PDA

View Full Version : Flying jobs in Scotland

AFFLECK
14th Aug 2006, 10:24
Does anyone out there know the odds of getting a base in Scotland after applying to the likes of Ryanair or Easyjet?

Are there any other suggestions for airlines north of the border recruiting for a new fATPL person.

Thanks.

:confused:

Craggenmore
14th Aug 2006, 11:43
Easyjet: If you have requested a Scottish base you should get it 100%.

Ryanair: Don't know!

try Loganair and if you feel like paying 20k for a rating maybe FlyGlobespan.

cavortingcheetah
14th Aug 2006, 12:12
:rolleyes:

These wallahs always used to be shy of flight crew in Dundee.

ScotAirways has no current vacancies for pilots. We do accept CV’s in writing to the Chief Pilot.
Please do not expect acknowledgement and please do not call unless asked to do so.
Minimum Requirements: Frozen ATPL with IR and MCC.
Postal Address: Pilot Recruitment, ScotAirways, Cambridge Airport, Cambridge, CB5 8RT

Mind you, you have to lower your sights from jet to DO 328 and probably live near Dundee.
It won't help with the airline but it might endear you to the locals if you studied the following link:

http://members.aol.com/Skyelander/dundee.html

Good luck in your venture north of the border.;)

AFFLECK
14th Aug 2006, 12:56
Thanks for the advice, I'm ideally looking for something at the southern end of Scotland. Glasgow/Edinburgh or Prestwick (although will have a look at Dundee).

Are Easyjet looking mainly for Inverness/Aberdeen people, or is a Glasgow base obtainable?

Do you think it would seriously hinder an application if you specifically wanted a certain base?

:)

buzzc152
14th Aug 2006, 13:05
BMI regional would probably happily let you stay in Scotland, albeit Aberdeen.

Callsign Kilo
14th Aug 2006, 15:21
Affleck, living in Scotland myself (albeit I am not Scottish) I too have researched this topic (however mostly for a GLA/EDI/PIK base), here is what I have concluded.....people please feel free to add to my findings or shout out if I am talking rubbish!! :hmm:

Air Contractors - Irish freight airline with ATR 42/72s based at Glasgow. A low houred fATPL friend of mine recently applied to them and recieved a reply stating that a minimum of 500hrs on a/c type was required before you could even be considered.

BMI Regional - main base at ABZ, benchmark figure of 500 hrs min quoted, unless you get picked out of an integrated course. Haven't heard of much deviation from this.

Flybe- A recent talk headed by the airline in conjunction with FTE in Jerez, suggested that the airline was particularly interested in recruiting for its bases at GLA, EDI and BHD. Not sure if this means they are actively recruiting for these bases from the likes of FTE (or insert any other name of integrated school) only. Say they also consider modular students, however I have nothing to back this up!

Ryanair - I know of one guy who had studied his ATPLs at the same college as myself was given PIK after a 6 month stint in Germany. Another Scottish guy who I trained with who has started with FR has also been quoted this time scale.

Easyjet/Thomas Cook/My Travel/Jet 2 - All I know is that you probably need to take the CTC route to get into these carriers. After that I understand chances are considered to be pretty good for a Scottish base.

Fly Globespan - Upped the anti to 500hrs min 737 time or 1000hrs min turboprop time, however has taken low houred cadets. However the only one I know of went the OAT/GECAT route!

Loganair - State min requirements are an fATPL and MCC :hmm: Or is that an fATPL and MCC from an integrated school? Who knows? You now have to front the money for your TR and base training now I believe! And until you have these boxes ticked, the job offer is conditional.

Gama - Charter/Air Ambulance operator out of GLA/EDI/ABZ using the King Air. As they are multi crew I have been told low hour candidates are considered and bonded to something like a wopping 19k TR for the Be200.

Hope this helps and I hope it is accurate. It is what I have been told anyway! :p Best of luck, CK

captwannabe
14th Aug 2006, 16:01
Please feel free to shout at me if I am talking rubbish here too!

Air Contractors aren't recruiting at the moment.

FlyGlobespan are currently fully crewed.

Thrusthold
14th Aug 2006, 16:23
Hi CaptW.

Not sure if you have looked but Flybe are probably your best bet. I know we are continually recruiting (slots and TRE dependant it seems). We are very short of people in general, not to mention the Scottish bases. If successful you would def get an Edi and Gla base if requested flying the Dash 8.

Can't talk with any great authority about the rest but as far as I can see no airlines at the moment are fully crewed!! They just need experienced, Type rated or Captains. I do know that the Charters My Travel, Thomas Cook etc... have just started their recruitment and some have scottish bases (sometimes summer only)

Best of luck

Feel free to PM me if you need any other advice

Thrust

smith
14th Aug 2006, 21:54
Think you may be cutting your nose off by restricting yourself initially to your base, getting a foot in the door is difficult enough without restricting your geographical location, could make it even more difficult to get in. On saying that the Scottish bases are the ones usually quite vulnerable to low crewing, don't know if its because suthern poofs don't want to move up north or crew up here are required to help out at the busier bases down south.

