PDA

View Full Version : Bristol Flight Centre

menikos
21st Sep 2005, 19:15
Hi,

any feedback about that school in Bristol, it looks pretty good but who knows.

Thanks guys.

Cheers.

CPLDAN
22nd Sep 2005, 11:12
Hey Menikos

Heard lots of very good feedback from past and current students about the place. Aircraft very good, sims excellent and Instructors top notch with very good pass rates. Also great facilities in a modern purpose built establishment! I know there is some feedback dotted about PPRUNE if you have a search through.

I was so impressed that Im starting there soon so I will be able to give some personal feedback shortly!

Sorry I cant help more than that for now!

Cheers CPLDAN

727Man
22nd Sep 2005, 13:50
I to am starting there middle of October Licence Conversion, heard a lot of good things about them and it is close to home. Could not see the point in paying Gloucester £1000 deposit and having to position the aircraft to Bristol for the test and paying for the privelage, bristol only required £300 to book the course!

EGAC_Ramper
22nd Sep 2005, 14:00
Well I'm at BFC at the moment did some hour building there and found it a joy.Though I'm off to sunnier climes to finish the 70hours of P1 I need then back to Bristol to do the CPL/ME/IR in Late October early November.Great setup and all very friendly and they certainly don't mind peeps backseating either for a nosey.:D

See you's there!!

Regards

menikos
22nd Sep 2005, 20:44
Hello,

thanks guys wait for all your feedback I'm also very interested by the school but need first to finish my ATPL with BGS and after will see for the conversion of my FAA licence to JAA one.

Cheers.

Snigs
26th Sep 2005, 09:28
727Man, I'll wager that you'll spend more than the cost of positioning the a/c down to BRS by sitting at the runway holding point, or orbiting downwind, or being asked to go around the hold one more time, all due to inbound/outbound commercial traffic, it was bad enough when I was there doing my IR in 2001. That said, BFC are a very good school and I won't have anything said against them, but BRS is soooooooo much busier now. I did my CPL at Aeros, so I'd recommend them as well!

EGAC_Ramper
26th Sep 2005, 10:42
Well BFC dont charge for the waiting at hold points only from take-off.

Regards

Northernflyer43
20th Oct 2005, 16:40
Hi,

Looking at possibly doing IR at Bristol? Has anyone out there recently completed training at Bristol,any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

NF43.

Capt. Vilo
20th Oct 2005, 18:21
I have recently finished my MEP I/R CPL at Bristol. I was there for 12 weeks and can honestly say that I have no complaints. All of the instuctors are "top notch" and the a/c are very nice and all fly well. I would go down for a look around (visit Katie she's worth a look) it would be a wise choice.:ok:

Mercenary Pilot
20th Oct 2005, 18:39
Top school, probably the best around. Good facilities, nice aircraft excellent instructors and friendly staff. Most students get 1st series passes and there is a CAA test centre on site so no positioning costs/flights.

Go and have a look around, you wont get any hard sell.

727Man
21st Oct 2005, 08:48
Doing a FAA to JAA conversion at the moment all the instuctors, aircraft, faciities top notch, plus you get to Know the CAA examiner on a personnel level from the beginning which helps your nerves when it comes to exam time!

Canada Goose
21st Oct 2005, 09:35
Ditto, Ditto, Ditto !

EGAC_Ramper
21st Oct 2005, 15:18
Start with Bristol myself for the IR/ME/CPL myself and looking forward to it.Was very impressed by the setup.

Regards

genius747
28th Feb 2006, 13:08
Hello all,

I am looking at doing the 50hr MEIR course (25 Sim & 25 Seneca) at BFC.

Could anybody give any advice on their experiences there? Also does the price they quote online 11,690GBP, is it accurate? or is there other "hidden costs" such as landing fees, approach fees, surcharges etc etc..

Baisically any comments on their training from past students would be greatly appreciated. Also I have heard you don't keep the same instructer all the way through your training at BFC, is this true?

Thanks all,

G747

EGAC_Ramper
28th Feb 2006, 18:46
Greetings,

Currently at BFC and can't complain at all about and have completed ME,currently polishing of IR.When I was qouted prices for the ME/IR/CPL I was told to allow for £500 for approach and landing fee's.They also have a new computer based system that works with your pass when you join that you an track your records all the way.You can't say their wont be cost overuns and maybe perhaps you do need the extra hours or don't.Its all up to the indiviadual but can't say I've had any shocks or hidden charges.

You'll enjoy and maybe see you round the place if your starting soon.

Regards :ok:

Dan 98
28th Feb 2006, 19:18
Hi EGAC Ramper
I'm starting on Monday the 6th of March so will probably see you around.
Genius 747, my friend has just finished at BFC and had no complaints at all, he got 1st time passes in both the IR and CPL and highly rated them. I've yet to see anything bad about them to be honest.
Maybe see you there

Dan 98

nosewheelfirst
28th Feb 2006, 19:24
They are probably one of the best in the business. I went through my MEIR in just under 6 weeks and to budget. The facilities are fantastic and the instructors are top drawer. I was placed with one Sim Instructor and one Aircraft Instructor and this helped with continuity and enabled me to go through quickly. I have no hesitation in recommending BFC :ok:

NWF

genius747
1st Mar 2006, 01:51
well sounds good!!
11,690GBP seems reasonable enough for 25 hrs actual twin time plus te 25hrs sim.
Does anybody know how long the average wait is for the CAA exam, once you have been signed off for thet MEIR? And what the 1st time pass rate for MEIR exams is at BFC?

