this was not for me.

Call me chicken but at least I am here to talk about it.

The other thing that crossed my mind in those early days was maybe a fokker inbound from finchaven could be on the reciprical track.

Not really rated in those days. Nuf said! :\

Torres
30th Oct 2007, 11:29
Apinun Olderairhead! :)

Finschhafen it is! :=

"..thought I had gone a bit senile for a moment."

"The legacy of too many SP brownies I think!"

As the Brownies decimate brain cells, genetic instinct kicks in!

Proven scientific fact!!!

Ask Maxie, Trader, Biggles and many other survivors from our era!

:}

tinpis
1st Nov 2007, 04:51
Atmospheric photo from the 60's in kiwi

Balls to the wall 1340 bellowing .bump bump down strip throwing up mud and sheep ****, fall off end hand on dump lever. geeeeentle left turn, ease back I think we are climbing out of the river .....

http://www.kiwibeavers.com/images/PL-11_Airtruck_CKE.JPG

Chimbu chuckles
1st Nov 2007, 10:14
God that aeroplane is UGLY:ooh:

WynSock
1st Nov 2007, 10:19
Is that a Transavia Skyfarmer?

:8

:yuk:

tinpis
1st Nov 2007, 21:31
WynSock quite a good discussion on the PL-11 Airtruck here (http://rnzaf.proboards43.com/index.cgi?board=civil&action=display&thread=1187402619)

Me fergets it was about the time some of yer FATHERS were born :{:{

kiwi chick
1st Nov 2007, 21:41
Tin, I'm sorry to say, that...

As awed as I am by you guys (and trust me, I sincerely mean that!) and as much as I love hearing all your stories and snippets..

You DIDN'T really fly an aircraft that looked like THAT did you? :{

Because if so I might just have to quietly slip out the back door and find someone more manly to stalk... ;)

Chimbu chuckles
2nd Nov 2007, 02:44
Nah Tin...my old Dad was born in 1932...when you wuz flying that ferking ugly aeroplane I wuz in shorts and yet to discover my dik was good for something over than pissing through:}

Pretty coutryside though...NZ is a pretty place:ok:

Airtruck, Nomad, GA8....we south sea poms aren't real good at designing pretty aeroplanes.:hmm:

tinpis
2nd Nov 2007, 04:51
Geezaz I is not THAT old
The fella flying that thing was probably the venerable Don "Goose " Ercerg, he would be about your dads vintage Chuckles
I remember him saying that the Airtruck was bloody awful and he was wary of it
Its amazing he wanted to fly at all after this incident (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showpost.php?p=1334394&postcount=12):uhoh:

tinpis
4th Nov 2007, 03:11
Staggered off here a few times in the 60's in a 172 loaded with mussels....

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q38/KIWIRVER/RAFlyin04-1.jpg

prospector
4th Nov 2007, 06:32
Tinpis,
That looks more like a toheroa beach, did they go out as mussels in disguise??

Jabawocky
4th Nov 2007, 06:32
At least the amphibious one will be ok when the tide comes back in!:ooh:

25000 hours of fertilizing.......busy boy!

slackie
4th Nov 2007, 10:15
Looks like a wee beach just north of NZRA...dropped in there a couple of times myself...in a B22, then a CH701

tinpis
4th Nov 2007, 20:11
Slackie,correct :ok:
Goose used to tell the story about losing the engine out of the C180
He was luckily pretty low doing a sowing run when there was a hell of bang and tremendous vibration.
He reached for the throttle to close it but it disappeared through the instrument panel ! :ooh: He didnt really know the engine had fell out because the TOP cowl was still in place ! All he did was haul the flap down and push like buggery.:eek:
(get your instructor to practise that emergency sometime kiddys):p

I recall another chap wasnt as lucky and perished when the same thing happened to him in the cruise
Prospector may remember,a Dutch fella I think it was?
There had been a dud batch of props.

kiwi chick
4th Nov 2007, 21:32
:eek: :eek: :eek:

watching the throttle disappearing thru the panel???

:{ that'd be sure-fire laundrette visit.

prospector
4th Nov 2007, 23:33
Tinpis,
The other topdresser that lost a prop blade was a C180, BGN, at Putorino, Apr 55. The pilot was Mort Vanderpump, he was killed. Goose Erceg was certainly a lucky fellow to walk away from the incident when he lost a prop blade, and the engine.

tinpis
4th Nov 2007, 23:50
Thank you prospector
Are the Kiwi crash comics from the past available on line?

prospector
5th Nov 2007, 00:18
The only ones I have found are at http://www.taic.org.nz/, they only go back to Feb 1988, may be others but I have not found them.

Towering Q
9th Nov 2007, 23:36
Location?

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k176/towering_q/CYT.jpg

PLovett
10th Nov 2007, 03:40
Geez, I bet the campers are going to be a happy lot when that thing cranks up for departure. :=

PA39
10th Nov 2007, 05:54
:) Or was it bought in for squatter removal ?

Towering Q
10th Nov 2007, 07:50
The caravan is occupied by the local roo shooter, who obviously works nights...:rolleyes:...and does get the odd aircraft dropping in to disturb his sleep. Never thought about it until now, but that is a pretty dumb place to park the caravan.

Bendo
10th Nov 2007, 11:00
Hey TQ

That doesn't look like a Caravan to me!!!

:}

Fred Gassit
10th Nov 2007, 11:28
Caiguna?
You need to ask fang about his picture of MFF after it flew out of there years ago.

QSK?
10th Nov 2007, 21:18
Towering Q:

I'm with Fred Gassit. Definitely Caiguna but I'm surprised that that strip could take a C402/421?

Towering Q
10th Nov 2007, 21:50
Yep, Caiguna it is.

The 402 gets in and out quite comfortably, (as would a Caravan Bendo:ok:), it's the track out to the strip that provides the fun.

Now that it has been 'improved' the wing tips ride over the bushes on either side.:uhoh:

Jabawocky
14th Nov 2007, 03:13
I recall a post on here somewhere about a 3 engined Dash 8, well I know this might cop some flack.......but I think I found it!

One on each wing and one on the nose!:}

Seems to be a funny ritual going on here with it being tugged around the GA area.....and engines running. Anyone care to explain?

http://file038b.bebo.com/5/large/2007/11/14/04/4525920200a6107096897l.jpg

Brian Abraham
14th Nov 2007, 04:39
Push starting the tug Jabba?

25000 hours of fertilizing.......busy boy

Bet he was sorry when sperm banks took over.

Kiwiconehead
14th Nov 2007, 05:25
Seems to be a funny ritual going on here with it being tugged around the GA area.....and engines running. Anyone care to explain?

Maybe broken APU and start off ground power by the hanger, take it somewhere else for high power runs - used to do that in Christchurch sometimes with the Dash - don't take the props out of start/feather though - tries to overtake the tug then.

Although it's much easier just to taxi.

PA39
14th Nov 2007, 06:28
:)Clutch start?

Jabawocky
14th Nov 2007, 07:47
no clutch starts or run ups etc......its a regular thing, and even though my camera makes it look idle, they were both running no probs.....no APU problems either.

J

Richo
14th Nov 2007, 09:47
Taxi power problem maybe Jabba

Is that tarmac fairly tight for parking, as you need 23m for taxi power in a turbine.

richo

Jabawocky
14th Nov 2007, 09:58
Richo

I suspect you are half way right....the taxi power maybe......but why there.......when it arrives it unloads at the terminal:confused:

J

Sir HC
15th Nov 2007, 08:09
Here are some pretty easy ones
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2362/2030493089_45d621a3fb.jpg?v=0
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2128/2031301180_3efd860a94.jpg?v=0

morno
15th Nov 2007, 10:55
Both in Mt Isa. The first one is just outside the AA building (old ****** hangar), with the QWest Hangar in view. Looks like VH-LSB in the foreground, VH-WGF's tail, and that Cherokee that seems to have been sitting there for quite some time.