Crewing an aircraft these days is a very cosmopolitan afair, I flew Loganair "Scotland's Airline" on Saturday there from Kirkwall to EDI, the captain was American or Canadian, the F/O was fom Brunei and the lone Stewardess was from Sweden. Personally I feel that a airline branding itsself as Scotlands Airline would be far more quaint for foreign tourists landing in Scotland to hear a Scottish accent over the PA, I do also believe that the right person for the job should be recruited irrespective of the accent of their voice.

Mister Geezer
14th Aug 2006, 22:48
the lone Stewardess was from Sweden

A Scottish accent would be the last of my worries!!! ;)

smith
14th Aug 2006, 23:08
Actually have seen brawer before, but she was a nice lass lol

shedrule
15th Aug 2006, 21:50
[QUOTE=cavortingcheetah]:It won't help with the airline but it might endear you to the locals if you studied the following link:
QUOTE]

What??:confused:

raviolis
15th Aug 2006, 22:13
[quote=shedrule][quote=cavortingcheetah]:It won't help with the airline but it might endear you to the locals if you studied the following link:
QUOTE]

or maybe this

http://www.glasgowsurvival.co.uk/

:ok:

John_LH
28th Feb 2007, 17:36
Hi all, have done a search about training in Scotland and have found that tayflight seem wuite popular. However, I can't find any information about people gaining airline positions after training in Scotland, or how training at Scottish fto's is seen by airlines. Anybody able to shed light on this?

Cheers, John

Luke SkyToddler
28th Feb 2007, 23:37
While it's true that Scottish operators like to employ Scottish people where possible, I don't think a single one of them gives a monkeys about where you trained (luckily for you - because Tayflite is a disorganized rip off IMHO), however if truth be known there's sod all opportunities for 200 hour types to get airline jobs in Scotland.

If you don't mind throwing some obscene and foolish sums of money at a nasty buy a type rating / pay for line training / no guarantee of a job at the end kind of a scheme, then I guess Logan are your boys - but why anyone would want to spend £20 grand on a Saab rating when they could practically have a B737 or A320 for the same money beats me. Scotairways and Highland love to hire local FI's but realistically they'll always hire someone from elsewhere if they've got 1000 hours and the other guy hasn't. BMI Regional, Globespan and the jet operators in general are not really first-job material and very tough nuts to crack unless jet type rated and experienced and/or shed loads of hours on turboprops (although there was some link up between OATS and BMI Regional at one stage I'm not sure if that's still ongoing).

If you must must must train / live / work in Scotland then I'd recommend doing the CPL and FI thing with Tayside Aviation, it's a tried and tested way into the airlines that has worked for hundreds of people over the years (although when the time comes I'd still rather take a few weeks away and do my IR at a proper flying school down south somewhere).

MIKECR
1st Mar 2007, 09:17
I was more than happy with my experience of tayflite. I also found them conderably cheaper than tayside for cpl training.

gdnhalley
1st Mar 2007, 12:38
I was also more than happy with Tayflite and now fly with other ex Tayflite pupils who had good experiences there as well, also they have all been very competent and professional pilots.

MIKECR
1st Mar 2007, 19:44
Honiley,

Is it not the case that Logan are still making people pay for TR's, line training, base training etc etc?? If so, I wouldnt be splashing out more thousands for a Saab 340 job, even if Logie Bear flying is a dream job that I'd love to do.

Fraggle Rock
2nd Mar 2007, 11:07
Hi,

I think there’s a lot to be said for determination and perhaps putting yourself out there. I know of someone who recently did just that, heard a rumor of interviews, fired off yet another cv but then followed it up with a call to the bossman and got an interview the very next day.

So good was his timing that he jumped the line and got the opportunity.

BMI regional have also taken on a LOT of new guys recently, some around the 500 hour mark so it can happen, I was in the right time at the right place when I got my first opportunity, but I had engineered it, just a little bit :)

There are jobs in Scotland if you look hard enough

Best of luck, it isn’t easy, but it is worth it

:ok:

MIKECR
5th Mar 2007, 07:30
Interesting, I hear another(very large) UK TP Operator are now about to start making new recruits pay for their own TR's. They shall remain nameless for just now but no doubt it will come out soon enough.

CLEAR4T/O
5th Mar 2007, 14:11
Hi all, have done a search about training in Scotland and have found that tayflight seem wuite popular. However, I can't find any information about people gaining airline positions after training in Scotland, or how training at Scottish fto's is seen by airlines. Anybody able to shed light on this?
Cheers, John
Hi John LH,
I also trained at Tayflite just last year, completing the cpl/multi/ir. Couldn't fault the place at all. Great, friendly staff who work you hard but support you all the way. Managed to complete it all in three months during the Scottish winter, which was interesting, but mostly down to there good organization and fleet.
Just for your info, I have now been employed by an airline operating a320/321. so it just shows you it can be done (even if it was north of the border and down the modular route).
Cheers.