Thanks again for the previous comments.

G747

Dan 98
1st Mar 2006, 07:02
1st time pass rates nationally are about 31% i believe, the first series pass rate at BFC is in the 90%+ range so is very good.

ramshorn
1st Mar 2006, 12:17
i am starting at BFC on the 13th march.
I live in Bristol and have visited them several times and know that they have a very good reputation, especially for the IR.
Maybe see you there!:ok:

EGAC_Ramper
1st Mar 2006, 17:18
Took the F170a last Thursday,tested week later and in the minimum 55 hours alotted for hte course.No complaints and thoroughly enjoying myself.Dan 98 and Ramshorn see you soon at BFC:ok:

Regards :D

atplman
25th Apr 2006, 14:00
Hi,
I'm looking for the pros and cons of each of these IR providers. Obviosuly i'm going to visit both schools before deciding which one to go to, but at the moment i'm looking to hear from past pupils from these schools.
Thanx

boogie-nicey
25th Apr 2006, 14:02
Didn't someone say that Jerez are piping down with their modular offering in order to get more lucrative integrated students through the doors. After all that is their speciality whereas Bristol are modular heaven. I must confess I have no experience of neither but well from what I hear Bristol have somewhat of a vote from me.

atplman
25th Apr 2006, 14:04
I heard that rumour too but they are still advetising it on their website. I'm sure they'd be happy to take money of any punter offering it to them :)

EGAC_Ramper
25th Apr 2006, 15:04
At Bristol currently done the IR and can honestly say I had no complaints.Only lost out once due to bad weather.One of my fellow ATPL groundschool members was going to Jerez to do modular but opted out and is here now also at Bristol.I'll get info off him if your interested.If theres anything in particular PM me and I'd be happy to discuss over MSN or phone oyur queries.

welliewanger
25th Apr 2006, 15:04
I was there (Jerez) a few weeks ago and spoke to some modular guys who thought that theirs was the last modular course. The website does still advertise modular courses, but there's no dates, so it looks like they are stopping.

FlyUK
25th Apr 2006, 15:52
Jerez has indeed stopped modular training.

boogie-nicey
25th Apr 2006, 16:31
Go with the little guy (relatively speaking) and Bristol have been in the 'game' for a while with a fair few students having passed through their corridors. They should be an okay bet otherwise rumours against would have spread like wildfire.

Why not go down there and take a look around, speak to some bods and get a general air of the place.

atplman
26th Apr 2006, 10:38
Thanks for the responses, well if jerez is shutting down modular I guess its bristol then :) Think i was favouring bristol anyway, just fancied a bit of sunshine and my accom and board in the price

T668BFJ
26th Apr 2006, 10:51
Why not consider Airways Flight Training at Exeter.
I have recently finished there, and went there purely by overwhellming recomendations.

There were absolutely brilliant.http://www.airwaysflighttraining.co.uk/
Give Pauline a call contact details below.

Telephone :
01392 364216Fax :
01392 368255Email :
[email protected] ([email protected])Postal Address :
Building 12, Exeter Airport, EX5 2BD

atplman
26th Apr 2006, 10:58
They seem to be quite pricey as bristol is 25 a/c 25 sim for the same kind of price

boogie-nicey
27th Apr 2006, 09:11
In terms of the sunshine, get the training done and then take a well deserved holiday straight afterwards.

pipergirl
27th Apr 2006, 11:07
I checked out Airways a few months ago and weighed up the cost of a few schools against each other....
As far as I remember, Bristol were a bit more expensive...don't have the figures with me, but had it jotted down at home.
I think that the hire of aircraft for the skills test wasnt included in the price or something...i'll check it out

Airways seemed great and I know some people who left recently who were delighted with them

edymonster
16th May 2006, 12:02
Anyone who has gone to these schools could you pm your insights of these two schools, as i have both heard good comments so far but would like some info from students who have been there. Thanks for any help.

Ed

Gillespie
16th May 2006, 14:06
I went to Bristol I thought they were fantastic. Can not fault them.

Got everything passed first time, my aircraft never went tech, and I flew at least everyday, flew in the Sim twice a day. They have many aircraft including a large fleet of Senecas, all well maintained in house. They operate from an international airport so great experience in RT and Procedures.

Only down side is that you sometimes have to wait in traffic around the terminal area, but I suppose that's something you're going to have to become familiar with. They charge you wheels up to wheels down, plus 0.2 hours. so this doesn't affect the bottom line.

Only one of the schools you requested info for, but hope this helps.

EGAC_Ramper
16th May 2006, 16:26
Best advice is go along and visit both if you can.Personally my MCC partner went to Airways had no complaints and myself I went to Bristol.Again as Gillespie mentioned all well maintained aircraft I've just finished and have no complaints whatsoever.

Vmd
16th May 2006, 22:20
Bristol gets the thumbs up from me, good instructors and well maintained fleet. Can’t comment on Airways. Bristol also operates a “pay as you fly” policy, which means you don’t have to hand over large amounts of cash up front for the course.