The second one is either VH-LSB, or VH-EZN. Can't quite see the colours properly.

morno

WannaBeBiggles
15th Nov 2007, 12:51
Nice pictures HC!

tinpis
15th Nov 2007, 18:08
Prospector found this photo of BGN
http://www.edcoatescollection.com/ac2/NZBA/ZK-BGN.jpg

This image looks like it was taken from a newspaper. It wasn't, it's merely a very small,grainy, washed out neg. It was owned by Vanair Ltd of Hastings. It crashed following an engine failure in April 1955 in the Putorino area, after only five months service.

Heres one that will make yer eyes water

We both probably knew the lovely fella that perished in her when it was a turbo Fletcher (the first)
[
http://www.edcoatescollection.com/ac2/NZBA/ZK-BHQ.jpg

A Fletcher in the blue and grey livery of Roberston Air Service at Christchurch in 1955.
This aircraft was converted to have a Garrett TPE331 turboprop engine of some 530 hp installed in 1967, making it a FU-24-1160 (which actually gave it a new c/n of 2001).
It was written off in an accident in 1968

http://www.edcoatescollection.com/ac2/NZBA/NZCivBA.html

Wait!...theres more!

Old WAC ZK-BBV pranged in a hedge at Ohaupo after running out of gas.The pilot a shearer bloke, went on to Rural I think it was and died in a C180 topdressing.
http://www.edcoatescollection.com/ac2/NZBA/ZK-BBV.jpg

OpsNormal
16th Nov 2007, 01:23
The second one is either VH-LSB, or VH-EZN. Can't quite see the colours properly

My money is on EZN. I can't quite remember but I think Ernie's machine had a white roof?

Nice pics HC, very nice.

prospector
16th Nov 2007, 05:49
Tinpis,
Yes I certainly remember Bob Scott, was a bit envious of him getting that machine with all those horses, was never explained to everyones satisfaction what actually caused that prang.

The DH82 BBV, had many happy hours aerobatting that machine, and simulated topdressing runs among the cumulus clouds, very forgiving they were if you stuffed up, plus gave a bit of I/F time!!

tinpis
16th Nov 2007, 08:48
prospector
Con Clarkin used to give it a few wring outs as well :} .....**** long time ago isnt it ?
Do you remember the shearer ? always had flash cars?

Also the collection of broken Fletchers stuck behind the hangar near the pile of empty beer bottles from the Love Shack ? :Ehttp://www.augk18.dsl.pipex.com/Smileys/avion.gif

prospector
18th Nov 2007, 05:34
The Love Shack, nearly blew it away after a night at the Aero Club, came home after a few two many, put a can of peas in the oven, just have a rest for few minutes till they heat up, woke up to a god awful bang, mashed peas and oven trays all over the deckhead, walls, and you would remember Ian Forbes, he was camped in the shack too, never ever settled who put the can in the oven without punching a couple of holes in it first.

Cannot recall the shearer fellow, But Con Clarkin certainly remember, were you involved when he came into the Ohaupo pub dressed as a Catholic priest collecting for some charity? was going well until someone recognised him.

VH-XXX
19th Nov 2007, 05:04
Ok, what and where?

(Local you are EXEMPT) - Let someone else have a go!

http://users.netconnect.com.au/~njah1/new1.jpg

VH-XXX
19th Nov 2007, 05:07
What and where? (Again locals are exempt from this one)

Jabawocky - keep it in your pants!

http://users.netconnect.com.au/~njah1/RV.JPG

Miraz
19th Nov 2007, 05:21
RV7a & RV10?

No idea on the location though...

tinpis
19th Nov 2007, 05:30
Gosh the top one is a pretty lil plane is that made proper of tin not plastic?

ZKSTF
19th Nov 2007, 05:46
As for the what, my guess is a Robin (or now Alpha) 2160 (the aerobatic one).

As for the where......no idea!

Corkey McFuz
19th Nov 2007, 05:51
First one is an Alpha 160A 2nd is a Vans RV-10. No Idea where.
Is that 160 a kiwi new build or a french one ?

VH-XXX
19th Nov 2007, 06:15
Both at Moorabbin. The Alpha is a NZ build, came over last week with NZ rego. Is first of 3 at Royal Vic Aero Club. RV10 was at Moorabbin from Yarrawonga Aircraft Maintenance facility.

slackie
19th Nov 2007, 06:36
Last time I saw that Alpha it was registered ZKZXY, and departed NZHN for Norfolk/Lord Howe...I was working in the tower when he departed...watched him on SKYLINE all the way up the west coast past AA, & he finally faded from radar cover approaching 90 Mile Beach. He had a few hours to go b4 he could stretch the legs on dry ground again!!

VH-XXX
19th Nov 2007, 08:16
You are absolutely spot on! 6'ish hours was the longest leg, with ferry tank fitted. Mind you though, 160hp at 120 knots @ $200k for 2 seats is not my kind of flying! If I was into Aero's... maybe.

tinpis
19th Nov 2007, 09:33
Slackie yer working in the place that once must of had the best ATC job in the world
The old tower over the other side near the old hangar had a grumpy bastard looking after it
Practically NORAD with the local AC operating on lights on all over grass field
the odd now and again NAC DC3 and of course James and Robertsons topdressers doing absolutely what they liked

slackie
19th Nov 2007, 09:36
Tin...yip...I believe we are up to tower number 4?? Current one is much better to work in than the last one...at least now we are tall enough to be able to see our traffic coming from the east and west!!:}

prospector
20th Nov 2007, 01:24
Obviously you are referring to the bloke before Wimpy Baker, Wimpy was a good operator.
"and of course James and Robertsons topdressers doing absolutely what they liked "
Not quite. Robbies used the West side, James the East side, Robbies tracked North initially, James traffic headed South. worked well for those real early morning take offs, especially when there was a ground fog as well. when it is considered that the early Fletchers had nil effective nav lights it was just the fact that there is so much room in 3 dimensions that there was no collisions. Must have been some very near misses, but if you didn't see opposing traffic, nothing to worry about.

tinpis
20th Nov 2007, 02:21
As I recall Robbies and James ideas about what time last light was differed from the tower .

Fog take offs.
Famous one was the Two Ronnies in a Beaver

"We'll just pop up through this bit of fog Ron,wont be a couple of ticks":ok:

"Right-ho Ron":ok:

Several thousand feet and quite a lot of ticks later they popped out over the coast near Raglan
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y150/tinpis/anim_cryingwithlaughter.gif

I did hear Ron Heneke was well and still having a DB or two

tinpis
20th Nov 2007, 02:56
Oh...and the old controller was Frank .....?

Pinky the pilot
21st Nov 2007, 04:51
What are the ops, and where?
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i319/Pinkythepilot/2.jpg[/IMG]

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i319/Pinkythepilot/1.jpg[/IMG]

ilikeit
21st Nov 2007, 04:57
Lindsay Point
Bl##dy birds

Wanderin_dave
21st Nov 2007, 05:01
Jubilee?
VH-WDU?

Pinky the pilot
21st Nov 2007, 05:08
Bloody hell but that was quick!!!Someone give ilikeit a cigar!

Lindsay Point it is.
A/C; VH-AMT

Taken around January 1991.

