PDA

View Full Version : Canadian Cpl(h)

snoogle
13th Aug 2006, 18:22
Hi

I have a UK issued JAR CPL(H) that I want to convert to a Canadian CPL(H). The Canadian CAA are telling me that I need to do the following:

Pass a Canadian class 1 medical - no problem, as I can do in the UK.
Pass a flight test - can't see a problem with this either. I assume this will be done by a potential Canadian employer if I was offered a job.
Pass a single exam - has anyone any clues about this please or have they done it?Cheers

Snoogle

mickbates
13th Aug 2006, 18:40
I went through this process many years ago, my e mail address is [email protected]. Drop me a line and maybe we can chat. Looking forward to hearing from u.

Brian Prowling
13th Aug 2006, 20:51
The Canadian exam is a good practical based test. Somewhere between JAA :ugh: and the FAA :zzz: exams (there is no oral exam, which is where the real testing is done in the FAA). 100 multi choice (out of 4) with about half based on a nav plot with associated perf & W&B. The flighttest is done by an MOT inspector and the employer does a base check also. From my limited dealings with the Canadian authorities, they seemed a fair bunch.
BP

paco
14th Aug 2006, 01:45
Brian - there is an oral exam for the Canadian test - you won't get airborne until after about 4 hours in an enclosed space with your examiner. He will want to know whether you can handle the CFS (Pooleys on steroids), performance graphs, etc.

Snoogle - PM me about study materials.

Phil

Brian Prowling
14th Aug 2006, 03:15
Oops, yes your quite right Paco, thanks.:O It was 9 yrs ago and I forgot about the oral. Have to say it wasn't as bad a chewing over as some of the FAA inspectors I have seen (as instructor).

paco
14th Aug 2006, 10:12
No, you're quite right - I remain impressed by the standard of Transport Canada examiners.

The usual routine is to go through the paperwork, etc, then go flying. As soon as you have updated your groundspeed and ETA for the first checkpoint within the first twenty minutes and the examiner is happy that you know what you are doing, you are diverted to another location without the luxury of a map, then you do the upper air work, then a bit of confined areas, etc.

The passenger door will come open on your first takeoff!

Phil