VMD

sam34
24th May 2006, 10:19
are there other opinions about Bristol flying centre please ? :)

T668BFJ
24th May 2006, 10:33
If your reffering it Airways flight training Exeter.
Definatetly the one in my opinion.
Then I am biased I went there.

They fly the Beech Duchess, a very stable platform for the ME/IR. As with Bristol they also use the FNPT II approach to reduce costs of the course.
They have a very friendly atmosphere and the student base is kept low so they dont overcrowd and can usually keep you 2 to 1 with the same instructor.
Give them a call and pop down and see them is the best advice, if you call and there is space they may let you back seat to see what they are all about.

In terms of payment, you pay for the course after the skills test.
Dont think you can take the test then dissapear without paying though, they dont sign your forms until you have paid, i.e. even with the pass certificate the school do not release your FTO training sign off.

It is good from thepoint of view the money stays in your bank earning interest until you complete your training :rolleyes:

Obviously if you do not pass the course and are unable to finish, you do still have to pay for the training you have had, it doesnt just become free.

sam34
24th May 2006, 10:41
so you think that is good, about the payment ? sorry i'm not fluent in english...

You don't pay until you pass your course, do you ?
so what is happen if you don't pass your test ??
have you written about Airways or Bristol, ?

thank's a big!

C130Dreamer
24th May 2006, 16:21
Here are a few reasons why I chose Airways Flight Training (AFT) for my CPL/IR.

Instructors - All have previous military and/or commercial experience. These guys instruct because they want to, not because they need the hours.

Aircraft - The Duchess is a great training platform and probably one of the nicest twins I’ve flown. It has contra rotating props which make the asymmetric stuff a little easier, and two doors which makes getting in and out less of a drama!

Price - Probably one of the more competitively priced training providers you'll find in the UK.

Atmosphere - The best! Very relaxed during training with the emphasis on making sure you can pilot an aircraft, rather than looking like an aircraft pilot. You will however be advised to wear a shirt and tie for your flight test!!

Reputation - AFT has one of the best reputations going. Most of their business is through recommendation and word of mouth. Run a search through PPRuNe and see if you can find any bad posts on both schools.

At the end of the day it’s your decision. I’m sure Bristol is very good, and I think the best way forward for you is to visit both schools, as I did, and then make a choice.

Good luck. :}

sam34
24th May 2006, 16:53
So, how is the weather at Bristol or Exeter ? are there any problem doing CPL VFR ? the good périod is June July ?
I live in south of france, so I don't know very well it...

T668BFJ
24th May 2006, 18:33
I was reffering to Airways Flight Training, as I stated.
In terms of weather the main advantage of exeter is during times of marginal weather.
Exeter being at only 100ft AMSL where as Bristol is quite often hidden in the clouds.

However if your planning on doing the course in the summer, if you get good weather most likely then haze is likely to be the issue, and it wont be much different at either.

Sorry that does not help much.

Simple answer I would say Late Autumn - > end of Spring Exeter is your better bet for VFR. (not guaranteed)

You pay your money you take the chances.

Megaton
24th May 2006, 18:49
You don't see Airways Flt Training advertise that much and there's a reason for this: their reputation is so good (especially amongst military fraternity) that they don't need to.

Lee Frost
25th May 2006, 16:12
I trained at Airways. CPL in Oct /Nov - wx was pretty good - maybe I was lucky :) 3 wks. Took the IR straight after (Xmas break inbetween), finishing Feb. Don't get too roped into the weather considerations. The previous post highlighting the 100' AMSL at Exeter is helpful.

I have heard good things about Bristol as well as many others posting here. Would also recommend a personal visit to both schools.

I would wholeheartedly recommend AFT based upon my experience. Very good atmosphere, experienced, capable instructors. PM if you like.

All the best for your training, wherever you choose :)

LF

tailwheel76
26th May 2006, 09:15
I went to AFT and cannot fault them. In my experience I found Exeter is good to train at as there is low commercial traffic so you don't hang around on the ground or in the air, but busy enough to make you think. As others have said the Duchess is a great stable platform to learn on. The weather at Exeter is generally better than Bristol which will help for the CPL. The instructors are all vastly experienced and they now have a new sim. They are flexible and didn't take my money until the end of the course, and the school has a flying club (rather than school/institue) feel about it so you feel valued and enjoy your time there.

That's what I found, but the most important thing, I think, is pay them each a visit and see which one you feel most at home with.

kala87
26th May 2006, 16:49
Based on my own experience, I would recommend considering AFT at Exeter.
I can only reiterate what has already been said. It's a small, friendly school, you get to fly the BE76 Duchess on the MEIR course (much nicer handling qualities then the Seneca), and Exeter Airport is busy enough to be interesting and to give a realistic commercial setting. You pay for the basic MEIR course at the end of your 50 or 55 hours course, with no initial payment or interim payments required. If you require additional training, you pay the outstanding amount when you leave.

I can't think of any negatives. The instructors are very experienced, ex-airline and/or military, and include ex-BA, Virgin and Cathay captains. Exeter ATC|are usually most helpful. The airport has ILS and NDB approaches, and an ATIS. One of the CAA IR examiners is resident. Students sometimes include a high percentage of RAF or Navy aircrew undergoing conversion courses, who can sometimes appear incredibly confident and self-assured to a civvy student!