Thoroughly enjoyed all 180 odd hours of it!!:ok::E

SmokingHole
21st Nov 2007, 12:48
What's with the mesh, and the location?
http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb319/hairyplane/IMG_0233.jpg

jetbrett
22nd Nov 2007, 00:14
Just a few more from my collection...All very recent

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k170/jetbrett_2006/Brettspics063.jpg

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k170/jetbrett_2006/Brettspics061-1.jpg

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k170/jetbrett_2006/Brettspics060.jpg

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k170/jetbrett_2006/Brettspics021.jpg

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k170/jetbrett_2006/Brettspics002.jpg

slackie
22nd Nov 2007, 01:47
Here's one for FTDK...if you look closely!! Should be fairly easy to identify where, just look in the background...

http://www.aerobatics.co.nz/images/FTDK.jpg
http://www.aerobatics.co.nz/images/FTDR.jpg

ForkTailedDrKiller
22nd Nov 2007, 02:57
Slackie

Knowing where you are, I figure it has to be the Fieldair hangar at Palmerston Nth with the old MDAC building in the background - but I would not have recognised it without the clues ...... and then I spotted the FTDK in the back of the hangar and thought "WHAT THE F*CK"!

Dr :8

slackie
22nd Nov 2007, 03:44
FTDK...nope! It's where I am NOW not where I was in the 80's! The V-tail has been poked in the hangar there for quite a few months now (less its cowling). The Fieldair hangars are indeed round...the one in the picture was built to service Freedomair B737s (I believe), but since they have been using the A320s I haven't seen anything other than lighties in there.

ForkTailedDrKiller
22nd Nov 2007, 03:50
So what would I know!

It has been 21 years!

kiwi chick
22nd Nov 2007, 04:04
Massey colours in the foreground but they don't look like no Cherokees to me!!

I've obviously never crashed there before either... don't recognise the funny things in the background :ok:

komac2
22nd Nov 2007, 04:21
Hamiltron - CTC grounded katana fleet in back ground with either WAC or CTC alphas in foreground looks to be Ham Aero Maintenance hanger taken from the tower .

slackie
22nd Nov 2007, 04:29
Komac...yup, correct on all counts :ok:

Jabawocky
22nd Nov 2007, 05:30
And a Kubota Zero Turn Mower in the foreground!:E

J:ok:

slackie
22nd Nov 2007, 05:52
Jabba...really:confused::confused: Let's see....

http://www.aerobatics.co.nz/images/Kubota.jpg

Could be!!! Jabba...you're definitely the "lawnmower geek"!!!!:8

And the Bonza doesn't look too airworthy either! But the tug looks like a bit of fun!!

Jabawocky
22nd Nov 2007, 06:47
Not me.....but my brother is!

He runs a Kubota/NewHolland tractor Ag and construction equipment company here......so I have seen a few mowers over the years!

http://www.blacktrac.com.au/Images/new-building-004.jpg

PA39
22nd Nov 2007, 08:14
Mesh is to stop rocks and stones. Location ???

pilotwannabe
22nd Nov 2007, 08:23
Been enjoying this thread alot, about time I added some of my own:

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb7/andew1989/airsidemore4.jpg
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb7/andew1989/thomson1.jpg
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb7/andew1989/thomson3.jpg
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb7/andew1989/AKL19th1.jpg
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb7/andew1989/wed21stnzaa5.jpg
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb7/andew1989/wed21stnzaa3.jpg
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb7/andew1989/wed21stnzaa1.jpg

And a special: http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb7/andew1989/Frog3.jpg

Oh, and anyone know what Police-2 was doing hovering low over East Auckland yesterday evening?
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb7/andew1989/police2.jpg

Cheers!

Pinky the pilot
22nd Nov 2007, 08:44
Having been somewhat embarrassed by the somewhat prompt ID of my previous offerings.......here we go again!!

Any takers.....where are they?

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i319/Pinkythepilot/4.jpg[/IMG]

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i319/Pinkythepilot/3.jpg[/IMG]

Jabawocky
22nd Nov 2007, 09:10
That last one looks familiar...not that I have been there but I had the good fortune of seeing some of Chimbu Chuckles photo collection......I reckon if he logs in your pic will be identified in no time flat!:ooh:

J

Pinky the pilot
22nd Nov 2007, 09:25
Jabawocky; You're probably correct, 'cos if that piccy is in Chuckles collection it's because he pinched it from mine!!:hmm::E

Chimbu chuckles
22nd Nov 2007, 09:51
Nope...Neither of those Kerau pictures on my hardrive:ok:

ForkTailedDrKiller
22nd Nov 2007, 10:16
But where?

http://www.fototime.com/E9B66E3BD580ACD/standard.jpg

Jabawocky
22nd Nov 2007, 11:01
I understand photoshopping out the several GPS screens/PC's etc.....but did you have to photoshop my hair as well:{

J

PS Brilliant pic by Mrs FTDK by the way.....:D

slackie
22nd Nov 2007, 18:25
Jez guys! You're 'sposed to be flying....not watching TV!:eek:

Here's some serious TV action...where and in what?

http://www.aerobatics.co.nz/images/RWY18.jpg

Crosshair
22nd Nov 2007, 18:56
That's right! See -- you barely missed the 767 in the top-right corner!

Atlas Shrugged
22nd Nov 2007, 22:03
Pilotwannabe,

In the first photo, I see two aircraft tails, but only one aircraft shadow onn the ground :confused:

dreamjob
22nd Nov 2007, 23:10
Slackie, is it the DA40??:confused:

Don't know what that huge sunvisor/IFR "hood" is though. :}

olderairhead
22nd Nov 2007, 23:16
Ah I can see a conspiracy theory looming, just like when they landed on the moon! Shadows in wrong places.

Pinky the pilot
22nd Nov 2007, 23:42
Nope...Neither of those Kerau pictures on my hardrive

Correct with the first photo Chuck but not the second one!!:uhoh:

EGCC4284
22nd Nov 2007, 23:58
Pilotwannabe

G-THOE here was that picture taken. I was told we lost the aircraft and that is was now down South?? I flew it in September out of Manchester UK. Where is it now.

Rob

tinpis
23rd Nov 2007, 00:11
I know things are slow in Hamilton,but to see the same fella on the same lawnmower there 21 years later......:uhoh:

pilotwannabe
23rd Nov 2007, 01:09
Here's some serious TV action...where and in what?
Auckland Aero Club's cirrus at Ardmore?

In the first photo, I see two aircraft tails, but only one aircraft shadow onn the ground
I think thats an ATR behind the beech, the shadow is behind the orange/white barrier.

G-THOE here was that picture taken. I was told we lost the aircraft and that is was now down South?? I flew it in September out of Manchester UK. Where is it now.
It's being leased to ANZ for the holiday season down here in NZ. All my pictures were taken at Auckland International (NZAA). I'm not sure why ANZ leased that 733 from so far away, but it may have something to do with our engineering department refurbishing Thomson's 767 this year.

slackie
23rd Nov 2007, 01:34
Nope...was one of CTC Diamond Twinstars (DA42) short finals for RWY 18 at Hamilton...

That second tail looks more like a Dash 8 rather than an ATR...

slackie
23rd Nov 2007, 02:55
Here's a couple more...both rather easy!

http://photos-562.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-sctm/v155/233/2/707881562/n707881562_454433_8381.jpg
The trip down...name the airfield?

http://photos-562.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-sctm/v155/233/2/707881562/n707881562_454422_6977.jpg
The event?? The aircraft types??

http://photos-562.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-sctm/v155/233/2/707881562/n707881562_454423_7326.jpg
The trip home...name the town??

pilotwannabe
23rd Nov 2007, 03:45
Drury Lane! I've been gliding there- was good fun.

