PDA

View Full Version : Navy Merlins

Fafner shim
13th Aug 2006, 14:23
Sod all use in the current operational climate, Put them to bloody work where they are needed. Rip out the cold war Kit and join the here and now.
Yes I am p:mad: off.

Oggin Aviator
13th Aug 2006, 14:37
Why are you so pi**ed off? ..... or just fishing?

Fafner shim
13th Aug 2006, 14:58

That about sums it up !

WE Branch Fanatic
13th Aug 2006, 15:14
Fafner

Please explain your point.

Spanish Waltzer
13th Aug 2006, 16:28
They could do with an effective DAS - I hear that they were c**k all use during the recent Beruit evacuation despite the rush to get helos there because the decision had been made not to allow aircraft without DAS into theatre.

Oggin Aviator
13th Aug 2006, 16:32

That about sums it up !

Many moons ago .........

....... and for those who know me know that I don't actually fly the Merlin however will defend them against random posts from people new to this forum.

Fafner shim
13th Aug 2006, 18:51
Good for You Oggin !
New to the forum but 12 years in the bag at Culdrose entitles me to let off some steam. My comments were meant for those higher up the food chain so, easy Tiger!!. The Aircrew and Engineers at Seahawk need defending though. They are my Closest friends and in my 'purple world' I am constantly fighting there cause.
There is a perception North of the Tamar Bridge that Culdrose has gone native and adopted the Cornish Mantra of "we dont do change."
Well here is the chance to prove them wrong. The SH fleet needs an injection of assets and manpower and its time to step up to the plate.
It may take time and money but we are in this for the long haul.
Now if you don't Mind ,I have some AT to catch (again!!)

Fafner has left the country
Thank you very Much

Si Clik
13th Aug 2006, 20:13
Fafner,

You are clearly not aware on the constant effort that goes into providing the Merlin across a number of theatres at present and that our primary role does still exist. We in the Merlin community haven't gone native at all andhave been prepared (recently) to offer a good deal of self deployable hardware across various parts of the globe. Give us the kit/training and we will come!!

SI

Biggus
14th Aug 2006, 07:14
You want the kit and training before you go? What's so special about the Merlin fleet?

I know of many people/assets that have already 'gone' without/short of one or other, or both!

Pierre Argh
14th Aug 2006, 10:43
Fafner is obviously of the "knee-jerk reaction" brigade... i.e. more troop lift capability would be nice today, so screw any bigger picture considerations and overall capability, let's convert everything to troop lift and scrap the rest! I believe trials were once undertaken to see if SF troops could be carried in a modified Harrier droptank, which would open over the target and allow the occupant to parachute to the ground. I wonder if Fafner was behind that too?

althenick
14th Aug 2006, 11:26
... Makes perverse sense in a way - as long as merlin is replaced Aircraft for Aicraft by NH90.

PTC REMF
14th Aug 2006, 19:45
Fafner is obviously of the "knee-jerk reaction" brigade... i.e. more troop lift capability would be nice today, so screw any bigger picture considerations and overall capability, let's convert everything to troop lift and scrap the rest!

"The big picture"? Is that the same big picture we've had for twenty years; of a chronic lack of SH and AT whilst squandering billions on air display fast jets?

Two's in
15th Aug 2006, 01:22
How long would a fleet of just SH and transport ac last in the first few days of a conflict without the presence of "airshow" jets?

Surely that would depend entirely on the ever changing threat scenario? RPG 7s and IEDs are awfully fashionable in our current spats (funny how fashions always come back around) rather than hoards of swanky Warsaw Pact fixed wing "threats".

PTC REMF
15th Aug 2006, 09:56
How long would a fleet of just SH and transport ac last in the first few days of a conflict without the presence of "airshow" jets?

I'm more worried about an 11 year old kid with an RPG than Mig 29s and have been for the past twenty years.

Fatman
24th Aug 2006, 20:42
Sorry Fafner You 're way off the mark. Get a look at the bigger picture & have a really good nose at what & where the Merlins are upto today. For one who sat off Beirut & wanted to get stuck in I know its very frustrating but sometimes the bigger picture has an overriding effect on what we get next. There is a lot riding on CSP procurement and where we operate now will probably dictate what we will buy. DAS IS LIKE THE EMPERORS NEW CLOTHES-IT WILL NOT STOP YOU GETTING SHOT DOWN if you put yourself in harms way and we would be making a huge error if we thought we could just bolt it on and charge over the beach.

the funky munky
24th Aug 2006, 23:34
You may be very interested to know that I heard on the West country grapevine that the dozen storage Merlin cabs may be UORed. Thus turning them into a very useful and welcome SH fleet to bolster the Mk 3s with a decent DAS among other items.
I think the head sheds got peeved that everytime the NAO and Defence select committee look at rotary wing its nice but not enough SH or lift.
All we need to do now is mod the rest of the SeaKing Mk 6 to 6c and retire Puma and no worries.

Rangeblind
25th Aug 2006, 22:28
Fry it, sick to death of the politics of a fabulous aircraft driven into the ground by a Fleet HQ dominated by Lynx centric one, and half stars. Spend some money on what you want it to do, or accept it in its current role, ps build some ships that can operate it as well.

vecvechookattack
24th Sep 2006, 10:46
Any news on the decision to rip the kit out of a merlin and use it as a troop carrying a/c ?

the funky munky
24th Sep 2006, 19:46
Unfortunately things don't happen as quick in IPT land. You need a business case signed off by every erk in the place. Although cause it is a UOR it may get done in the next 2 years or so, just as we don't need them.