Why not pay them a visit?

sam34
26th May 2006, 18:10
ok thank you very much for replies!

but, I can see lot of replies about AFT and few replies about Bristol...
Ex sutdents of Bristol are not on the Forum or there are few students at Bristol..? :}

could you tell me the price of accomodation near AFT ? and the maximum distance from airport ?

thank's

C130Dreamer
26th May 2006, 20:09
Follow this link (http://www.airwaysflighttraining.co.uk/contact.htm) and contact them directly. They'll send you an up to date list of local accommodation. :ok:

too_sleepy
28th May 2006, 09:42
Hi
It might be a bit early on the course to fully recommend Bristol but so far I can't fault them.
I had some preconceptions before starting, mainly thninking they were larger than they are. Their max student count is 20 which is great. They're in a new building on the airfield with great sim rooms and loads of areas for the pre flight briefings and post debrief.
What I really like about the place is how accessable all the instructors are, including the head of training. At any time you can just call in and speak to them.

I'll post an update when I'm a bit further in the course

escobar
13th Aug 2006, 16:22
Quick question for all you current or fairly recent ex bristol flying centre students.
Would like to know which instructor you got for your instrument rating/multi/cpl, the quality of instruction and the subsequent result on your final exam. About to start there in a few weeks and would like to know the ins and outs.
Plus any tips would be hugely appreciated

nosewheelfirst
13th Aug 2006, 16:57
As MP said the standardisation is very good so it does not matter who your instructor is they are all very good. Best advice I can give you is to put a good effort in and they will bend over backwards to help you get through. Great bunch! :ok:

BlueRobin
13th Aug 2006, 17:53
Good to hear and they seem to use well fettled Senecas also (hmmm bigger twin=hmmm good). Think I shall consider, if I get through the theory. The depth of material for the "Aircraft General Knowledge" paper has got me sweating!

Cloud 99
14th Aug 2006, 21:04
Absolutely superb. Would thouroughly recommend them. They are very aware of their students needs at every stage and will react to any problems/queries very quickly. Very customer focused.:ok:

Got CPL/IR first time in min hours so as for their instruction it is second to none. A massive amount of experience and really great guys. :D

Anyway if I go on you'll not be able to train there as the instructors won't fit in the aircraft;)

Hope that helps.
PM me if you want any further info. xx

Gillespie
15th Aug 2006, 13:58
Hi guys n'girls.

I finished the CPL/MEP/IR in March from BFC. The place is truely professional. My instructor became a mentor, spending many hours per day with me. I got through first time, minimum hours in everything, and I've subsequently gone on to operate the Airbus A319 with Easyjet (through CTC).

The instructors at CTC were very impressed with my level of procedural and instrument flying and they said it was a testiment to the standards set at bfc.

Going to Bristol Flying Centre was the best decision I could have made.

Obviously a biased opinion, but hope my insight helps. Good luck with whereever you choose. This is without doubt the best job in the world.

PPL152
16th Aug 2006, 13:21
I'm also trying to consider BFC...

Can anyone give us the exact price of the CPL/ME/IR inc accomodation?

Thanks

Dan 98
16th Aug 2006, 14:21
cpl £3,299 IR £11,800 ME £1,999 these are for min hours. As for accomadation a BB will be anything from £20+per night, I rented a small house with someone else and that cost £75 a week with kitchen etc.... Check out the BFC website they have houses to rent on there and B&B's. Count on it taking at least 12 weeks, probably more if you are to do the whole thing. Those costs dont include the test fees which are about £674 now i think for the CPl and IR not sure about the multi. In a nutshell you are not going to get much change from £20K.
Good luck

Dan

PPL152
16th Aug 2006, 14:52
tks Dan, did u get any job offers after BFC?

EGAC_Ramper
16th Aug 2006, 15:13
Greetings PPL152,

If you check the BFC website and look up their monthly newsletter it does give updates to where ex BFC students are going. For example last month 1 went to Easyjet no doubt thru CTC and another went to Air Berlin. You will be able to go back through as they do list previous months.
All I can say is I enjoyed my time at Bristol and certainly have no complaints about them,small close-knit group and instructors are all very easy going and open to any questions. Even as has been mentioned both the CFI and Head Of Training don't mind you knocking on their door for a chat.:D

Regards:ok:

steepturnsonly
16th Aug 2006, 15:26
EGAC_Ramper,

How long did it take you to get CPL/ME/IR in BFC, and guess you are now looking for a job right?

Thanks,
STO

EGAC_Ramper
16th Aug 2006, 15:42
Hi Steepturnsonly,

Started IR in January finished March 2nd,then straight onto CPL finishing May 3rd. Would note about the CPL I did disappear off and do my MCC from March 23rd to 30th and had particular bad run of weather...:ugh: But alas tis the reason i chose the UK to do it in for the extra experience.
And yep currently in search of job though have been recommended to Ryanair through the link up for MCC with Parc Aviation,however I'm keeping that in my back pocket for later to see how things go.