#2 could be Whenuapai open day 07? I remember seeing the Yak there, but not MAD.. so maybe did you guys stop off at Ohakea on the way down to Omaka airshow, or even park at Woodbourne?

tinpis
23rd Nov 2007, 04:04
Bottom is Waikikamukau?

slackie
23rd Nov 2007, 05:36
Drury Lane! I've been gliding there- was good fun.Strike One

#2 could be Whenuapai open day 07? I remember seeing the Yak there, but not MAD.. so maybe did you guys stop off at Ohakea on the way down to Omaka airshow, or even park at Woodbourne?Strike Two (although you got Ohakea right!)

Bases loaded...pitcher winds up....here comes the pitch.....

Slightly north of Waikikamukau!!:cool:

XRNZAF
23rd Nov 2007, 06:16
don't know the first or last ones, but the middle one looks like ohaktica to me!

reubee
23rd Nov 2007, 09:15
Photo 1 is Taumarunui. Mother in Law has a B&B near the left edge of the photo. Is Photo 3 Ohakune?

Chimbu chuckles
23rd Nov 2007, 09:34
Good grief pinky I should have payed more attention....Guari.:}

ForkTailedDrKiller
23rd Nov 2007, 10:14
Seen at Esperance, WA recently.

http://www.fototime.com/D6CDE30CD7F0B3D/standard.jpg

Now there is something "only its mother could love"!

Departed soon after, to spend the day at 40 m AGL. They usually operate at 30 m, but this was a new pilot!

Tee Emm
23rd Nov 2007, 10:53
Flapless three-point landing at Townsville. Lincoln bomber. Can't see a thing over the nose when landing at night so pilot has to whip open a sliding window and stick his head out into the breeze to see one or maybe two runway lights. Have to keep your mouth shut too, as the Townsville flies and mossies stick to your teeth.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y25/HSWL/Lincoln3pointer.jpg

Tee Emm
23rd Nov 2007, 11:08
Wirraways over Uranquinty.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y25/HSWL/WirrasQuinty.jpg

Tee Emm
23rd Nov 2007, 11:13
The advantage of a serviceable weather radar- especially in IMC at night.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y25/HSWL/Typhoonfrom737.jpg

Bendo
23rd Nov 2007, 12:01
Tee Em I was going to post a few but with Lincs and so on, frankly I can't compete. :uhoh:

slackie
23rd Nov 2007, 16:34
Now there is something "only its mother could love"!And from the inside....http://www.pprune.org/forums/showpost.php?p=3722786&postcount=1871

CTC (operating out of Hamilton) have about 10 of them...they bother us day in day out...very comfortable and modern though...if I had $$$ and was looking for a 4 seat light twin they'd be high on my list...twin diesel, de-icing, etc...

And from http://www.pprune.org/forums/showpost.php?p=3723519&postcount=1881

#1 is Taumaranui (NZTM) taken from the Decathlon
#2 was the Aerobatic Club/Warbirds aeros & display training weekend at Ohaktica (NZOH) and from left to right...
CT4B, RV6, Pitts S1, Yak 52 x 2, Pitts S2b, Thunder Mustang, Starduster, Decathlon, Giles G202
#3 is Ohakune with Mt Ruapehu in the background taken from Pitts S2b (ZKMAD)

tinpis
23rd Nov 2007, 20:48
...and a bloody good way to see Ohakuni ...at altitude at a good rate of knots..:hmm:

ForkTailedDrKiller
23rd Nov 2007, 21:07
Slackie

The Diamond Pornstar is indeed a "great" bit of gear, with lots of party tricks to keep its pilots amused.

"When the pilot retracted the gear ......... both engines stopped!"

NZ06AR
23rd Nov 2007, 21:24
The only thing that puts me off the DA42 is when i have seen what lighting dose to them... and the number of engine failures i here of them having.... Otherwise a very nice piece of kit indeed...

slackie
23rd Nov 2007, 22:28
TM...so what's the difference between a Harvard and a Wirraway? Or just different name? Sounds like the start of a joke, but really a serious question!

FTDK...yep..heard some pretty odd "features of performance" with the Pornstar...could start a whole new thread on that one! "The EMU decided to reduce the power on the 'good' engine also"
Apparently the engine out warning (that doesn't appear to be cancellable 'cos we hear it constantly when they sim asymetric:ugh:!!) is exactly the same sound as a Hughes 500 engine failure warning...which proves interesting being that there is also a couple of heli maintenance facilities at NZHN...had an interesting call from a H500 pilot immediately following a call from a Pornstar simulating once...the H500 pilot apparently need fairly urgent laundry facilities!!:mad::eek:

Tin...definitely steer clear of Ohakune during the ski season....too many Aucklanders attempting to recreate Ponslobby in the country!!

Bendo
24th Nov 2007, 01:22
Some shots from the last 10 years or so...

http://www.elliepants.com.au/IXPsunset1.JPG

http://www.elliepants.com.au/LVU%20&%20LVV%201.JPG

Grasscutters 1 & 2 (Timetofly and Buck Rogers) out playing. Shot from a Gazelle - every time I turned my body to shoot at the formation I bumped the control stick and turned us towards them :eek:

http://www.elliepants.com.au/CESSNA1851.JPG

Timetofly overtaking me... again

http://www.elliepants.com.au/baron_atlass.jpg

http://www.elliepants.com.au/TGL_head_on.jpg

Dixons Cider
24th Nov 2007, 05:53
The only thing that puts me off the DA42 is when i have seen what lighting dose to them

Why, what happens when you flick the switch and give the DA42 a dose of lights?

You can see it??

Tee Emm
24th Nov 2007, 07:03
TM...so what's the difference between a Harvard and a Wirraway? Or just different name? Sounds like the start of a joke, but really a serious question

Very little. Both came from a basic North American design I think. The Wirraway had a slightly more powerful engine which gave it a different sound to the distinctive "howl" of the Harvard or maybe it was the prop that made that Harvard racket. The Wirra also had a nasty wing drop at the stall although later versions had a modification on the leading edge to reduce the severity of the wing drop. The Wirra has a couple of bumps on top of the engine cowl area to accommodate two 0.303 calibre machine guns.

Tee Emm
24th Nov 2007, 08:14
Mustang A68-113 over Townsville Some years later this aircraft was bought by Ron Flockhart the British racing car driver. He lost control in IMC at low level at Kallista near the Dandenong Ranges in Melbourne while trying to fly VFR Moorabbin to Bankstown.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y25/HSWL/MustangoverTVL113.jpg

tipan13
24th Nov 2007, 09:00
What about this one ? any ideas.....
http://photos-a.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v133/84/23/766262003/n766262003_186900_4694.jpg

Mango
24th Nov 2007, 12:32
Tipan13, is that Darwin harbour looking at it from the south?

Warbo
24th Nov 2007, 22:52
Wirraway has a different shaped rudder to the Harvard as well

Rabbit 1
24th Nov 2007, 23:06
Taken at F330. South China Sea just after a typhoon had passed so the fishing vessels were out in force. Not much future if one is a squid in these waters.
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t38/temakin/PA070015.jpg

Hempy
25th Nov 2007, 02:01
great pic Rabbit 1 :ok::D

tinpis
25th Nov 2007, 02:25
Dunno if it was much modified airframe wise from a Wirraway but I have flown in a CA 28 Ceres and it was pretty predictable and docile.

http://www.aarg.com.au/images/ceresCA-28tn.gif

Hempy
25th Nov 2007, 04:15
Dunno if it was much modified airframe wise from a Wirraway but I have flown in a CA 28 Ceres and it was pretty predictable and docile.