Dan 98
16th Aug 2006, 15:51
PPL152
Yes I am now hunting for that first job, no luck yet but I think things will pick up from Sept - Dec when all the airlines start recruiting for next summer. But know I didn't get any job offers from having gone to BFC, but I think they have a very good reputation. I tried CTC but unfortunatly messed up the aptitude test at stage 2, but I believe quite a few students from BFC have done well at CTC.
I have no complaints I started on the 6th of March and finished on the 2nd of June, Multi / IR / CPL, and as previously said the instructors are good, laid back and they will pull out the stops, to give an example, the day before my CPL test I still needed to fly 1.5hrs, the aircraft I was due to test on went tech, they swiped a bit from another aircraft and i got to fly and test the next day, rather than having to rely on a courier to deliver the part in time!! There's not many schools that would do that for you. Any other questions just let me know.Good luck with your choice

Dan

steepturnsonly
16th Aug 2006, 16:48
I will seriously consider BFC as well.

Thanks for the info.

EI-Shamrock
16th Aug 2006, 19:06
I will seriously consider BFC as well ;). Nobody seems to have a bad word to say about them. I was looking into training in South Africa recently, and came across Progress Flight Academy. They have an excellent reputation too, and what do you know, when I go on to the BFC website, I find out the two schools have a "Flight Training Alliance".

Cheers :ok:

steepturnsonly
16th Aug 2006, 19:11
Yeah it surely is... but it will be a loooooong time since I'll start my professional training.

EI-Shamrock
16th Aug 2006, 19:29
Quick question: What's the story with the ATPL groundschool with BFC? Do you sort it out yourself with someone like bristol.gs?

steepturnsonly
16th Aug 2006, 19:45
do they do atpl gs?

BlueRobin
16th Aug 2006, 20:16
Two websites for you to mull over:

http://www.b-f-c.co.uk/
http://bristol.gs

(both ops are unrelated except my rough location)

Mercenary Pilot
16th Aug 2006, 20:48
do they do atpl gs?

Nope, just the fun stuff. :ok:

edymonster
17th Aug 2006, 14:27
Whats the social ife like at bristol? Not meaning going clubbing every night. But i do belive that having a good social life at school allows you to be a better pupil.

Regards

Funkie
17th Aug 2006, 14:50
edymonster,

I was there at the same time as tablet and the social life was very good. A number of us would meet up weekends or evenings for a bite to eat and a few beers etc..

Katie does organise the odd BBQ when the weather suits, with Bristol and Wessex next door to BFC, and even nights out...!!!!:ok:

All in all, a very good school with great instructors too.

steepturnsonly
17th Aug 2006, 15:14
You finished your training at BFC?

What are your job prospects now?

Funkie
17th Aug 2006, 22:03
Steepturnsonly,

Yes I have finished my training. All (the CPL/IR that is) with BFC and I would say my prospects are the same as the vast majority of other newly qualified fATPL's, be that modular of Integrated.

It would appear to be a buoyant market at present and we all make our own fortune - some times with a little help from Lady Luck!!

Why do you ask?

PPL152
17th Aug 2006, 22:19
It's interesting to try and design a pattern of who gets in a job and who doesn't....

steepturnsonly
17th Aug 2006, 22:22
I'm seriously considering BFC and also trying to see which students get into a job easier... if say CTC, FTE guys or BFC, SFC guys

:ok:

Funkie
17th Aug 2006, 22:41
I can't see the relevance!

If you feel that attending a specific school will make getting you a job any easier, then I would suggest you have bought into marketing ploys placed by Oxford et al.

The school you train at will not get you the job, it may get you an interview, but if you are poor at that stage you won’t get the job. For sure, I'm still wet around the ears in this area, but getting a job is much more than just about the flight school you paid to be at.

I would say, pick a school where you feel comfortable, has a good reputation, attend every day and work hard.

The schools are there to train you - not get you a job.

Best of luck.

EGAC_Ramper
18th Aug 2006, 07:58
I'm seriously considering BFC and also trying to see which students get into a job easier... if say CTC, FTE guys or BFC, SFC guys

:ok:

I'd entirely agree here with what Funkie says,like I've mentioned before go visit BFC's website and look through their monthly newsletters where you will find info on students where they have gone after training. More often than not BFC students are ending up either through CTC with Easyjet or recommended to Ryanair through the MCC link up with Parc Aviation. Others have found roads into Air Berlin/Ba Connect etc.

Also just to note, I have a friend who started same time as me with ATPL groundschool etc and we both finished same time.He chose Oxford integrated and albeit he has been placed with British Airways he is only 1 of 2 out of his entire clas of 18 who have jobs as yet.

I'm in agreement with Funkie times are bouyant and certainly go find somewhere you feel comfortable.

steepturnsonly
18th Aug 2006, 14:29
Yep I got the point...

BFC is my number one choice then so far. The CD and pricelist details are on their way.

Regs to all,

Cheers.;)

edymonster
18th Aug 2006, 15:09
I have anoher question about Bristol. Why do they do the ME IR before the CPL. Apart from having to build less hours intially what is the advantage and is it wise going straight to a multi engine aircraft from a PPL stage?

I am just afraid I may have more of a struggle doing it this way than the other way but the pass rates they have published must means it works.

steepturnsonly
18th Aug 2006, 15:32
edymonster,

Obviously being a PPL holder you should do some hour building to get to the required amount of hours to carry on with the CPL (you need 150hrs total time, either P1 or P2) to start the training for the commercial licence. BFC begin with the Multi Rating, move onto the Instrument Rating after that and then the Commercial last, however BFC is one of the few schools to do things that way round and you will find that many other places begin with the Commercial.

BFC's route would mean that you must do the 6hr Multi Rating, min 55 hr IR and then the CPL is reduced from 25 hr course to a 15 hr course (if you have passed the IR the CPL is only a minimum 15 hr course). There is no real 'right' or 'wrong' way, it's just different FTO's do things in different ways...you just have to decide which is best for you.

This route is by no means set in stone and they do get a few students at BFC who want to do the 25 hr CPL course first....this is fine with BFC and as it is entirely up to the student. Before you begin the flight training though you must first have passed all 14 ATPL theory exams.....BFC do not offer the ATPL theory so it's recommended that you contact either Bristol Ground School (www.bristol.gs (http://www.bristol.gs/)) or Oxford for current course prices and availability.

I do recommend that you start your CPL before ME/IR as the jump from simple 2 seater Cessna aircraft straight into a complex twin with associated applied instrument flying and approaches are vast. It would normally mean that a considerable number of extra hours IR training are required to reach the necessary standard. So although extra hours are required to build up to the 150 hours needed to commence CPL training, experience has shown that the transition from single 2 seat Cessna to simple 4 seat warrior to commence CPL training, the complex 4 seater Arrow to complete CPL training, then onto the ME twin for IR, is a far more achievable option if aiming to train in minimum hours.

I also recommend that you invest in a copy of LASORS 2006, available from the CAA (www.caa.co.uk (http://www.caa.co.uk/)) which details all requirements for the professional licences/ratings and will tell you what experience is required to undertake the courses.

Cheers Mate :ok:

Captain Spam Can
5th Oct 2006, 21:34
Any one know anything about these loans, e.g what bank are they with, are they deffered until 6 months after training and how much can you get?? Thanks.

EGAC_Ramper
6th Oct 2006, 09:23
States on their website its with Barclays Bank :}

As for the other details you should contact them and ask to see what the score is.

Regards

config-2
8th Oct 2006, 20:01
Hi,
I was just wondering from all of the guys and girls who have completed the CPL/ME/IR with BFC how they found the training course if they did the ME/IR side of things first? I mean its one hell of a jump from pottering around in a C152 to being able to perform an engine out NDB hold :eek: If you did things this way round did you pass everything first time and in minimum hours?

jetpilot84
8th Oct 2006, 20:21
config-2,

I myself completed MEIR before CPL at BFC in minimum hours with full first time passes. It is possible if you put the effort in. All my hour building was in a C150.

Yes it is quite a step up but have faith in the instructors and the school.

Jetpilot84.:)

Cloud 99
8th Oct 2006, 20:25
It is a massive jump and no-one will deny that. My first week doing the MEP I really though oh my god:eek: why am I here. However the instructors are a great support and you will find everyone feels the same (no matter where you train).

The good thing about how BFC do the training course is you do a 6hr MEP then have your whole IR (sim and aircraft) before you have to look at doing MEP class rating.

No matter what experience you have you will never feel fully ready to go into the courses, however you need to look at the support and atmosphere that you will get from the training provider. I and many others got through first time in minimum hours (or very close to) but again this depends on the individual-how quick they can learn and what other factors may affect them. Bristol do give excellant support and the instructors really do care about their students-not just as numbers and statistics.

The social side of things was really good when I was there (hello Uncle Funkie and Grandad Tablet!!) and you should find someone with a shoulder to cry on or go for a celebratory drink.

Hope this helps,

C99:p

planeshipcar
9th Oct 2006, 00:34
I am very seriously considering BFC and was wondering the following.

I don't have a car and will not be able to afford one. Is the flyer bus adequate or am I going to struggle?

Do they help set accommodation up with fellow pilots. Is this in Bristol town centre or nearer the airport - again transport.

How much money per week would a room sharing a house cost on average?

cheers

EGAC_Ramper
9th Oct 2006, 10:40
Planeshipcar,

Most of the accommodation the have numbers etc for are local to the airport. I'm sure if you asked they could try and sort you out with another student possibly with a car. I myself was lucky enough to have a brother living in Bristol and travelled up on the Flyer everyday, FREE weith your BFC pass. Certainly had no problems with the Flyer and then once at the airport you hopped on the Silver Zone car park bus to get round to BFC.

P.S. All my training completed minimum hours too and certainly feel I picked the right place to train.

config-2
9th Oct 2006, 10:50
Hi Cloud99 and jetpilot,
Thank you for your replies. I am almost certain that BFC will be my chosen school. I was just a little concerned that they do the ME/IR first seeing as the IR is meant to be the most demanding flight test we do. However, the results you guys obtained are testiment to the effort both you and the flight school put in.
Thanks again, and best of luck with your careers
Sorry, but just as a side question, would the fact that I haven't actually flown in UK airspace put me at a distinct disadvantage when I come to start the course? Would it be worth maybe going down a few days earlier to get some hours in to get used to the local area, aerodrome proecedures etc??

Cloud 99
9th Oct 2006, 19:32
This will be a factor, however shouldn't affect you too much. A lot of people had done most of their hours building abroad while I was there and it didn't seem to affect them at all. What I would recommend is have a chat to the school about it and definately go down a few days before and ask for a few back seat rides just to get used to the RT and general area.