The design that emerged, while superficially similar to the Wirraway, was really a new type that used some Wirraway components rather than a conversion. The only major components used in both types without alteration were the tail group and the landing gear. The fuselage was completely new, with a 41 cubic ft (1.16 cubic m) hopper installed between the engine and the high-mounted single-seat cockpit. The Wirraway wing was substantially altered for use in the Ceres. The outer wing panels had slotted trailing-edge flaps, fixed leading-edge slats and increased span and area compared to the Wirraway, while the centre-section was structurally altered to accommodate the hopper, the higher weights of the Ceres, the different flaps (the Wirraway had split flaps) and the new type's fixed landing gear as opposed to the Wirraway's retractable gear (the same landing gear legs were used however). The engine was the same as that fitted to the Wirraway, a Pratt & Whitney R-1340 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pratt_%26_Whitney_R-1340) driving a three-bladed variable-pitch propeller.source (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAC_Ceres), if you believe Wiki

tinpis
25th Nov 2007, 21:00
Thanks Hempy

Im thinking back to James Aviations Ceres based at Taupo in the 60's
Anyone got a photo?

tinpis
26th Nov 2007, 05:23
Toolow ....thats her...thank you ..:{

multime
26th Nov 2007, 11:24
Bit late i know.but the airstrip is Useless Loop???
Used to fly the papers on sunday and a doc run when all the girls had run out of Antidipressants.
Cheers M:ok:

the wizard of auz
26th Nov 2007, 21:19
Tipan13, looks like the Broome-Curtin track, about twenty miles to run Curtin. possibly the gulf near Derby.

Jabawocky
26th Nov 2007, 21:34
:ok:Have not seen anyone get this one yet? Was it too simple?

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showpost.php?p=3721668&postcount=1869

J

ForkTailedDrKiller
27th Nov 2007, 03:34
Jaba, I thought some desert rat would nail that one quick smart!

Need a hint?

KAWOBAT
27th Nov 2007, 04:09
Hmm.... Looks a bit like YNUB to me.

ForkTailedDrKiller
27th Nov 2007, 04:21
There you go Jaba - told you so!

http://www.fototime.com/4EFCA55333F38FF/standard.jpg

You sure you are getting enough info there?

Chadzat
27th Nov 2007, 04:27
Hey Doc, I see a spare bit of panel just above your 430 in the stack where you can put another GPS. I don't think you have enough! :ok:

Jabawocky
27th Nov 2007, 04:27
Talk about "Information Overload"

And at 1500AGL the PC cuts out the porno channel and back to approach mode with approach plates, maps, weather.......all automatically!:E

No wonder the FTDK is your favourite machine:}

Chimbu chuckles
27th Nov 2007, 05:08
U/S DME too...how DO you get by?:}

tinpis
27th Nov 2007, 05:56
What IS all that junk for? :uhoh:

Jabawocky
27th Nov 2007, 06:15
For when the prehistoric steam driven stuf fails...........as is shown by the U/S DME and a recent air pump and associated A/H did.

Inflight entertainment;)

J:}

slackie
27th Nov 2007, 07:19
Yeh...you really gotta wonder why the aircraft has windows (the clear ones on the computer software!!!) at all:}:}

Jabawocky
27th Nov 2007, 07:30
Slackie you ding-a-ling,

The windoze are for taking pictures through, how else ya gonna post em on here!:}

Creampuff
27th Nov 2007, 08:38
Hmmmm. How does that scan go?

Little GPS (control yoke): checked

Big GPS (centre control column): checked

Certified GPS (dash-mounted): checked

Outside view and other knobs and dials: cursory glance

Little GPS…

Jabawocky
27th Nov 2007, 09:27
Creamie:D.....you are not the FTDK's wife in the back seat are you?:}

Actually the tools at your finger tips particularly when looking at in flight diversions or an IFR upgrade or any other aspect certainly take a lot of the chances for error out of the equation.

Sure you can do it all on paper but here is how I saw it work in reality, and its pretty good. 296 set to destination, at a button push most info readily available. The 430 set up for a direct or IFR route and coupled to the A/P. The PC which is coupled to the 296 then gives you real time WAC moving map, plus all the Jepp charts and data and real time position on all the Jepp charts too.

So let me be cheeky here, say you wanted the FLIGHTWATCH frequency for where ever you are, click with the stylus pen and there you are. Of course you have to manually dial up the frequency:8, but hey you have to have some work to do! Then you can try calling them. OK better still very good when VFR and not in radar coverage because your position is on the ERC charts etc as well.

I did get to watch Forkie do a leg or two IFR and the cockpit workload without all the Jepp stuff all around the cockpit was really very low fuss and high on "situational awareness", contrary to what some of you may be thinking. Should the tech stuff go U/S the Jepp bag was within reach and you could revert to the old paper stuff.

Some of you may slag off at this, but in reality it was a damned fine way to fly as it actually meant you looked out the front and sides a heck of a lot more.

ForkTailedDrKiller
27th Nov 2007, 09:27
Tin

The big one in the middle is my Multi-Function Display - eflightbag, Jepp Flitedeck, JeppView, eWAC charts, weather radar, lightning display, email, internet, computer games, inflite porn.

tinpis
27th Nov 2007, 09:33
You find you need to know all this stuff at LESS THAN 3 MILES a minute?

My god,what do you do for the rest of the time?

Jabawocky
27th Nov 2007, 09:40
Gives you more time to look out the window!

See and be Seen apparently!

Like cruise control or air con in your car, so you have to have it? NO. Is it a nicer trip with it? Yes!

J

ForkTailedDrKiller
27th Nov 2007, 09:57
Tin, I've done plenty of it with just a wandering ADF needle - but a boy has to have some toys to play with otherwise its just plain BORING!

Oz_TB10
27th Nov 2007, 10:02
Still cooking up a storm next to yppf?

Jabawocky
27th Nov 2007, 10:15
OK anyone know what this strip is called and what its in aid of?

I have a rough idea where it was....., and I did not take notes, but it sure is isolated!

http://file039b.bebo.com/8/large/2007/11/27/11/4525920200a6219257267l.jpg

Creampuff
27th Nov 2007, 18:27
Re the ‘toys’ Jabba – I’m just jealous!

If you ever find one that actually contacts Flightwatch, let me know …

Peter Fanelli
27th Nov 2007, 20:38
At first glance I thought it looked like Clifton Hills, but now I'm not so sure. The homestead is too far away from the strip, mind you they could have built a new homestead since I was last there.

I've never seen those channel run strips from that high up :)

Chimbu chuckles
27th Nov 2007, 21:18
X marks the spot Jaba?...right smack dab in the middle of the GAFA:}

ForkTailedDrKiller
27th Nov 2007, 21:56
Jaba, was that the one in the middle of the Woomera Restricted Area?

I suspect I have the technology to pin-point it. My recollection is that we did mark it as a waypoint and I should be able to get that to come up on an eWAC chart - Will have a look tonight.

Desert Flower
27th Nov 2007, 22:09

At first glance I was thinking Andamooka, but now I'm not so sure.

DF.

Jabawocky
27th Nov 2007, 23:38
Forkie, the ones in the middle of the Woomera regio were the day before, and yes we marked them, they were also around that mine site we could not identify either.

Will did out the time stamps so you can get the Lat & Long from the GPS snail trail.

Now some of you lot were questioning the need for all these gadgets......its so we can post pictures and entertain your good selves with the Pick the Airstrip game!

As for your suggestions....dont ask me what the strip is called.....we dont know, its not on any maps we could find!:eek:

J

PS Not near Andamooka

Woomera
27th Nov 2007, 23:46
"...the Woomera Restricted Area?"

:confused: :confused:

kimwestt
27th Nov 2007, 23:49
About 25 se of Derby - King Sound is the water body ?

slackie
28th Nov 2007, 00:01
Jaba/FTDK...it's really just toy envy!! There ain't much to look at in my cockpit except the world going round and round outside...in fact if you spend too much time on the instrument scan the world DOES end up going round and round...
http://www.jetphotos.net/img/2/6/1/3/80686_1117870316.jpg

Actually, the benefits of having a GPS at hand is increased in the Pitts 'cos trying to fold a map in cramped confines is next to impossible. I've got a small Garmin eTrex Legend that I use (has manually entered all aerodromes) but I'm seriously considering something with a decent aviation database.