Hope this helps, best of luck

C99

config-2
10th Oct 2006, 17:08
Hi Cloud 99 and tablet,
Thank you both for your replies. You have both put my mind at rest. To be honest I am now actually looking forward to it. I'll speak to BFC nearer the time and see what they say regarding a few hours in the local area or back-seating. Thank you again for your posts. All the best.

EGAC_Ramper
10th Oct 2006, 20:05
Hi Config-2

I'm sure BFC will be right for you, though just to note they do get booked up and so if anything I'd advise you to start certainly enquiring and letting them know your on the scope so to speak. Great school and hopefully pop back and see them all again.

Captain Spam Can
11th Jan 2007, 22:29
Received the info this morning regarding the new credit card payment scheme Bristol are doing where you don't start paying back the money till 9 months after training. Does anyone know what the APR is as it didn't say (suspicious) before i call them tomorrow?

Thanks

alphaadrian
12th Jan 2007, 09:09
Dear SpamCan
I believe the APR is similar to a storecard ie 29% or thereabouts but is interest free for 9 months from first usage. Ideal for those in a position to pay the money off before the interest kicks in but perhaps not otherwise. Give them a call Spam and check it out.Cheers.
:) Alpha

_Stein_
5th Feb 2007, 20:11
Hiya...

I am currently trying to decide where in the UK to take my flight training for my frozen ATPL licence. I am finishing my ground school in april from Oxford Aviation Training but have decided to do my flihgt training elsewhere.

I am now trying to decide between Aeros in Gloucesershire and Bristol Flying Centre.

I was wondering if I could get any experience information from member here on Pprune. I've heard alot about Bristol but I've only heard from one that wen't to Aeros.

So...anybody out there who has finished from Aeros or Bristol?

Thx... :cool:

Deano777
5th Feb 2007, 21:16
Did my CPL at Aeros, gained a 1st time pass, and I am currently ½ way through my IR with them, top instructors, top course and a top place to train, you will not regret it one bit.
Of course everyone's opinion is rather subjective as they only ever train with 1 establishment so have nothing to compare it with, go visit them and make up your own mind, good luck :ok:

:edited: to say, with Aeros you only get 2 students per instructor, and the IR is split 25hrs Sim - 25hrs aircraft, definitely a plus point, and their CPL/IR FTP rates are stunningly great :D

captain_rossco
5th Feb 2007, 22:37
2 of the lads at the school I was just at (they were building hours) said that BFC was quite simply the dogs ********. They were insistant there's not a better school about. Both did MULTI CPL IR and were full of praise. Obviously, its difficult to compare one school against another as most people only do each module once at one school. I'll be giving it a look on Tuesday.

Best Regards

Rossco

combineharvester
6th Feb 2007, 08:55
Hi there,

Did both the CPL and IR with Aeros last year, gaining a 1st time pass in both. The standard of the instrucution was excellent. For the CPL one distinct advantage is Gloucester has 6 available runways so only the windiest days will see you grounded. Also it was very rare for the circuit to be too busy to accomodate training. Sadly this is not the case at Bristol as its a far busier airport. BFC have the backup of being able to transit over to Kemble (about 30nm NE) to do their circuits. A perfectly reasonable situation but not the best when the weather is crap for nav but fine for the circuit at the base airfield. The opposite to that argument is that BFC are based at the local CAA exam centre for the IR. So if your with Aeros you will do transit lessons landing at bristol, then conducting a route out of BRS. Again not a significant operational problem.
Both schools benefit from a reasonable size fleet and in-house maintenance.

The best advice as always is to visit both schools if you can and see which one is best for you.

_Stein_
6th Feb 2007, 13:06
Thanks for the replies boys. I am at least gonna go and check Aeros out. I've got a good feeling about that place so there is a good chance that I will end up there...

cheers...

sam34
6th Feb 2007, 22:44
This is a quote from Bristol's (lfying center) website :

"Aircraft training (incl solo hire) is billed at airborne + 0.2."

I do not understand... 0.2 what ? peanuts ?
is it a fee ??

Would you mind explaining me that?

thanks

Deano777
6th Feb 2007, 23:07
0.2 of an hr, so that's 12 minutes (obviously) :)

sam34
6th Feb 2007, 23:13
ok thank you very much!

so if I understood, each flight we would have to pay 1 hour plus 12 min ??

Deano777
7th Feb 2007, 06:34
Yes indeed, take off to land plus 12 minutes :)

combineharvester
7th Feb 2007, 08:24
I believe Aeros charge for Airborne +10 minutes.

now it may sound like im splitting hairs here, but think! the IR training rate at both schools is about £6 per minute! Just imagine what you could do with that extra 12 pounds! As one of thte instrcutors there said to me:

"its the most fun you can have outside of soho for 6 quid a minute"

At the time i begged to differ, not that i've ever experienced what you actually get in soho for six quid

Deano777
7th Feb 2007, 21:48
Combine

You are right, Aeros is airbourne + 10 minutes, and yes £6 per minute soon mounts up if you take the odd 2 minutes from every flight, I did a 2hr 5min flight in the Seneca today but due to traffic we were held at the holding point on the ground which meant the airbourne time was 1hr 40 + the 10 minutes, you do the sums :ok:

quichemech
7th Feb 2007, 21:53
Not a bad egg and bacon sarny though:rolleyes:

Oxfordman
19th May 2008, 10:03
I am a high time pilot (6000 hours total, 2000 hours flight instructor). Most of my experience in small turboprop and Piper Chieftain aircraft. I recently contacted BFC and spoke with Roy Hitchon about an IR conversion. I was interested in the 10 sim/5 multi program. Roy was very adamant in trying to sell me an IR conversion at 10 multi/5 sim instead of the above.

I asked, "What is the average time of completion that a pilot, with experience as myself, can expect for IR conversion?" He said, "It depends on skill." That wasn't a good enough answer so I asked him again. "What can I expect to see for a completion of an IR conversion?" His response did not make any sense. He said, "American Instrument Ratings are not any good and people will have a hard time flying in the UK." It was a very negative answer.

I was very patient with Roy. In doing so, he admitted that I needed to budget for 30 hours.

I would be very careful with this school for 2 reasons. BFC markets 15 hours IR conversion. This is misleading. Also they are not confident enough, in my eyes as an experienced professional instructor, in their ability to pass people in a given and fair amount of time.

I have seen this strategy of flight schools to make money time and time again. For a school that has been around for ages, BFC must certainly have enough experience, and confidence, to complete IR conversions in a given and set time. Flight schools will entrap a student making them feel guilty about the amount of time and money spent during their course of training thereby psychologically inhibiting that student from leaving and seeking training elsewhere.

Roy specified each flight takes 1.5 hours at a cost of 370 GBP per hour. This is approximately 555 GBP per flight. That is too much money to gamble in a school that cannot give me a concrete answer. I asked him, "What if I need more time?" He said, "We'll give you a deal?"

I will not be attending this school.

Good luck with your training

Parson
19th May 2008, 10:15
Roy is a good chap and I guess that he was trying to be realistic in advising you how long it will take to convert your IR. I imagine they are fairly busy at present and it would not be in their interests to offer you a 'deal' etc.

They have alot of experience in converting overseas IRs, more than other modular schools I would think. When I was there, the guys converting all took alot longer than the min hours. They have experienced instructors, a good fleet of PA-34s, the sims are indentical to the a/craft, and there is a CAA examiner on site. All things in your favour when looking to convert in as few hours as possible.

If you haven't already, I suggest you pop along to see the set up and chat face-to-face before discounting them.

AlphaMale
19th May 2008, 10:31
Oxfordman, why are you digging up posts from over a year ago? You've made 3 posts about B-F-C and they all read exactly the same? I can't see the mods being too pleased with your spamming antics. :uhoh:

Wee Weasley Welshman
19th May 2008, 11:40
I'm not. He's thread banned from this discussion.

Shipsmate
22nd May 2008, 13:42
Whys everyone so angry at Oxford? I wish I got that advice a long time ago before I went to BFC. Would have saved me tons of cash

Se note regarding Shipsmate on the other BFC thread - Admin

Parson
22nd May 2008, 13:55
Not necessarliy angry, just trying to balance his argument - though dragging up 3 old threads is a bit suspicious. BFC is a good school and has stood the test of time. Those looking for training options will often search here first for opinions. And I have no axe to grind.

spitfirebbmf
29th May 2008, 14:33
On a more positive note..............

What sort of connections with the airline/cargo/air taxi worlds has BFC got ?

Do they recommend students ?

Thanks in advance.

too_sleepy
31st May 2008, 20:17
Hi. For many reasons I haven't posted anything in months but I'd really like to jump to Roys defence.
Firstly to ask any school to give you an exact number of hours to complete a conversion is crap. The same for an IR, any published hours are minimum hours you'll be flying. Someone with as much experience as Oxfordman should know this.
You really would be shooting yourself in the foot if you take BFC off your list.

BFC handled my CPL Multi/IR flight training with absolute professionalism. They were more expensive than most other modular schools but every day I entered their building I knew I'd get value for money. Instruction really was superb, damm swipe cards to enter the building and pay for flights.
Real brefing rooms, with whiteboards that are actually used after every flight.
Accessable computerized flight and student accounts and full access to the instructors. Open door policy with anyone in BFC, if you fancied a chat with Roy he always made time.

Once I reached the IR stage I was short on time. There's not much a school can do as they've got lots of students but they did tolerate and even encourage my own timetable modifications to fit in extra flights and sim sessions.

The day of my IR skill test I was actually short 1.2 hours so they arranged a quick pre flight with an instructor. I was only short because I took the test a few days early when another student cancelled.

I know schools change as instructors leave so a recommendation isn't worth much and I'd always we hesitant to offer one because of that: based on my experience though I'd wholeheartedly recommend BFC.

I had bad flights in the sim and aircraft, aircraft did go tech, instructors are sometimes sick, but my God it's the real world and **** happens. When it did happen BFC were right on the ball organizing extra flights or offering a different instructor.

I've been through a few more training phases since Bristol and at each phase I've commended myself for choosing BFC.

If I could I'd walk you in the door and introduce you to all the guys in Bristol and show you the sim and aircraft, chat about accomadation and great scenary around the area. Please read this post as a virtual introduction to BFC. With your experience you know how bad training can effect your flying, you've invested too much so far to wipe these guys off your list.