Blue Sky Baron
28th Nov 2007, 00:20
Two things come to mind looking at that pic.
Firstly, you should get that oil pressure gauge looked at! :E
Secondly, thats the first placard I've seen that states:
"Aviod Protracted Rearward Flight" - I just do that automatically, the Baron would seriously not like it!! :=

BSB

185skywagon
28th Nov 2007, 00:21
Jabawocky,
looks a bit like Cordillo Downs to me.

morno
28th Nov 2007, 01:22
BSB, it's one of them fancy oil pressure guages that always keeps you happy, :E

ForkTailedDrKiller
28th Nov 2007, 01:40
PF, you are indeed warm. We passed within about 30 nm of Clifton Hills, but it should have been out the righthand window and that pic looks to have been taken out the left ..... and the watercourse is wrong for Clifton Hills.

I had to go home to get some papers so I had a look at the snail trail on the eWACs. I can see nothing on WACs between Coober Pedy and Birdsville that could be what is in that pic.

tinpis
28th Nov 2007, 02:00
Seems like mulloch heaps to me...um.... Mintabie ..Lambina?

Mark1234
28th Nov 2007, 02:49
Is that big plastic bit in the Pitts for sticking the arresti to? In which case, is is accidental that it covers the g-meter, or there to stop you scaring yourself :D

slackie
28th Nov 2007, 03:00
Mark....Yeh, that's for the sequence card...I tend to put the card high on the plastic so that I can still see the g-meter...even though I never look at the g-meter 'til back on the ground...go figure?! It's pretty obvious when you're pulling too much G...everything goes grey --> black !!!:zzz: Or very red (seen Cloud Dancer?? That's not too realistic!!)

The Pitts cockpit isn't too ergonomic...given a blank canvas there's quite a bit I'd change.

Baron...and if you look closely there's a Beechcraft logo on the triple gauge (oil press, oil temp, cht) - not original equipment. Photo was taken a while ago.

Ultralights
28th Nov 2007, 07:22
http://Pamuva1.smugmug.com/photos/220916890-L.jpg

http://Pamuva1.smugmug.com/photos/220917061-L.jpg

Pseudonymn
28th Nov 2007, 08:01
Ultralights...

Over Wollongong? :confused:

Been a long time since I was airborne over there.

NGPC12
28th Nov 2007, 09:13
Looks to be just north of Wollongong to me. Lake Illawarra in the background.

apache
28th Nov 2007, 11:07
I didn't think that Cordillo Downs had a cross strip - I stand to be corrected on that though.....

I would have guessed at Durham Downs, but there isn't enough bush to the east. Next guess would be either Ethadunna(sp?) or maybe even mungerannie...but it is missing the ranges to the west. or maybe even Nappa Marie ?

Durham Downs about 45nm N of Ballera. Mungerannie about 92nm East north East of Leigh Creek. Clifton hills about 170nm SSW of Birdsville. Nappa Marie about 25 nm ENE of Innamincka

(how am I doin here DF? distances about right??? been a LONG time!).... petal!

Section28- BE
28th Nov 2007, 22:28
Pure shot in the dark- not sure from and to where you are tracking (probably should read the related threads)...............

Roseberth Station - Not the house strip!!!!!

????
28-BE

Pinky the pilot
29th Nov 2007, 02:20
Jabawocky; I'm with Apache on this one. Possibly Etadunna.

Not Roseberth! That strip does'nt stand out from the surrounding terrain.
I never was able to visually locate that place until almost over the top!!!:mad:

Jabawocky
29th Nov 2007, 03:12
Can't even find that on the map either, until Forkie can take the time stamp of the pic and extract the lat & long......I'll take your word for it.

Sure is a whole lot of not much around there!

J

ForkTailedDrKiller
29th Nov 2007, 10:57
Nah, we's wasn't nowhere near Etadunna! We wasn't even on that map.

PS: All that nav gear doesn't lie!

Desert Flower
30th Nov 2007, 06:55
(how am I doin here DF? distances about right??? been a LONG time!).... petal!

Sweetums, I think you're doing pretty well! ;)

DF.

Peter Fanelli
30th Nov 2007, 11:31
Nah, we's wasn't nowhere near Etadunna! We wasn't even on that map.

How good was your track keeping? :}

morno
30th Nov 2007, 11:41
I reckon given they had more technology than the A380 on that Bonanza, you'd hope it's within bloody 2ft!!

morno

Jabawocky
30th Nov 2007, 20:22
PF

Fair enough question, and Morno pretty much answered it. We knew where we were and where we were going........only the fact I did not take note of where (coordinates) that pic was taken AND its not on any WAC nor any other place we know of.

So when the official information fails you, best to turn to the "Fountain of all Knowlege" commonly known as PPRuNE. And its failing us too! We thought all the experts on here would have nailed this one by now.

Has me stuffed, but I am sure we will ID it sooner or later!

Jealousy is a curse morno:E:E :ok:

Towering Q
30th Nov 2007, 22:37
While you're all pondering that one, a quick trip back to the west coast.

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k176/towering_q/IMG_1356.jpg

Desert Flower
30th Nov 2007, 22:55
Has me stuffed, but I am sure we will ID it sooner or later!

I'm still going for somewhere around Woomera. Maralinga maybe? Can't remember for sure, but were Maralinga & Emu Field one & the same or were they two separate ones?

DF.

morno
30th Nov 2007, 23:21
Jaba, I wouldn't mind that computer with all the eWAC's, but 1 GPS is enough for me, :ok:.

morno

ForkTailedDrKiller
30th Nov 2007, 23:37
"but 1 GPS is enough for me"

Morno, true - until you have a total electrical failure in IMC ( I have had 2 in the last 10 years). The Garmin 296 will run for 12 - 14 hrs on its battery - will take me anywhere I want to go - and I would have no hesitation in flying an RNAV Appr with it, if I had to.

I just set the 296 to the departure airfield on departure so I have "distance from" until done with that - then I set it on the destination airfield. In conjunction with the Shadin digital fuel flow, lets me see how I am travelling against fuel reserves. This is handy as I often fly long legs, or "out and backs".

It was this combination that let me recently take on Tennant Ck to Broome direct (686 nm across the Tanami), with confidence that I had good IFR reserves on arrival Broome.

The Motion Computing LS800 on the yoke has JeppView electronic flightbag and FliteDeck, plus all of the Ozzie WACs, ERCs, TACs, VNCs, and VTCs in electronic format running in Fugawi Moving Map. It also has Next 3 high speed broadband anywhere it can get a decent signal - for weather updates, flightplanning, weather radar sites etc, email, movies, in-flight porn etc. Very handy bit of kit!

bushy
1st Dec 2007, 01:07
There are lots more strips out there that are not marked on WAC, or any other charts. I used to mark them on the WAC as I spotted them. Some of the pilots who fly that area regularly will know where that one is and what it is about. Some only use the GPS and do not know what state they are in, only that the GPS tells them they are XXX miles from their destination. WAC charts are fairly accurate with natural features, but usually do not have airstrips marked. They also do not show lakes that came with the last big rain, or roads (sometimes even towns) that have been built or altered since the last WAC was printed.
In the early days of survey flying we used a "photo index" which we got from the map makers. It is 1:250,000 and even shows vegetation which was often useful for navigation.
We used to look out of the windows in those days.

Tiger 77
1st Dec 2007, 01:24
While you're all pondering that one, a quick trip back to the west coast.

Looks like Dongara.

Tiger.

Peter Fanelli
1st Dec 2007, 01:54
It was this combination that let me recently take on Tennant Ck to Broome direct (686 nm across the Tanami),

Only ever went out in that area once during my flying days. Tennant Creek to Kunnunurra, at night. Geeez it gets dark out there.
Nothing but the reassuring glow of NPD's exhaust pipes to keep us company. Not even a light on when the ADF swung passing Hooker Creek.

Back in the days when GPS didn't exist yet.

archangel7
1st Dec 2007, 01:54
Does anyone have any "old school" pics of Essendon airport? or even old pics the shrikes at GAM?

ForkTailedDrKiller
1st Dec 2007, 02:17
That pic was taken somewhere along the CBP-BDV track. Haven't yet looked at the Garmin 296 to pin point exactly when/where.

WAC3354 Tarcoola
http://www.fototime.com/90D079B438E4064/standard.jpg

WAC 3342 Coopers Creek
http://www.fototime.com/D778210EC5A97E8/standard.jpg

PF - How good was your track keeping?

Depends on whose flying!

Jaba: I reckon +/- 10 to 20 miles (just look at the track from Coober Pedy to the middle of Lake Eyre!)
George: +/- 1 m (he flew from the middle of Lake Eyre to Birdsville!)
Dr: see "George" (I only do take-offs and landings these days!)

OZBUSDRIVER
1st Dec 2007, 03:22
Nilpinna (28D 07' 05'S 140D 35' 47'E) You would have just flown over the old Ghan railway line before you took the shot.

EDIT- made a mistake on reading your map. Didn't look at lake Eyre so had another go:uhoh: nowhere near Julia Creek on the first go, Is it?:uhoh: Soon as I looked again at my map and your photo I knew I stuffed it. Your quick, FTDK. That post was only up for less than a minute.

tinpis
1st Dec 2007, 03:32
Just as I suspected....all that junk in the cockpit and no bugger knows where they are.

Jabawocky
1st Dec 2007, 03:35
LMAO......you are a funny bugger Forkie:}:}

+/- 20 miles:} That was actually GEORGE flying, the lines are straight!!

If it was hand flown it might look more like a pre-schoolers colouring in book!:uhoh:

ForkTailedDrKiller
1st Dec 2007, 03:39
OBD - I just knew that some clever b*gger in here would pick it. Nilpinna does fit the picture nicely.

Jaba will shout you a carton next time he sees you!

What it is? A cattle station?

Jabawocky
1st Dec 2007, 03:44
OZBUSDRIVER if you make it to BrisVegas for the PPRUNE bash or any time I'll buy you a beer!

You are correct we passed the old railway and a few minutes later the strip.

So what is it in aid of!

I think thats a record for the longest time taken to name a strip! And with a lot of clues! Top of the class to you!:D

Pseudonymn
1st Dec 2007, 05:29
Jaba, I wouldn't mind that computer with all the eWAC's, but 1 GPS is enough for me, :ok: .

morno

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f264/jenbean76/Chieftain028.jpg

Really, morno? :}

Howard Hughes
1st Dec 2007, 05:42
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c292/Howard3200/15072007.jpg

Another day at the office, that's my place just down there, can you see it?;)

morno
1st Dec 2007, 05:49
Pseudo, I wasn't actually the one flying there, :}. Best you speak to the Captain of the day about that. The one on my side was simply so that he didn't get us lost, :ok:.

morno

Towering Q
1st Dec 2007, 05:52
If I can just get a word in......Tiger 77, spot on.:ok:

Howard...that beats the hell out of looking at a 402 nacelle all day!

Pseudonymn
1st Dec 2007, 05:55
morno,

so what was wrong with the one in the dash?

Pseuds. :ok:

OZBUSDRIVER
1st Dec 2007, 05:55
Jaba and FTDK, sorry guys. I have never been there. So I am not worthy of the beer. just good use of a good map program.

Once you put your track in I just worked along the rough track until I found station that had the rough features. Runway between two creeks with homestead on east side of creek. Then just used the 3D view with my satellite data to get the same perspective as the photo to confirm it.

Google says it is interesting for- A previous owner was the subject of a Slim Dusty ballad. A complex of mound springs. And , a possible find of diamonds.

The station is still in operation so I guess that is why the strip looks in good nik.

PS If ever up that way would like to share a beer and a yarn:ok: Beer and Steak at the Brekkie? Doesn't get any better than that:ok:

Jabawocky
1st Dec 2007, 06:59
Pseuds.....that one looks like its from Tinpis's era :} and too complicated!

OZBUSDRIVER you just lost a beer out of that carton, the Lat and Long you posted is way to the East of our track. The comment about the location past the old railway suggests you have it nailed.

Nice pic HH, could you circle your house for us!

Jabawocky
1st Dec 2007, 07:03
OK anyone know where this lot is.......a certain J* captain is the proud owner of the Blue and Yellow one on the end so no spoiling it!

http://file037b.bebo.com/1/large/2007/12/01/07/4525920200a6252755332l.jpg

Howard Hughes
1st Dec 2007, 08:14
Well Jabba, if you look to the right of the spinner there are three points of land, the new house will be on the closest one!:ok:

Ultralights
1st Dec 2007, 08:23
is thet yellow and blu aircraft at the far end a Savannah?

liklik_balus
1st Dec 2007, 09:23
Not ugly enough! (of course those of us who are plane-less are just jealous of any owner)

Probably an X-Air

Bruce

Jabawocky
1st Dec 2007, 10:04
3 x Savanagh's 1 x Plastic Plane!

Ultralights
1st Dec 2007, 10:45
i will be ordering a savannah in Feb. already have sourced floats for it! :ok:
just hope my Vampire doesn't get Jealous.

OZBUSDRIVER
1st Dec 2007, 10:54
Crikeys, checked that meself. Ahh try 28D 29.042'S 135D 54.763'E that should get us in the right position. That other set is not even remotely close. Lesson learnt for this little beasty...finger trouble and not double checking is a no-no:}

Those other co-ords are for one of the gas fields around Moomba?????? Glad it's not me navigating.

Jabawocky
1st Dec 2007, 11:18
Oz

Whats a few hundred mils between friends!:}

Thats the one! You get the lolly pop!

We have some more to trickle feed out over time! See how you go with the next one;)

J

Lasiorhinus
2nd Dec 2007, 07:20
Does anyone know what causes propellers to look like venetian blinds when you take photos of them with mobile phone cameras?

Desert Flower
2nd Dec 2007, 08:40
Does anyone know what causes propellers to look like venetian blinds when you take photos of them with mobile phone cameras?

Shutter speed most likely.

DF.

ForkTailedDrKiller
2nd Dec 2007, 09:04
Easy ...... but interesting none-the-less!

http://www.fototime.com/2076A66213DC45C/standard.jpg

Jabawocky
2nd Dec 2007, 09:06
The planet MARS ?

Tinpis won't believe how far all that space junk will take you with O2!:}

Mind you.....its a bit like Mars.....quite a few Martians live there!:ooh:

J

Joe Yellow
2nd Dec 2007, 10:22
FTDK,
Coober Pedy by any chance?.

ForkTailedDrKiller
2nd Dec 2007, 10:26
Yes, Joe. You are correct, of course. That is one weird looking place.

The land of Oz's acne outbreak!

Peter Fanelli
2nd Dec 2007, 17:29
Of course it could just as easily be Andamooka or Mintabie too.

kiwi chick
2nd Dec 2007, 18:51
Hey, what is that place?!

I just Google Earthed it to have a nosey, it's weird. What are the little white things?! :confused:

Is it a mining or quarry town of somesort?

reynoldsno1
2nd Dec 2007, 19:11
It's all part of the GAFA - the Great Australian F*ck All ....

ForkTailedDrKiller
2nd Dec 2007, 20:00
Kiwi ch(u)ck (note my clever impersonation of a kiwi accent), its an opal mining area at Coober Pedy in northern SA. This one puts a bit more perspective on it.

http://www.fototime.com/9F61A22FFC7CC69/standard.jpg

My understanding is that the little white piles of dirt are where they have put a drilling rig down to see what's there - and found nothing to get excited about. Where they have found something, there will be a mine shaft or more substantial digging.

Peter Fanelli
2nd Dec 2007, 22:59
What are the little white things?!

Earth zits.

Actually, they are tourist traps and they work very well.

ABX
2nd Dec 2007, 23:59
Hey Doc,

Kiwi ch(u)ck (note my clever impersonation of a kiwi accent)

Must be my weird sense of humour, that one really gave me a laugh.

Cheers,

Dixons Cider
3rd Dec 2007, 06:15
Dear Mr Corky McFuz

Enjoyed your earlier photos of strips etc on the coast. If you have any more, please share them.

Its been too long for me since I poked around that part of the world, but seeing some of those shots fires up the enthusiasm juices again. Might even get meself current again on my next leave trip back!

Good onya!

Cheers Dixon.

Corkey McFuz
3rd Dec 2007, 07:47
Well since you asked so nicely I'll see what I can find :ok:

Corkey.

Corkey McFuz
3rd Dec 2007, 09:11
Ok well at the request of Mr Dixon, here are some more pictures from the wild west coast :}

See if you can name some locations here...

http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee83/mrmcfuz/mini-P1030235.jpg

http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee83/mrmcfuz/mini-P1030260.jpg

http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee83/mrmcfuz/mini-19380014.jpg

http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee83/mrmcfuz/mini-19360023.jpg

5 An easy one I would hope (previous one not being too far from here)
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee83/mrmcfuz/mini-19360010.jpg

http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee83/mrmcfuz/mini-P1030118.jpg

http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee83/mrmcfuz/mini-P1030129.jpg

http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee83/mrmcfuz/mini-P1030132.jpg

http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee83/mrmcfuz/mini-P1030175.jpg

7 & 8 are in the exact same place, I know there are a few people on here who can give me the exact location :ok:

Enjoy and the the answers poor in !

Corkey. :}

ForkTailedDrKiller
3rd Dec 2007, 09:16
Show-off!

MCKES
3rd Dec 2007, 10:41
That looks like some great flying Corkey beautiful.:ok:

PLovett
3rd Dec 2007, 10:47
Yeah but the go-around possibilities in the last one look limited.:uhoh:

ForkTailedDrKiller
3rd Dec 2007, 11:13
I love a sunburned country
A land of sweeping plains
Of rugged mountain ranges
Of drought and flooding rain
I love her far horizons
I love her jeweled sea
Her beauty and her terror
‘Tis the wide brown land for me

Launchpad McQuack
3rd Dec 2007, 12:37
No.5 has got to be Milford Sound...wish I'd flown in there when I had the chance.

Nos. 6 & 8 I'm going for Fox Glacier, and 7 Mt Tasman....

Great Pics Corkey, keep 'em coming

LP

Dixons Cider
3rd Dec 2007, 12:59
Good onya Corky, you made me day!!

Some goodies there, I'll give it a crack, but its been a while mind you..

1. The background looks a bit like Haast - but its not! The Arawhata maybe?
2. Jackson Bay(ish)?
3. dunno
4. Lake Quill
5. Good old Mildew (thanks for the easy one!)
6. Always get Fox and Franz mixed up! think its Fox Glacier
7. the rock
8. Giant peice of dried up marshmellow
9. Fox strip

Thanks alot Corky

slackie
3rd Dec 2007, 17:06
I love a sunburned country
A land of sweeping plains
Of rugged mountain ranges
Of drought and flooding rain
I love her far horizons
I love her jeweled sea
Her beauty and her terror
‘Tis the wide brown land for me

Good of you to burst into song Doc! What a wonderful voice!!!! A little out of context maybe??? Or were you re-affirming your Australianism!!

PitterPatter
3rd Dec 2007, 21:01
1. Neils Beach
2. Barn Bay?
3. Cascade
9. Fox strip.

Corkey McFuz
3rd Dec 2007, 21:16
Launchpad
No.5 has got to be Milford Sound...wish I'd flown in there when I had the chance.

Nos. 6 & 8 I'm going for Fox Glacier, and 7 Mt Tasman....

Ya 5 is milford, 6 is the fox glacier (easy to mix up), 8 is a picture of the top of the fox glacier and 7 is a picture of Mt Tasman (and Cook) but 7 & 8 are overhead a busy landing area for the choppers and ski planes. Anyone have any idea the name ??

Dixon
1. The background looks a bit like Haast - but its not! The Arawhata maybe?
2. Jackson Bay(ish)?
3. dunno
4. Lake Quill
5. Good old Mildew (thanks for the easy one!)
6. Always get Fox and Franz mixed up! think its Fox Glacier
7. the rock
8. Giant peice of dried up marshmellow
9. Fox strip

1. Yes ! Well thats the river, the little settlement is called Neils Beach. Didn't think it would be that easy ! :D
2. No.
3. No.
Ok 2 & 3 were in the last lot I posted a few pages back (with names), just different photos...
2 is kinda short (around 200m I think) and I'm not aware of anyone landing there recently, the river washed away some length at the south western end and someone kindly put up a pole in the middle too :(

4. Yes ! flying round in lake Quill
5. Ya
6. Yip
7. Na
8. Almost :ok:
9. Yes !

Well done :D

Corkey McFuz
3rd Dec 2007, 21:20
Pitterpatter - Yes all correct !

bushy
4th Dec 2007, 01:22
You have to look out the window over there. Just following the GPS often does not work.
I remember, a Long time ago, flying a tripacer through the Haast pass underneath solid cloud. Fortunately we had talked to the local aviators before we did it, and they were greatly amused when they saw the straight line we had drawn on our WAC chart. (that's what they teach you at flying schools.)
To see some real bush flying I can recommend the video's "The venison hunters" and "the last great adventure" by videosouth.

Dixons Cider
4th Dec 2007, 11:00
Corkster

Ya 5 is milford, 6 is the fox glacier (easy to mix up), 8 is a picture of the top of the fox glacier and 7 is a picture of Mt Tasman (and Cook) but 7 & 8 are overhead a busy landing area for the choppers and ski planes. Anyone have any idea the name ??

Its been a while and I'm racking my brain...think it is 'XXX icefall',... and the only one I can think of is Hochstetter(?). Is that it?

If not, where is the Hochstetter Icefall...or have I completely lost the plot?

Dixons Cider
4th Dec 2007, 11:14
nah think I'm on the wrong side of the divide....sun has fried me brain....going to have a looksee on google earth...

Corkey McFuz
4th Dec 2007, 19:48
yea you are on the wrong side of the divide. The Hochstetter runs from the Grand Plateau down onto the Tasman glacier- I think :uhoh:. The place in question is a big flat area by the top of the fox ice fall called the "fox xxxx" ;)

tinpis
5th Dec 2007, 01:38
slackie the old controllers name was Bill I think :hmm:

tinpis
5th Dec 2007, 02:20
somewhere in TLOTU

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y150/tinpis/tlotu2.jpghttp://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y150/tinpis/tlotu.jpg

notmyC150v2
5th Dec 2007, 04:51
Just some wild speculation here, but do you think there is any chance that the designer of the Cirrus CAPS coming up with his idea not long after being asked to land at that strip??? :eek::eek:

"No, I think I'll just go up a few thousand feet and pop the chute" as opposed to attempting to land and dumping a sh!t.

slackie
5th Dec 2007, 04:57
Tin....definitely before my time!!:}